Wonder Woman (spoiler thread) - skip to pg. 14 for actual movie discussion

Corvinus85

36 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

No, honestly I don't care about the screening. But I, and I guess most of these ' man babies' are well aware that if the situation was reversed, if for instance there was a screening a few years ago for the Dark Knight that only men were allowed into, and women were out right banned from watching, then things would get nuclear. There would be protests against the movie, Nolan himself would be hanged and the Patriarchy would be blamed for the whole thing. 

It's the reaction to the reaction that interests and annoys me most, the outrage at the outrage. 

Well, ask yourself one question: WHY do people find it necessary with a women only screening? (or in this case two) What could possibly be the reason behind it? Why would women on certain occasions find it a relief to be in an environment free from men? Could you imagine a reason? If so, what reason?

And really, to the people dragging chromosomes into this, ZZZzzzzzzZZZ. Go argue in the feminist thread about "chromosomes" and "destiny" and I will kindly recommend you "Sexing the Body" by Anne Fausto-Sterling.

As for the viewing:

1. Female superhero finally, for female viewers, which is a previously neglected group.Since it isn't stopping anyone else from seeing it elsewhere, it is hardly something that should cause Male Tears. Why so threatened? Women Do Things Without Men. Is this the Moral Slippery Slope that means the Oligarchy will finally take over? Well...

2. As far as I understand, proceeds go to charity, hence no capitalism meddling with the feminist cause. I am ok with that, and if I am so should you be.

3. "Reverse sexism" always makes me giggle. *sigh* Read Bell Hooks "The Will to Change" and Understand it isn't reverse sexism, it is sexism just aimed at men. Knowledge is power, people.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Oh so this is about safe spaces now?? Riiiight.:

Did I say it was? Please show me where. I want the EXACT location.

EDIT: But as YOU mentioned it, clearly YOU think women ought to have safe spaces. Why do you think that, Channel4s-JonSnow?

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

This troll outrage is beyond pathetic.  Why not give all that pseudo outrage to the Manchester, England terrorist whose hideous decision and act has prevented Wonder Woman's premiere there -- nobody can see it!  O - wait, that terrorist targets were girls . . . .

Movie theaters are rented for private viewings -- parties, charities etc. -- all the time.  The proceeds of these screenings go to Planned Parenthood.

There is not a single person in the world who will be prevented from seeing this comic book on screen by these women only screenings.

Whereas women everywhere pay more for a blouse to be cleaned at a dry cleaners or laundry than a man's shirt.  The same for hair cuts, you name it.  Yet nobody seems to mind that . . . .

Mhmm, I wonder where this outrage is when it comes to our pink tax.  But they miss out on a single auditorium's screening at a single theater and RAGE.  Then they wonder why such a screening is taking place.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Wow. I have been following this topic for a few days now and what the hell? Who knew a WW topic would generate such animosity?

For the record, I am not a scientist, far from it, didn't really care for it in school. I am also not religious. I don't hate religions i just don't believe in them. So does my opinion of what a man and woman is count? Last I knew the being born with dangly parts between the legs was a male and the being born with the vajayjay was a female.

My feelings towards the movie based on the previews has been luke warm but I do plan to see it, if not this weekend then for sure next.

No, it doesn't count. 

50 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

No, honestly I don't care about the screening. But I, and I guess most of these ' man babies' are well aware that if the situation was reversed, if for instance there was a screening a few years ago for the Dark Knight that only men were allowed into, and women were out right banned from watching, then things would get nuclear. There would be protests against the movie, Nolan himself would be hanged and the Patriarchy would be blamed for the whole thing. 

It's the reaction to the reaction that interests and annoys me most, the outrage at the outrage. 

The two are not analogous situations. You sound like one of those people who says "I don't see skin color", and expects that to be the end of racism. Except, of course, if you've treated a class of people based on a biased standard for centuries, or in this case, millenia, then suddenly say "hey welcome to the 21st century where *everything* is strictly equal, no advantages to anyone", you're only repackaging the old biases in new language.

I don't think this is about safe spaces. This is about celebrating a comic book icon that has an (admittedly variable) tie to female empowerment. The celebration is restricted to those whose empowerment the event seeks to celebrate.

If you have a male only showing of the Dark Knight, you wouldn't, of course, be able to celebrate empowerment. You'd only be celebrating exclusion, and reinforcement of the societal structures we're still trying to fight. 

That context is crucial to why a female only showing to celebrate empowerment sounds okay, and shouldn't generate controversy, but a male only showing of a movie sounds asinine.

Lyanna, you asked why women would need a place away from men, suggesting they might in fact need one. If I misunderstood your comment then correct me, that's the problem with heavy sarcasm.

i wasn't aware that going to the movie theatre was such a dangerous experience for women; all those men sitting silently watching movies, it must be horrible.

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

How does it celebrate empowerment to completely exclude men? All that does is celebrate division and separation. 

The exclusion of men isn't the celebration. The celebration is of a movie about a female superhero. Its like, say, Indians had a party when they got independent and didn't invite the British. Sure, that party would be discriminating against the Brits, but the party is about Indians and celebrating their independence. The exclusion of the Brits is by the way, not at the root of the celebration. 

But you are using the exclusion of one gender to celebrate empowerment? Does that sound like a positive message? 

You can imagine almost any other situation where the variables are different and they reaction would be massive. A showing of Get Out only for black people, if you are mixed race you aren't allowed in, White people are definitely banned.

The Great Wall, Chinese people only , maybe if you are Korean. Black people are banned.

Marley and me.. labradors only. No cats/

16 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

But you are using the exclusion of one gender to celebrate empowerment? Does that sound like a positive message? 

No. The exclusion of one gender isn't what is being used to celebrate empowerment. They clearly aren't celebrating the absence of men in the screening, or, in fact, the movie, so I'm not sure how you reach this conclusion.

And don't you feel even a smidgen of absurdity at accusing women of celebrating the exclusion of men while women are routinely excluded from almost everything? Do you stay away from every movie that doesn't allow women even a named speaking role? I doubt it.

You can imagine almost any other situation where the variables are different and they reaction would be massive. A showing of Get Out only for black people, if you are mixed race you aren't allowed in, White people are definitely banned.

I'd have no problem with it being an African-american only showing. Why would someone of mixed race not be allowed in? Why is that an analogy to this event?

The Great Wall, Chinese people only , maybe if you are Korean. Black people are banned.

You know such showings happen, right? The Indian Student Association at my university recently screened an Indian movie. And members of the association only were invited. Black people weren't, and they didn't see the need to protest it either.

But also... the gall of suggesting that the Chinese would have any interest in celebrating, let alone have an exclusive showing of, a movie that puts a white man in charge of saving China is so absurd that I burst out laughing at work. 

Marley and me.. labradors only. No cats/

Wait... you're asking for a mixed dog-cat movie screening to prove your point??? See how crazy this makes you sound?

No matter how you look at it, they still banned men from the screening. Their aim might be one thing but they have inadvertently sent out a message of division instead. Why should female empowerment exclude men? ( again the whole event wasn't really about female empowerment but about creating news headlines, and that is what they got so good on them)

If there was a movie event for black people only, at what percentage white do you stop people coming in? What if someone is African but looks a bit white, are they allowed?. You see? It's a very dangerous ground.

Can I ask how many African and Chinese people were members of the Indian society? An event specifically for members of a club for people from India right? :)

Its ridiculous to create an event based on exclusion and separation and frame it as a positive, and as I said, if it was any other group the anger would be palpable.

This is why man babies are upset, not because they really want to go to this movie, but because they see the constant hysteria and over reaction to seemingly minor slights and insults and realise that there a number of double standards that apply ,and god help you if you mention them.

No matter how you look at it, they still banned men from the screening. Their aim might be one thing but they have inadvertently sent out a message of division instead. Why should female empowerment exclude men? ( again the whole event wasn't really about female empowerment but about creating news headlines, and that is what they got so good on them)

If there was a movie event for black people only, at what percentage white do you stop people coming in? What if someone is African but looks a bit white, are they allowed?. You see? It's a very dangerous ground.

Can I ask how many African and Chinese people were members of the Indian society? An event specifically for members of a club for people from India right? :)

Its ridiculous to create an event based on exclusion and separation and frame it as a positive, and as I said, if it was any other group the anger would be palpable.

This is why man babies are upset, not because they really want to go to this movie, but because they see the constant hysteria and over reaction to seemingly minor slights and insults and realise that there a number of double standards that apply ,and god help you if you mention them.

5 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I really don't see how this could be seen as a "message of division" by anyone other than a lunatic. This is a special event, meant to generate publicity. It's novel and creative and should be considered clever marketing. Consider theaters that hold special event screenings of premieres where they might have the director or star of the film at the screening. I'm sure you've heard tell of these event screenings. Typically there's a quick Q&A with the various luminaries either before of after the show. Many of these tickets are going to be made available to studio employees, to friends or business associates of the theater owner or various other community big wigs who have an inside track to these sorts of tickets. Whatever is left at the end is made available to the public. This event is no more exclusionary than that sort of affair. I really don't see how this is even worth arguing about.

24 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

No matter how you look at it, they still banned men from the screening. Their aim might be one thing but they have inadvertently sent out a message of division instead.

They didn't. Some incredibly oblivious men are reading that message into it.

Why should female empowerment exclude men?

Who said it did? Who the heck takes one movie screening and extrapolates it to mean all of female empowerment excludes men?

( again the whole event wasn't really about female empowerment but about creating news headlines, and that is what they got so good on them)

If that was indeed so, the MRA morons could have just kept quiet and stolen their thunder, you'd think? As it was, this didn't become a news story till they made a hue and cry about it. 

It really isn't. You can bring up edge cases, sure, but till there's proof that this keeps happening and causes harm to the subclass of "white-looking African Americans", you've not really shown me that the harm exists. You do know, by the way, that plenty of lighter-skinned African Americans still identify with Black culture, and no one makes any issue of it, aren't you?

Can I ask how many African and Chinese people were members of the Indian society? An event specifically for members of a club for people from India right?

:)

Yes. How discriminatory and exclusive. Call the cops!

Depends on what that group is. If it is the majority continuing to enforce its long-held power, then yes, the anger will be palpable and justifiable. If not, then no, the anger will be limited to clueless morons on the internet, and I guess it'll start a thread in these forums, but it won't be "palpable".

You seem to be one of those man-babies if you actually think those are "double-standards". They are not. If you list some examples, I'm sure we can clear it up...

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I really don't see how this could be seen as a "message of division" by anyone other than a lunatic. This is a special event, meant to generate publicity. It's novel and creative and should be considered clever marketing. Consider theaters that hold special event screenings of premieres where they might have the director or star of the film at the screening. I'm sure you've heard tell of these event screenings. Typically there's a quick Q&A with the various luminaries either before of after the show. Many of these tickets are going to be made available to studio employees, to friends or business associates of the theater owner or various other community big wigs who have an inside track to these sorts of tickets. Whatever is left at the end is made available to the public. This event is no more exclusionary than that sort of affair. I really don't see how this is even worth arguing about.

And if that screening said their tickets were available to employees.. but only white male employees?

Archived