Wonder Woman (spoiler thread) - skip to pg. 14 for actual movie discussion

Corvinus85

I haven't seen it yet, but started this thread now as early reviews are coming in, and they're positive.

Also, need to give a shout out to @Howdyphillip - the Alamo Drafthouse has stirred some controversy, because they dared, DARED I SAY, to have a women's only screening. http://www.businessinsider.com/alamo-drafthouse-ladies-only-wonder-woman-screening-incites-backlash-2017-5 The outcry is hilarious.

Anyway, my excitement for the movie is growing, but I remain cautiously optimistic. 

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I haven't seen it yet, but started this thread now as early reviews are coming in, and they're positive.

Also, need to give a shout out to @Howdyphillip - the Alamo Drafthouse has stirred some controversy, because they dared, DARED I SAY, to have a women's only screening. http://www.businessinsider.com/alamo-drafthouse-ladies-only-wonder-woman-screening-incites-backlash-2017-5 The outcry is hilarious.

Anyway, my excitement for the movie is growing, but I remain cautiously optimistic. 

Agreed about looking forward to the movie a bit and that the outcry about some women-only showings is hilarious.  I read about it earlier today over on Slate.  I especially liked this part:

It is, of course, very heartening to see so many men joining the fight for gender equality because a theater chain announced a handful of screenings dedicated to women's empowerment. I for one am confident that they will voice similar outrage when they learn that women only accounted for only 29% of movie protagonists in 2016, and I can’t wait to hear how they plan to protest the disproportionately wide gender pay gap that exists in Hollywood! Keep up the good fight, lads!

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

Agreed about looking forward to the movie a bit and that the outcry about some women-only showings is hilarious.  I read about it earlier today over on Slate.  I especially liked this part:

Even it it wasn't about feminism, it's like these people never heard of a ladies only night at an entertainment venue.

I'm sure WB are really hoping to stir up some contraversy here with this women night, by positioning Wonder Woman as this great feminist figure to get behind against the evil men's rights activists.

Obviously people are going to get upset about this, you have a special night of anything and say only certain demographics are allowed and you are looking to get people's backs up.

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Obviously people are going to get upset about this, you have a special night of anything and say only certain demographics are allowed and you are looking to get people's backs up.

How fucking boring does your life have to be for you to get upset over a women's only screening of a comic book movie? Holy shit. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/wonder-womans-hairless-armpits-have-angered-feminists_uk_58d11402e4b00705db5275ed

“I mean, she is this beautiful empowered female, yet there is still the underlying message that we have to attain to societal standards of beauty. It gives us the idea that it doesn’t matter if we are too busy (in Wonder Woman’s case, saving the world), armpit hair is unattractive and therefore it must be removed.”

How fucking boring does your life have to be to complain about the armpit hair of a superhero!

I suspect WB were as happy about the "women only screening" as the makers of "the exorcist" were when the catholic church stood outside of screenings condemning it.

This sort of thing happens quite often with films now eg Mad Max: Fury Road and Ghostbusters. It's easy hype and also good for drawing out trolls and generating debate.

Unless it's an advance screening then I don't see what the problem is. People/men can choose to watch the film elsewhere if it irks them.

44 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

People get outraged over everything on the internet, I guess everyone has boring lives.

Indeed. Plus, with anything like this with a few billion people to observe there's going to be at least a handful who'll get upset. Or simply see the oppotunity for some trolly comments

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

Unless it's an advance screening then I don't see what the problem is. People/men can choose to watch the film elsewhere if it irks them.

I think there is a bit of a difference between a showing where women are encouraged to come and view the movie or incentivised to do it, and out right BANNING men (which I'm sure isn't actually legal?)

Clearly this is a move to get people talking and to position Wonder Woman as the victim, in the same way the same level of controversy was encouraged to position the Ghostbusters remake as a feminist movie rather than what it was ( a very unfunny money grab) 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

How fucking boring does your life have to be for you to get upset over a women's only screening of a comic book movie? Holy shit. 

exactly.... "oh us poor, oppressed white heterosexual christian males!".... 

.... on another note... Gal Gadot has intense of a pair of eyes I've ever seen.... they really serve her well in this role... when she gives that "You shouldn;t have done that, now I'm going to kick your ass" look, she's easy to believe in the role...

2 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

exactly.... "oh us poor, oppressed white heterosexual christian males!".... 

.... on another note... Gal Gadot has intense of a pair of eyes I've ever seen.... they really serve her well in this role... when she gives that "You shouldn;t have done that, now I'm going to kick your ass" look, she's easy to believe in the role...

You can just come out and say she's hot. Thats ok.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I think there is a bit of a difference between a showing where women are encouraged to come and view the movie or incentivised to do it, and out right BANNING men (which I'm sure isn't actually legal?)

Why do you care? And, as an aside, have you spent as much time talking about the lack of women writing the GOP Senate healthcare bill as you have about the Ladies Only showing of fucking Wonder Woman The Movie?  

2 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

I think they could have made her look cooler. It looks like they couldn't decide between classic Wonder Woman and full on Xena Warrior Princess and just settled on some sort of mutt breed of the two.

OK, what do you mean by cooler? This a bit vague. I think she looks cool. I guess in some versions she is wearing pants? But I like the look of her armor, the boots especially. I think the outfit she had in BvS was a bit too much like Xena, but with the red-blue-yellow colors, I think this armor works nicely. And Gal Gadot, I think, fits the role quite well, too.

22 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

You can just come out and say she's hot. Thats ok.

Right.... Because saying her eyes are intense is the same as "She's a sex object".... Do you have any hobbies other than being an anonymous, attention seeking message board provocateur?

3 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Right.... Because saying her eyes are intense is the same as "She's a sex object".... Do you have any hobbies other than being an anonymous, attention seeking message board provocateur?

Its ok to want to have sex with her, you shouldn't be afraid of your emotions. You don't have to dress it up with 'she has intense eyes'

10 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Its ok to want to have sex with her, you shouldn't be afraid of your emotions. You don't have to dress it up with 'she has intense eyes'

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure Martini Sigil said exactly what he meant. Yes, Gal Gadot is incredibly beautiful, and most of us could only dream, but his comment about her eyes is clearly in regard to her suitability for this role. Not sure why you need to be snarky about it.

Movie theater sets up women only viewing for a film about a very meaningful female character.  Man tries to force another man to treat a woman like a sex object.  Man wonders why women might enjoy a women only space.  

Archived