Wonder Woman (spoiler thread) - skip to pg. 14 for actual movie discussion

Corvinus85

21 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Either way I don't actually care about the legality, its more the message and the hypocrisy of a movie pushing a theme of equality and feminism but at the same time making a clearly provocative move to get media attention. It has so many echoes of the Ghostbusters 'controversy', who used the 'white male loser' argument to deflect from the awfulness of their product. I just hope that WW is good and this isn't what is happening.

I'm not sure why you blame the movie or studio. It's a private theater that's doing this. The movie may or may not benefit from this, but I doubt there was some backdoor dealing between the studio and that theater. A theater in Alabama decided not to show Beauty and the Beast because of the gay character(s) in it, but I don't think Disney told them they won't be selling them any more movies in the future because of that.

42 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ghostbusters sucked, and I had no real opinion on the all female aspect of it. Just a tired, uncreative, unfunny, hackneyed remake that I believe did benefit from the controversy.

Your opinion is noted, but it doesn't make it truth. 

40 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

In the Ghostbusters case it turned out that those who had complained about the movie on a purely gender level were an extreme minority, most complained that the movie was simply awful and unfunny. But the narrative turned into being about sexism because that helped the movie to position itself as a victim . I'm sure the media attention to this incident is manufactured on some level as well.

Of course it's the media and not people like yourself who have spent the last 3 pages of this thread asking if this is a discriminatory practice, being upset about it and blaming everyone around them.

The simplest answer is that people got upset about it and it got reported on. 

Note that this theater has done things like having a horror movie shown to a select audience out in the woods, taken there by creepy bus, and showed a Pirates movie on an actual boat. Those things didn't get the media attention, but this did - and it did because people like yourself found it objectionable. 

Re Ghostbusters: Oh come now. The usual squad of faux-concerned venomous men's rights dweebs were after that movie months and months before it came out, and ultimately when it did come out one of the film's stars was driven off twitter by their gross harassment antics. How many of these manchildren there were among the movie's detractors, well, I dunno, got no idea, but the ones who did come out were sure loud and contributed enormously to the hate the movie got. The whole Ghostbusters internet shitstorm was absolutely to do with gender as an integral part of the larger issue of fanboy nostalgia. I'd never have pegged Ghostbusters as a property that would inspire this manner of phallic protectionism, but life is a funny old thing.

And, just to reinforce that there are multiple perspectives on the movie's actual quality even though that doesn't really matter for this discussion, I like it a lot, substantial flaws and all, and consider a bunch of the character comedy very successful especially in the first half of the movie. Ghostbusters was always a long shot for a tentpole-budget level summer reboot and they swung and missed and probably lost money, but we got a solid perfectly acceptable supernatural action comedy that I'll probably watch every few years for a while, and also we got Kate McKinnon as Holtsman, all hail Holtsman.

Now, about, you know, Wonder Woman. Movie comes out Friday in North America and I'm beginning to wonder where reviews are at. Ordinarily when a movie studio holds reviews back like this it's because their movie has shit the bed and they know this and are trying to hide the fact as long as possible. Early micro-reactions for Wonder Woman on twitter etc definitely give me hope that's not the case here, as most of those I've seen are quite strong, so I'm staying cautiously optimistic, but if the movie's legit good I wonder why WB isn't letting critics trumpet this to the skies for them? You'd think they'd be very keen for a situation in which film critics are on their side for once re a DC movie. Or maybe they're haunted by the kicking BVS and Suicide Squad deservedly took and are holding back out of an excess of caution? Or perhaps they don't expect WW to play as well with traditional film journalists? We will know soon enough!

On a purely sentimental note: This morning I googled "Wonder Woman" to check for reviews ... and I got showtimes. For a Wonder Woman movie! Which is coming out this weekend! It's real! This is happening! I am so stoked!

100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 13 reviews posted. It's a small sample size, but a great start for reviews. I hope it's huge at the box office. They were dumb to have a review embargo last so long. They should have been more confident and let reviews be published a week ahead of time to drum up more ticket sales for opening weekend.

Edit: 96% with 23 reviews. I should think it will end up in the mid 80s% range at a minimum.

I'm really glad that this movie have gotten positive reviews and hope it does great at the box office, DC deserves a good one. I just wish that I had a tiny bit of interest in this movie or anything in the DCEU besides Superman, I love female superheroes. 

5 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I'm really glad that this movie have gotten positive reviews and hope it does great at the box office, DC deserves a good one. I just wish that I had a tiny bit of interest in this movie or anything in the DCEU besides Superman, I love female superheroes

Does not compute.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Does not compute.

How so?  I l also ove female superheros but haven't enjoyed anything in the DCEU so am not all that interested in this movie.  Even the DC shows have been a bomb for me and Supergirl was so disappointing that I left midway through the first season in disgust. 

25 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

It's DC and I have no interest in them, not even the female superheroes. 

Riiight. But you are interested in Superman, but not interested in the major DC female superhero. Really, Superman is the OP boring [edit: and over exposed] one, if anything.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

How so?  I l also ove female superheros but haven't enjoyed anything in the DCEU so am not all that interested in this movie.  Even the DC shows have been a bomb for me and Supergirl was so disappointing that I left midway through the first season in disgust. 

Supergirl is like a loveless marriage from which I can't muster the energy to get a divorce. Just going through the motions waiting for it to be ended for me. 

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Riiight. But you are interested in Superman, but not interested in the major DC female superhero. Really, Superman is the OP boring [edit: and over exposed] one, if anything.

I'm only interested in Superman because of nostalgic reasons. My grandfather who raised me was a huge Superman fan and he introduced me to him which was my first superhero. I associate good memories and my grandfather with Superman that's why he's the only DC character I've ever cared about.  

On 5/27/2017 at 3:18 PM, DunderMifflin said:

I think they could have made her look cooler. It looks like they couldn't decide between classic Wonder Woman and full on Xena Warrior Princess and just settled on some sort of mutt breed of the two.

As it turns out "mutts" are often healthier than purebreeds, and that will likely be to this Wonder Woman's benefit. The "Classic Wonder Woman" look, depending on who you ask, has her in either a flimsy cloth skirt or a skin-tight leotard, which are both laughable by today's aesthetic standards or expectations of superheroes. Wonder Woman's look has changed almost drastically throughout the years too. The What Does Wonder Woman Represent link that was posted does a good job of highlighting some of starkest costume change-ups she's had. The influence of Xena works in her favor, especially given that both Wonder Woman and Xena are "warrior princesses." All that said, Wonder Woman's film appearance looks remarkably similar to her current DC Rebirth appearance, which provides a nice mix of classic nostalgia with modern sensibilities. 

The Guardian review suggests that if you plan on watching this solely as a film about feminist then you'll be disappointed. Which I'm sure is a fair point. Would have been nice to have a review in terms of whether it's a decent super hero film. I guess GOTG2 would have been bad if people went in expecting it to be a discussion on the existence of God too.

Although if the films PR invokes feminism as a marketing tool it's only fair some should review it with that in mind.

I'm still curious mainly for the WWI with a superhero in it.

25 minutes ago, red snow said:

The Guardian review suggests that if you plan on watching this solely as a film about feminist then you'll be disappointed. Which I'm sure is a fair point. Would have been nice to have a review in terms of whether it's a decent super hero film. I guess GOTG2 would have been bad if people went in expecting it to be a discussion on the existence of God too.

Although if the films PR invokes feminism as a marketing tool it's only fair some should review it with that in mind.

I'm still curious mainly for the WWI with a superhero in it.

The Guardian review was one of the few negative reviews about the movie I've read so far. Their problem seemed to focus on what the movie 'could have been', which is a fair comment. But at the same time it wouldn't be surprising that the movie played safe in a number of elements. 

A few people have said its basically a female 'Captain America 1' movie. 

3 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

As it turns out "mutts" are often healthier than purebreeds, and that will likely be to this Wonder Woman's benefit. The "Classic Wonder Woman" look, depending on who you ask, has her in either a flimsy cloth skirt or a skin-tight leotard, which are both laughable by today's aesthetic standards or expectations of superheroes. Wonder Woman's look has changed almost drastically throughout the years too. The What Does Wonder Woman Represent link that was posted does a good job of highlighting some of starkest costume change-ups she's had. The influence of Xena works in her favor, especially given that both Wonder Woman and Xena are "warrior princesses." All that said, Wonder Woman's film appearance looks remarkably similar to her current DC Rebirth appearance, which provides a nice mix of classic nostalgia with modern sensibilities. 

Yeh and walmart makes more money than any other store.

They made her nice and safe, taking no chances. A look that fits nice and tidy into the exact expectations of the aesthetics standards of modern blockbuster superheroes. Its a look thats almost perfectly focus grouped to equal the most dollars. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

19 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Yeh and walmart makes more money than any other store.

They made her nice and safe, taking no chances. A look that fits nice and tidy into the exact expectations of the aesthetics standards of modern blockbuster superheroes. Its a look thats almost perfectly focus grouped to equal the most dollars. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

What do you propose she should look like?  Heck if they wanted to go "historical" the Amazons, in Greek Mythology, fought with one breast exposed.

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What do you propose she should look like?  Heck if they wanted to go "historical" the Amazons, in Greek Mythology, fought with one breast exposed.

That would be pretty awesome. In theory at least. 

They would lose tons of guaranteed money by having an adult rating but ya know. Sometimes I don't want to go to Walmart, sometimes I like the store that doesn't make as much money for itself but sells me a better product. 

Archived