Wonder Woman (spoiler thread) - skip to pg. 14 for actual movie discussion

Corvinus85

Its odd to see 'progressives' rationalizing the kind of gender apartheid many of the worlds religions would be proud of. Maybe they'll go for assigned seating on buses next.

Identity politics is regressive. 

Just now, Squab said:

Its odd to see 'progressives' rationalizing the kind of gender apartheid many of the worlds religions would be proud of. Maybe they'll go for assigned seating on buses next.

Identity politics is regressive. 

Having two showings of a movie on one night in one city being gender-restricted is not gender apartheid. This bizarre notion of slippery slope bullshit is especially jarring. 

Seriously, you get that you have discriminatory practices all around you, all the time, and you're typically cool with it, right? Or are you also objecting to discrimination in locker rooms, bathrooms, changing rooms and the like?

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Interesting.  Segregation and discrimination are now progressive values.  But, only sometimes, apparently, it's all relative.  LOL.

...yes? They always have been. If you're looking for moral absolutism in a group that prides itself on moral relativism, you're going to have a bad time. 

I get that y'all keep trying to make this some bizarre hypocritical viewpoint, and I get how that supposedly gets to the liberal caring of fairness, but really this continues to just make a lot of entitled manbabies sound more entitled. It's shocking how incredibly up in arms some men get when even a small thing becomes inaccessible to them for whatever reason. This seems to be the same thing that makes white men incredibly upset that they can't use the N word. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

...yes? They always have been. If you're looking for moral absolutism in a group that prides itself on moral relativism, you're going to have a bad time. 

I get that y'all keep trying to make this some bizarre hypocritical viewpoint, and I get how that supposedly gets to the liberal caring of fairness, but really this continues to just make a lot of entitled manbabies sound more entitled. It's shocking how incredibly up in arms some men get when even a small thing becomes inaccessible to them for whatever reason. This seems to be the same thing that makes white men incredibly upset that they can't use the N word. 

I absolutely expect moral relativism from progressives, I absolutely expect them to refuse to admit that 'women only' 'black only' 'fill in the blank only' events are exactly the same as the 'white only' 'men only' 'christian only' discrimination in times past.  

Just now, Cas Stark said:

I absolutely expect moral relativism from progressives, I absolutely expect them to refuse to admit that 'women only' 'black only' 'fill in the blank only' events are exactly the same as the 'white only' 'men only' 'christian only' discrimination in times past.  

Depends on the thing, honestly. The olden days were problematic because the 'white only' clubs also happened to be the affluent clubs, and a lot of business ended up getting done there which was exclusionary - but at the same time I think that it's absolutely crucial that there be men only clubs, and that men in US society are totally hosed by having very few acceptable places for just men. 

I'd totally be fine with a men's only showing of, say, Fight Club. I think that would be pretty awesome. It would also be discriminatory, just like these two showings are, and it would be for similar reasons. Now, if you ONLY showed Fight Club to men, and never let women in no matter what, that'd suck. If you ONLY let men see Fight Club 2 first, and didn't let women see it until men got to see it, that'd suck. 

But having a place where only men watched something? While women, if they wanted to, could also watch it? Not a problem at all. I barely comprehend how that would be considered problematic. 

36 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Having two showings of a movie on one night in one city being gender-restricted is not gender apartheid. This bizarre notion of slippery slope bullshit is especially jarring. 

Plenty of seats on the bus elsewhere...

Just now, Squab said:

Plenty of seats on the bus elsewhere...

Seriously, you really believe these things to be morally equivalent? Truly and really? Or is this just attempting to get liberal knickers in a twist because that's how you get off.

I'm genuinely curious whether it's that you're so threatened by the notion of a space that isn't open to you or it's simply that you like attempting to make other people upset. 

Or are you genuinely upset that you can't use the woman's bathroom, too?

Actually in our state lavatories are non-gender specific.  That happened the minute North Carolina started passing stupid law about who can pee where.

Actually this John Snow is just a pathetic troll who thinks he smart and good-looking, and that whereever there are women and he is not they are pining for him.  You know nothing Jon Snow! is his own choice of handle to characterize himself, so -- you know what that's about. :D

47 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They are not.  As you would know if you knew the history of them.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They are not.  As you would know if you knew the history of them.

LOL, what makes you think I don't know the history of said discrimination?  Because I came to a different conclusion about the way forward?  Because my view doesn't sanction simply switching up the groups who were previously powerful/dominant with the marginalized/minority groups and continuing on with discrimination happily with the shoe on the other proverbial foot? 

But, you proved my point.  

1 hour ago, Squab said:

Fixing segregation with more segregation. Great work regressives.

Sorry, how were women and men segregated in 2017 in Austin, Texas?

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL, what makes you think I don't know the history of said discrimination?  Because I came to a different conclusion about the way forward?  Because my view doesn't sanction simply switching up the groups who were previously powerful/dominant with the marginalized/minority groups and continuing on with discrimination happily with the shoe on the other proverbial foot? 

But, you proved my point.  

Well, I think the big difference is that they aren't, ya know, the same. Or really particularly similar.

Actually, strike that - aren't you conservative libertarian types all about simply boycotting businesses that do this sort of thing? This isn't a public event, it's not even a publicly owned company - shouldn't you be all about saying that you won't spend your money there, and if people do spend their money there then you don't want any interference?

I just got back from the theatre. As much hatred and despise I have for the DCEU for screwing up the characters, I have love for this DCEU movie for getting the character right. Wonder Woman is a near perfect movie and is instantly the top of any comic book movie ever released in my book. I can not recommend it any more highly. 

With a dozen or so pages of discussion in this thread prior to opening in the US, I thought that it must have opened a week or two earlier overseas for some strange reason.  Nope, just pages and pages of discussion generated by a women's only screening of the movie...

Really looking forward to seeing it this weekend.  It looks great and hopefully the DC movies that follow can match its success.

20 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Wait a second - you two are men who got to watch it? HOW DARE YOU

Neither me, nor my penis felt hampered in any way, and I watched this movie at the Alamo Drafthouse, the same theatre chain showing the women's only screening.

Archived