Aegon legitimacy question

No not that one

Aegon IV had a son Dearon II, questions about his parentage were rumoured to have been started by his own father that he was infact the product of adultery between his wife and brother.

Deamon Blackfrye (named after the sword) was the warrior himself, Deamons prowess in battle and Dearons shortcomings in that field was seen by many as proof that he was not Aegons legitimate son, but Aemons.

Dearon of course went on to sire two fine warriors in the hammer and the anvil, not that fighting ability is necessarily hereditary (look at Meakers diverse sons for example)

My issue with this proof is that Dearon can't be Aegons issue since he is not marital enough, therefore he can only be the son of the greatest knight of all time Aemon the dragonknight!!!

Thoughts?

Well there was a reason Aegon IV was named the unworthy. I tend to believe that he might have started the rumors. Legitimizing all of his bastards (on his death bed no less) seemed like a giant F you to the entire realm. So accusing his wife of being unfaithful might be something he would do and considering he slept with half the realm it might have even been a ploy to take the attention away from himself. 

Someone once asked this very question. I don't know where the thread is, but it was generally accepted that Daeron was Aegon's son and not Aemon's.

The reason why people agreed on that is because, the rumours only started after Daeron had publicly disapproved of one of Aegon's plans (I eblieve it wasan invasion of Dorne, since Daeron was bethrothed to the Dornish princess, Mariah Martell), and they were seemingly started by Aegon himself, just to spite not just Daeron, but also his siblings Naerys and Aemon.

Another reason why was because of the personalities of Naerys and Aemon; Naerys was said to be incredibly religious in the Faith of the Seven, going so far as to wanting to become a septa. Although she must've been very discontent in her marriage to Aegon, people agreed that her piousness would've prevented her from being with any other man, since the Seven frown upon unfaithfulness and bastardy. Aemon the Dragonknight, although not nearly as pious as Naerys, was a very dutiful Kingsguard who went so far as to die for his king (and brother), who had treated not just him poorly, but also their sister. If he was that dutiful, people agreed that he wouldn't have been sleeping with the queen and gotten her with child.

But a very big reason for why people agreed that Daeron was Aegon's, was how Aegon punished his mistress, Bethany Blackwood, after he found her in bed with one of his own Kingsguard, Terrence Toyne; he had Terrence dismembered piece by piece while he forced Bethany to watch and then he killed her and her father.

If Aegon reacted this violently to his mistress being with a Kingsguard, how would he have reacted to his queen being with a Kingsguard? As stated above, the rumours only started after Daeron had publicly disapproved of one of his plans (they were seemingly started by Aegon himself), but Aegon never formally disowned of disinherited Daeron, even after he had publicly declared Daemon to be his son and given him the sword Blackfyre. It was agreed, judging by his actions to Bethany's unfaithfulness, that if Aegon legitimately suspected that Daeron was not his son, Naerys and Aemon would've gotten hell for it and Daeron would've been disinherited immediantly.

Yes, if martial ability were passed down from father to son, Daemon Blackfyre would be more likely to be Aemon the Dragonknight's child. But that's not the case anyway. Given that both of Daeron II's potential fathers were full siblings, even a DNA test probably couldn't prove anything. Naerys doesn't seem like the type to cheat, even on Aegon, but if she did give in to temptation at some point, it would be far more likely that she did so in the later years of her marriage, after years of unhappiness, which makes the first Daenerys far more likely than Daeron to be Aemon's child.

10 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Well there was a reason Aegon IV was named the unworthy. I tend to believe that he might have started the rumors. Legitimizing all of his bastards (on his death bed no less) seemed like a giant F you to the entire realm. So accusing his wife of being unfaithful might be something he would do and considering he slept with half the realm it might have even been a ploy to take the attention away from himself. 

I believe that Aegon IV was manipulated by someone (my money is on Lucas Lothston for reasons detailed in "House Hoare is Alive" found in my signature) explicitly to bring about a succession crisis. As such, his belief that his sons weren't his own, and the inspiration to legitimize his bastards, may have been an idea planted by this manipulative influence; in other words, he may well have believed it to be true.

Archived