Wonder Woman (spoiler thread) - skip to pg. 14 for actual movie discussion

Corvinus85

There's vast differences between individuals, everyone is a collection of male like and female like features, cliched man and woman genders were always a joke. Societal pressures were never necessary for society to exist and flourish, those pressures are whoever is the Oligarchy means of fucking people up, messing society up so they can keep everyone unhappy and divided.  We've moving forward Oligarch will have one last attack on us, when enough money from the systems of revenue it has set up through it's control of government.

Plug 'woman playing cello painting" into google images -- you'll see how many have thought cellos were sexy.

Ever since GOT used cellos as the bass for their thematic scores everybody is using cellos. 

Junkie XL did the soundtrack to Mad Max Fury Road as well, and it has similar riffs. Really cool bit, and one of the only actual cool parts of BvS (which thankfully they decided to emphasize). 

Everything anyone says doesn't have equal worth in discussion, that's the most bizarre use of relativism, scientific relativism has the backing of tested scientific theory, there's different interpretations of the same experiments but it's using tested scientific facts.  Not sure who doesn't place science as one of the highest forms of knowledge?

On 6/2/2017 at 5:39 PM, Zorral said:

Walking home from work this afternoon, went by the Union Square Regal Theater.  Hordes were pouring in to see Wonder Women -- hetero couples, groups of women, groups of guys, mixed groups (for me a group is five or more).  They looked happy.  It is a beautiful day here.

:cheers:

Good luck to ya, WW!

Funny. I was drinking with friends just over, on 3rd, when you were there. A big group of NYU kids were all pre-gaming on their way to a screening. More girls than guys, which was pretty cool for a large group of 21 year olds.

Ill probably wait to see it on blu ray, but it looks fun. I'm just comic'ed out these days, I can only do two or three a year, and I was the only Guardians 1 fan who thought guardians 2 was stupid as hell. Gonna wait til end of summer or longer for more superheroes.

22 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'll add that this is the coolest theme music yet... I still don't know what instrument that is... electric sitar? 

I agree with you on this, I kept wondering what that was. Had a unique sound to it.

As to the movie itself, it was pretty good. As good or better than Guardians 2 for me. I put it well below The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Avengers.

I thought they did a good enough job balancing her back story with what was also her current back story if that makes any sense.

Spoiler

So, if she killed Ares then how does WW2 happen? I mean, it seems like he died, the sunrise scene and the Germans looking as though they were waking up from something? I guess I just don't understand this part of it.

I ended up going on Sunday morning, 10am showing and it was packed. I haven't looked at box office results yet but it must've cleared the 100 mil mark.

6 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I agree with you on this, I kept wondering what that was. Had a unique sound to it.

As to the movie itself, it was pretty good. As good or better than Guardians 2 for me. I put it well below The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Avengers.

I thought they did a good enough job balancing her back story with what was also her current back story if that makes any sense.

Hide contents

So, if she killed Ares then how does WW2 happen? I mean, it seems like he died, the sunrise scene and the Germans looking as though they were waking up from something? I guess I just don't understand this part of it.

I ended up going on Sunday morning, 10am showing and it was packed. I haven't looked at box office results yet but it must've cleared the 100 mil mark.

Ares didn't start WWI either. Humanity does that all an its own. Ares even says so to Diana, he doesn't start wars. I thought the message of the movie, other than maybe the vague "it's love", was quite clear. Humanity is capable of both good and evil without direct intervention from a diety.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Ares didn't start WWI either. Humanity does that all an its own. Ares even says so to Diana, he doesn't start wars. I thought the message of the movie, other than maybe the vague "it's love", was quite clear. Humanity is capable of both good and evil without direct intervention from a diety.

Ok, but he did say that he whispers into their ears, and right at that moment

Spoiler

Dr. Poison has a revelation for a weapon. So who whispers in humans ears for WW2? Or at that point we just know that man can do evil all on his own?

If this is the future of the DCEU we might finally be getting somewhere. This was a really solid entry and a lot of fun. Gal Gadot manages quite a lot with several joyful mannerisms. Not so much a fish out of water but someone just being themselves.

I thought the trench scene was spine-tingling and really hit me on the heroic front - something that was completely lacking from BvS (and several marvel films).

What makes the film fun is that Wonder Woman is not overcome with being morose and sad and enjoys doing what she's doing. Which Batman and Superman currently seem unable to do.

I quite liked the commentary on evil too. Not too highbrow but not as black and white as superhero films often go for.

Chris Pine continues to impress in any film he's in that isn't trek. It's not that he's bad in Trek, it's just he's so much better in other films. Maybe they need to stretch him more in future trek films or maybe he's oddly just channeling Shatner and therefore comes off as if he's doing it in his sleep?

I kind of wish we could restart this spoiler thread without the first 14 pages of bickering... Maybe update the first post with a note saying "actual discussion about the movie starts on page 14" or something.

Anyway.

Spoilers mixed in below.

Saw the movie last night and was really glad how it turned out. Maybe my expectations were lowered after BvS and SS, but I didn't have high hopes for this until RT reviews started coming in. And even then I kind of held my breath and hoped it would be good.

Gadot really owns the role. She was able to balance the fierce warrior with a heartfelt compassion better than most female action heroes. Maybe it's how she smiles with her eyes that sells the compassion.

I also loved how she played the character differently in the present time versus 1918. In the book ends (and BvS) she exudes a worldly confidence. Even though she is an obviously proficient warrior when she leaves the island, she is still a bit naive. She just assumes that all people are better than they are. Given the time of war, it would be easy to think all mankind are deplorable, not that there is a range of good and evil in everyone. Doing a greater evil to remove mankind does not justify the outcome. Reducing it to just "love" is a bit simplistic, but I take that as more the "aha" moment versus being the actual reason.

Another thing that struck me was how helpless Diana felt as the enormity of the task was dawning on her as she progressed from London to the front. She wanted to save every person, but the jaded Trevor just shrugged and said you can't save them all. Gadot played that very well.

I must admit, that the identity of Ares surprised me, though it was perfect. I knew it couldn't be the German general, but I kind of assumed it would be Dr. Poison. I'll have to watch his first scene with Diana closer next time to see the recognition (which I probably mistook for contempt) at her appearance.

I really enjoyed the movie, but surprisingly, my wife immediately said she preferred GotG2 as we were walking out of the theater. I'm not someone who likes to line up Marvel and DC into an automatic dichotomy, but she's right in that GotG was more fun to watch. Even though WW was lighter in tone that the other DC movies, the humor was pretty sparse. Most of the funny moments were in the trailers. Different movie and different tone, but I was just surprised that my wife who was excited for WW in the end preferred GotG.

In the end, (as someone who really liked Man Of Steel and mostly enjoyed BvS), this is easily the best DC movie since Dark Knight. Hopefully JL and Aquaman will continue the trend.

27 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I kind of wish we could restart this spoiler thread without the first 14 pages of bickering... Maybe update the first post with a note saying "actual discussion about the movie starts on page 14" or something.

I am the Ares of this thread. :devil: My apologies, and the thread title has been updated.

28 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Spoilers mixed in below.

I must admit, that the identity of Ares surprised me, though it was perfect. I knew it couldn't be the German general, but I kind of assumed it would be Dr. Poison. I'll have to watch his first scene with Diana closer next time to see the recognition (which I probably mistook for contempt) at her appearance.

I really enjoyed the misdirection with Ares. I'm putting the rest in spoilers just in case. 

Spoiler

There was a big clue delivered when Sir Patrick said something like he would have gone with them but he is too old and injured. So you knew that he was more than met the eye, but at that point because he was being helpful, I assumed that maybe he was Zeus, who turned out he survived, but he was too weak to do anything godlike. And additionally when Dr. Poison gives the German general that gas, she said something about developing the gas to restore his strength, so it was easy to assume that he was Ares, and because of this own wounds he needed the gas to regain his power. For a short while just after Diana's fight with the general, I assumed it might be Dr. Poison, but the back story visuals (and the lore) really would not have allowed for Ares to be a woman. 

And yes, David Thewles did a good job making us think that it was just contempt, and not shock and anger when he first saw Diana.

36 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I really enjoyed the movie, but surprisingly, my wife immediately said she preferred GotG2 as we were walking out of the theater. I'm not someone who likes to line up Marvel and DC into an automatic dichotomy, but she's right in that GotG was more fun to watch. Even though WW was lighter in tone that the other DC movies, the humor was pretty sparse. Most of the funny moments were in the trailers. Different movie and different tone, but I was just surprised that my wife who was excited for WW in the end preferred GotG.

I think I prefer GoTG2, as well, but they're close.

21 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I am the Ares of this thread. :devil: My apologies, and the thread title has been updated.

I really enjoyed the misdirection with Ares. I'm putting the rest in spoilers just in case. 

Hide contents

There was a big clue delivered when Sir Patrick said something like he would have gone with them but he is too old and injured. So you knew that he was more than met the eye, but at that point because he was being helpful, I assumed that maybe he was Zeus, who turned out he survived, but he was too weak to do anything godlike. And additionally when Dr. Poison gives the German general that gas, she said something about developing the gas to restore his strength, so it was easy to assume that he was Ares, and because of this own wounds he needed the gas to regain his power. For a short while just after Diana's fight with the general, I assumed it might be Dr. Poison, but the back story visuals (and the lore) really would not have allowed for Ares to be a woman. 

And yes, David Thewles did a good job making us think that it was just contempt, and not shock and anger when he first saw Diana.

IDK, he stood out to me.

Spoiler

When he was the only voice of reason, wanting peace, quietly speaking, bells started going off in my head. Then when he "forbid" them from doing anything at the German high command it was clear to me it was him. 

the problem was that the actor has a history of playing shifty characters so I was suspicious especially

regarding his initial reaction to Diana

I still think it was well done though.

Archived