Wonder Woman (spoiler thread) - skip to pg. 14 for actual movie discussion

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Hahahahahahahaa.  It's an special event for woman. There is nothing in the announcement that discusses equality.  It discusses it being a special event for women to celebrate a superheroine. 
https://drafthouse.com/austin/show/women-only-screening-wonder-woman

Again, just because you weren't invited to a special event doesn't make it somehow illegal or problematic.  Cinemas (and all sorts of businesses) have special events all the time based on gender or age or occupation, etc.

Nobody was 'invited' it was public. Which is the issue. Its for the public.. except if you identify as a man. 

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Nobody was 'invited' it was public. Which is the issue. Its for the public.. except if you identify as a man. 

People who identify as women were invited.  Those who don't identify as women aren't invited.  It's a one night special celebration.  What the fuck do you think this discussion is all about.

I have high hopes for this film, but I had the same for MoS and BvS. In the latter, I enjoyed the WW scenes most.

The "controversy" around this is like having a "controversy" about ladies night at your local pub. Or your hairdresser asking a higher price for a women's haircut than a men's haircut.

This is all about the bottom line, it's not a great feminist statement, it's not a perfidious discrimination of men, it's just a company doing a clever marketing thing.

https://www.inverse.com/article/31206-will-wonder-woman-be-feminist

“Feminism is about equality and choice and freedom. And the writers, Patty and myself all figured that the best way to show that is to show Diana as having no awareness of social roles. She has no gender boundaries. To her, everyone is equal.” GADOT

So the movie is trying to position itself as being about feminist ideals and equality, the above comment is rather ironic.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

People who identify as women were invited.  Those who don't identify as women aren't invited.  It's a one night special celebration.  What the fuck do you think this discussion is all about.

No real discussion here. He's just going to keep at it, for obvious reasons. Must suck to be an old insecure white dude. 

10 minutes ago, Relic said:

No real discussion here. He's just going to keep at it, for obvious reasons. Must suck to be an old insecure white dude. 

You're right.  I don't know why I bother.

I also have to laugh because it's doubtful that I'll see this film in theaters.  It's not one I'd bring the kids too (and not just because it's PG13, but also because I'll miss most of it because they'll be disruptive and have to use the bathroom a million times) and I have other films I'd want to see before this one while they are at their camps.  And also, I'm just not a fan of DC stuff.  I can't think of a single film I've really enjoyed and all the tv shows have fallen off my watch list. 

However, not gonna lie, if my local theater had a women only special event, I'd probably go just because the type of men who are against that sort of celebration would be the same ones who would make the screening miserable or annoying to begin with. It would be lovely to have that sort of peace just once at a film showing.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

However, not gonna lie, if my local theater had a women only special event, I'd probably go just because the type of men who are against that sort of celebration would be the same ones who would make the screening miserable or annoying to begin with. It would be lovely to have that sort of peace just once at a film showing.

You keep mentioning this but I have no idea what you are referring to. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It would be lovely to have that sort of peace just once at a film showing.

Hope you get to experience it, and not just once. 

7 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

You keep mentioning this but I have no idea what you are referring to. 

Psst.  There's this dude in this thread who tried to force another person to turn an actress into a sex object.  Then that dude complained about not being invited to a women's only party and now that dude is even feigning ignorance.

Hint, it's you.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Psst.  There's this dude in this thread who tried to force another person to turn an actress into a sex object.  Then that dude complained about not being invited to a women's only party and now that dude is even feigning ignorance.

Hint, it's you.

Yes. Very funny. 'cough'

But seriously, if you have people shouting out sexist abuse in movie theatres I suggest you have them removed.. but then I've never seen or heard of this happening, so your fear of this seems a little unjustified.

9 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

So if it is discrimination, it's technically illegal then? 

Im not sure that discrimination could ever be described as a good thing

Let's clarify something: discrimination is not by itself illegal in the US, and never has been.

• Certain services MUST be allowed for everyone, including any government service. Things like renting houses cannot be discriminated against based on race or sex.
  • You cannot employ people in a discriminatory way (though there are exceptions to this as well)

But non-essential services and private institutions can (and do) discriminate all the time. Clubs are perfectly allowed to have men or women only memberships, and this has been held up again and again. Institutions like the Boy Scouts are allowed to have only boys. Dance places can have ladies-only nights. You can sue if you want, but the amount of case law against it is absurdly high.

As to discrimination being a good thing or bad thing, it's clearly a good thing in some situations and there's very little reasonable argument against it. Having like-minded people with similar backgrounds being able to talk to each other and experience things just for them has been shown again and again to be valuable for everyone. 

This has nothing - nothing - to do with women being a protected class, and it would be just as legal for there to be a men's only showing or even there to be a men's only theater that did nothing but show movies to men. 

7 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Ok so that doesn't happen to you then. Good to know you were just being hysterical. 

You're in England, right? I bet it doesn't happen there.

It happens all the time in the US. As do actual fights. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

You're in England, right? I bet it doesn't happen there.

It happens all the time in the US. As do actual fights. 

Well if you go to dodgy theatres over here then there might be fights too, but its mostly a rarity. England isn't the cultured polite place you see in the movies for clarification.

But thanks for clearing up the legal side of it. I doubted it would have been illegal, but wanted to ask the question. I did look it up and it does seem that 'ladies night' is outlawed in certain states? So its clearly a bit of a grey area. 

Either way I don't actually care about the legality, its more the message and the hypocrisy of a movie pushing a theme of equality and feminism but at the same time making a clearly provocative move to get media attention. It has so many echoes of the Ghostbusters 'controversy', who used the 'white male loser' argument to deflect from the awfulness of their product. I just hope that WW is good and this isn't what is happening.

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Well if you go to dodgy theatres over here then there might be fights too, but its mostly a rarity. England isn't the cultured polite place you see in the movies for clarification.

But thanks for clearing up the legal side of it. I doubted it would have been illegal, but wanted to ask the question. I did look it up and it does seem that 'ladies night' is outlawed in certain states? So its clearly a bit of a grey area. 

That is a state specific law, and specific to certain areas. Heck, in  the US it's illegal in some places to drink unless you belong to a club, so you have to buy a membership in order to drink. 

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Either way I don't actually care about the legality, its more the message and the hypocrisy of a movie pushing a theme of equality and feminism but at the same time making a clearly provocative move to get media attention. It has so many echoes of the Ghostbusters 'controversy', who used the 'white male loser' argument to deflect from the awfulness of their product. I just hope that WW is good and this isn't what is happening.

Ghostbusters was fine and fun. It wasn't great, but boy did some people get worked up to incredible degrees.

The movie didn't make any provocative moves; that was the Alamo Drafthouse, which is one theater in one place. It certainly is garnering media attention, though I doubt it would have gathered anything if men hadn't freaked out about being excluded from a comic thing for the first time in their life. 

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Ghostbusters was fine and fun. It wasn't great, but boy did some people get worked up to incredible degrees.

Ghostbusters sucked, and I had no real opinion on the all female aspect of it. Just a tired, uncreative, unfunny, hackneyed remake that I believe did benefit from the controversy.

In the Ghostbusters case it turned out that those who had complained about the movie on a purely gender level were an extreme minority, most complained that the movie was simply awful and unfunny. But the narrative turned into being about sexism because that helped the movie to position itself as a victim . I'm sure the media attention to this incident is manufactured on some level as well.

21 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

So, about the film then, any good or what?  Or do we have to have another 5 pages of horseshit before we get onto the subject of the thread? 

The movie has not been released yet, so unless someone on this forum has had early access, we can only talk about what we've seen so far, including all this 'horseshit' stuff. Early reviews are positive, though.

Archived