Do real friendships happen on this forum?

WestBevHi93

2 hours ago, Dejection said:

This forum looks dead compared to 2015 :( The new layout is bad too. Well not new but compared to the 2015 one it's very ugly.

Still the best place on the internet.  The ugly wards off trolls (except for @Lyanna Stark, she pops up everywhere.  Especially in her own threads.  The Nerve!)  

9 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Still the best place on the internet.  The ugly wards off trolls (except for @Lyanna Stark, she pops up everywhere.  Especially in her own threads.  The Nerve!)  

I just remember it used to be bustling some time ago. Maybe the crappiness of the show turned some people off.

14 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Yes, I am the Worst. :D

But good to hide behind in case of an Attack of Meninists or White socks.

PS. I'll bring the gin, and you the wine. Or was it the other way around?

5 hours ago, Dejection said:

I just remember it used to be bustling some time ago. Maybe the crappiness of the show turned some people off.

This has been the Way since like 2002 tho. The Board was Always Better Before. It literally was the Board that Came Before.

5 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

I thought of you a couple weeks ago when I realized that, after a post-shopping purge of old clothes, I no longer own any white socks. 

On 12/06/2017 at 7:15 PM, Mr. X said:

I thought of you a couple weeks ago when I realized that, after a post-shopping purge of old clothes, I no longer own any white socks. 

This means you have proven love is real on this timeline. Somewhere a handsome train is wearing your old discarded white socks.

On 6/9/2017 at 0:14 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Lol I've been here since I was 18...:o  

Now I'm 23...whaaaat.  

Omg I'm turning 40 this year...I already have anxiety about it :P

On 6/9/2017 at 0:30 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I think I'll feel like a child here until I'm 40 lmao 

I'll let you know if I feel like I'm grown up when I'm 40; probs no, but one can hope.

On 6/9/2017 at 2:05 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Hey, I still feel like a kid and I have two children and will be 50 in 4 years.

Yes, but you age in hobbit years, and 50 is basically a child among your people :)

On 6/12/2017 at 7:22 AM, Lyanna Stark said:

Yes, I am the Worst. :D

PS. I'll bring the gin, and you the wine. Or was it the other way around?

This has been the Way since like 2002 tho. The Board was Always Better Before. It literally was the Board that Came Before.

Indeed.  When I started sniffing around here in 2007, I was treated to legendary stories of THE ORIGINAL BOARD WHEN IT WAS BETTER.  I now know, participated in and appreciate some of those stories (hovercars, champagne, etc.).  NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.

2 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

This means you have proven love is real on this timeline. Somewhere a handsome train is wearing your old discarded white socks.

Of course love is real in this timeline.  The board proves love is real.  I don't need a sock wearing train to tell me that, handsome or no.  KISS THE SKY!

On 6/9/2017 at 0:49 AM, S John said:

IIRC JaimeL is somewhere in the range of 3-5 years older than me and I don't know why this sticks out in my mind, but I remember reading a JaimeL post in which he shared the personal detail that he was 27 (at the time) and thinking something like, 'wow 27, he's like a real adult who has his shit together.' 

I'm gonna be 33 in a couple of weeks.  That 27 yr old JaimeL was once my board touchstone for responsible adult, and that I'm now 6 years past that 27 milestone myself, is a funny testament to how long I've been poking around here.  Probably 12ish years now.  And many of y'all even longer.

Do you remember my teenaged son you met when you came to my house for a party? HE IS NOW 27!

(I remember asking advice about allowing him to go to NYC to see a play, allowing him to stay in a hotel in Baltimore during Octocon(sp?), and then there was the time I outed his bad behavior of breaking in the house when he lost his key, and how he is 27)

1 hour ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Do you remember my teenaged son you met when you came to my house for a party? HE IS NOW 27!

(I remember asking advice about allowing him to go to NYC to see a play, allowing him to stay in a hotel in Baltimore during Octocon(sp?), and then there was the time I outed his bad behavior of breaking in the house when he lost his key, and how he is 27)

Wow that is crazy to think about, your son is several years older now than I was at the time!

On 6/9/2017 at 5:14 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Lol I've been here since I was 18...:o  

Now I'm 23...whaaaat.  

Sweet summer child. I started here at 23....  I'm 38. And I'm but a tiddler compared to some long term boarders that are still about.

i keep being surprised that this thread is still alive...but i guess, not really...

it was my westeros 5th yr anni just the other day...and i can say that as a second wave n00b fl00b i still feel some anxiety when i venture into genchat...where i accidentally started in westeros, thinking it would be where people went who had limited forum experience... :eek:

which reminds me of a Lord O' Bones story i must tell...when i first joined this board, i went into a genchat gun thread... :uhoh: ... thinking i am a grown man (60 at the time) old vet (4 yrs in VietNam, 31 yrs in the Navy) and i have an opinion on this topic...suddenly - there i was, post count 4 or 5, and i jumped in feet first into a very heated discussion...and got thoroughly blasted by several of the regulars...some here in this thread ;) ...and John, aka Bonesy, jumped in and talked shit to people he had known for yrs, he told them that as a vet i had the right to comment and that the slang i used for the weapon under discussion was valid in military circles...i appreciated him for stepping in and helping a brother out...then he pmed me to explain where i had fallen down. i thought that genchat was for n00bs  (yes, really) and he said that it was mostly old timers from the beginning of the board and then pointed me to safer ground - TTTNE...and after we discussed that i had read 3 of the books yrs before, the book threads/forums where i could talk about shit in a like minded atmosphere...lastly, he told me when i was ready he would be "south of the wall" and i should look for him there...and i did. where i found many of the rest of you all here in...thanks to everyone who took a chance to friend this old fart on the board and later on fb...i look forward to meeting those i haven't had the chance to see in the real world...missing out on meeting Bones IRL will be a regret i carry for a while...i don't want to make that mistake with the rest of you...

beware a sniffer on the prowl ;)

On 2017-06-13 at 8:28 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Omg I'm turning 40 this year...I already have anxiety about it :P

40 is the best. It is where the Magic starts and you will Rock it. :)

21 hours ago, Chaldanya said:

Sweet summer child. I started here at 23....  I'm 38. And I'm but a tiddler compared to some long term boarders that are still about.

Ya, 16 years here and counting. Think about all you've learnt though.

• The Magic of the Zorse
  • Spanish midget conquistadors
  • The Evil of White sock wearing
  • The Hilliness of the Ottoman Empire
  • What happens when you snog a marride man
  • What yiff-flaps are used for
  • How discussions on circumcision or abortion never Ends Well.
  • Where to look for hover cars in the mud of Northern France
  • That freedom fries can help spawn a different board
  • Robert Jordan is a sell out
  • At least 500 different interesting ways to get drunk
  • The value of tractoerotica

EDIT: After this one always came up at the Euro/UK BWB meetings, I see this as sort of our theme song. "I'm gonna make myself go blind tonight". (Also remember Paddy and myself doing an excellent drunk rendition of this. Yay.)

On 6/15/2017 at 10:07 AM, Lyanna Stark said:

• The Magic of the Zorse

I still remember when you and @Lummel introduced me to the concept of the biggest empire of the world... 

I just want to add that no one like Westerosi gang can make Eurovision so enjoyable.

On Invalid Date at 4:07 AM, Lyanna Stark said:

40 is the best. It is where the Magic starts and you will Rock it. :)

• The Magic of the Zorse

EDIT: After this one always came up at the Euro/UK BWB meetings, I see this as sort of our theme song. "I'm gonna make myself go blind tonight". (Also remember Paddy and myself doing an excellent drunk rendition of this. Yay.)

PINK STRETCH!

On 2017-06-19 at 10:57 AM, Risto said:

I still remember when you and @Lummel introduced me to the concept of the biggest empire of the world... 

I just want to add that no one like Westerosi gang can make Eurovision so enjoyable.

Ofc. Eurovision is IMPORTANT!

14 minutes ago, Balefont said:

PINK STRETCH!

And the pink mast, ofc ofc. These are musts. :P

I love that if you google "yiff flap" the first hit that comes up used to be a discussion with people whose names I was very familiar with from here. Good job Ranlanders! :P

Archived