Corvinus

Wonder Woman (spoiler thread) - skip to pg. 14 for actual movie discussion

366 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, mormont said:

IIRC she did, yes.

Poor Antiope. What a waste of a great character. It's not like Diana needed the motivation.

Anyway, saw this last night and while it isn't my fave, it does exactly what it needed to do, which is deliver a solid WW film on par with most of Marvel's better films. Gal Gadot is brilliant. Chris Pine is Chris Pine. (I've never seen the point of Chris Pine.) The rest of the cast do decent work: David Thewlis is a good bit of casting, as he has the range to do both sides of his character. Ewen Bremner is underrated so it's nice to see him get a good payday. Robin Wright is effective with the short time she has.

The action sequences were satisfying, the overall narrative is strong, and there were lots of great little moments. I had some niggles: for a Wonder Woman film, some of the female background characters felt a bit underused. I wanted to see more of the Amazons, and more of Etta Candy. They get too little to do. (I get the feeling there was more Etta stuff that ended on the cutting room floor, so maybe that'll make its way into an extended edition.) Ares' identity is too obvious - it can't be Ludendorff (too obvious), so it has to be Sir Patrick. Even a few more lines building up James Cosmo's character and his rivalry with Sir Patrick could have helped provide another possibility.

But these things are 'well-I-would've-done-it-differently' nitpicks, not serious flaws. It's a strong movie. Inspirational. Entertaining. Fun. Well worth the praise.

Question, but does WW fly in this film and has that always been apart of her powers? 

2 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Question, but does WW fly in this film and has that always been apart of her powers? 

She does not.  She jumps real high.

The shot right at the end is a bit ambiguous, I felt she was perhaps meant to be flying there.

IIRC she could not originally fly. It was added to her power set in the '80s.

10 hours ago, mormont said:

IIRC she did, yes.

Poor Antiope. What a waste of a great character. It's not like Diana needed the motivation.

Anyway, saw this last night and while it isn't my fave, it does exactly what it needed to do, which is deliver a solid WW film on par with most of Marvel's better films. Gal Gadot is brilliant. Chris Pine is Chris Pine. (I've never seen the point of Chris Pine.) The rest of the cast do decent work: David Thewlis is a good bit of casting, as he has the range to do both sides of his character. Ewen Bremner is underrated so it's nice to see him get a good payday. Robin Wright is effective with the short time she has.

The action sequences were satisfying, the overall narrative is strong, and there were lots of great little moments. I had some niggles: for a Wonder Woman film, some of the female background characters felt a bit underused. I wanted to see more of the Amazons, and more of Etta Candy. They get too little to do. (I get the feeling there was more Etta stuff that ended on the cutting room floor, so maybe that'll make its way into an extended edition.) Ares' identity is too obvious - it can't be Ludendorff (too obvious), so it has to be Sir Patrick. Even a few more lines building up James Cosmo's character and his rivalry with Sir Patrick could have helped provide another possibility.

But these things are 'well-I-would've-done-it-differently' nitpicks, not serious flaws. It's a strong movie. Inspirational. Entertaining. Fun. Well worth the praise.

I thought Robin Wright stole the whole sequence in Themyscira as was just terrific. She will be back in Justice League probably a flash back , but might be interesting. 

Actually I could do with a whole film about the Amazon 'world' that looked intriguing.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

She does not.  She jumps real high.

She can hover.

I thought the 'flying' sequence at the end was awkward wish would have thought of something more clever.

I think making her able to fly is a better solution to how she gets around the world without having to fly economy class and deal with customs and immigration than the invisible plane cheesiness.