US Politics: Terminal America

Sivin

12 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Damn, I was gonna go with Uncivil War as a title, but I guess Terminal America works. Where's the international Departures desk? I hear Amsterdam is nice this time of year. ;)

Sir, I'm going to need you to give up your seat.

14 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Damn, I was gonna go with Uncivil War as a title, but I guess Terminal America works. Where's the international Departures desk? I hear Amsterdam is nice this time of year. ;)

I'll let you know. Should be there in a few weeks. 

12 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And here we go. This Gonna Be Gud...

When you are actually doing something politically dubious, it is good policy to destroy evidence of dubious behaviour. At least this shows some smart, rational thinking, as opposed to recording conversations which can be used to impeach you later on.

32 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

:P I gotta say, I think I win right? Like, I win the forum now? :P

No.

33 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I would love to have a list of high points to visit.

I see what you did there, you scamp.

Just now, Triskan said:

One Republican in Oregon says they might have militia groups as guards of sorts at their rallies in particular an upcoming one in Portland.  Won't surprise me if that starts happening more places if it gets going somewhere.  

That's more or less been going on for awhile now. Not militias exactly, but both sides have shown up with makeshift garbagecan lid shields and billy clubs and the like to the last few big Berkeley events. Political Rally now means impromptu gangfight apparently.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's more or less been going on for awhile now. Not militias exactly, but both sides have shown up with makeshift garbagecan lid shields and billy clubs and the like to the last few big Berkeley events. Political Rally now means impromptu gangfight apparently.

No, they're talking like the Oathkeepers. Bad shit, having wingnuts toting guns doing "security." This is gonna get worse, not better.

Why they wouldn't trust the cops to do their security, I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, Inigima said:

No, they're talking like the Oathkeepers. Bad shit, having wingnuts toting guns doing "security." This is gonna get worse, not better.

Yeah, I get that. This would be an escalation of what we've seen in Berkeley, replete with firearms and body armor and the like, I'm sure.

From the previous thread:

@denstorebog

I honestly don't know what the historical precedent for rolling back polarization like is, but maybe someone can enlighten me. All I hear is that "we need to educate people", but that doesn't seem like it'll happen on a large scale anytime soon.

There are more educated people than at any time in the history of the country and this is true at all levels of education. Education is valuable in and of itself, but it is not going to solve this problem. In fact, the variant being propagated in certain institutions actually makes it worse by using students as easily persuadable protest fodder. To reduce the polarization, one needs to either increase the size of the pie or reapportion it such that the competition for a reasonable slice is not as fierce.

@The Anti-Targ

They did that, in 2008. 8 years later...Trump. The problem with campaigning on hope and optimism is it leads to disillusionment when they fail to deliver. And the system as it is, is sets up those promises for failure. Are people going to swallow another line of hope and optimism so soon after the last progressive person to promise it largely left people wanting?

Indeed. If a person wholly unacquainted with American politics read these threads, he or she would probably be very confused why Americans don't just vote for Democrats all of the time, but of course the reality is quite different. Democrats are different from Republicans in many ways, but they are similar in that their first loyalty is always to Wall Street and their other big donors. Many of these overlap with those of the Republicans while others are distinct, but this matters little since there is no way to deliver on the hope and optimism without squeezing the whole lot of them.

6 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Because there are plenty of instances where the police and other security effectively stood by and did nothing even when the counter-protest escalated into arson and violence. In the one I remember, they justified it by claiming that they were worried intervention would lead to more serious injuries (this is not implausible, but a cold comfort to the people who were not protected).

Archived