NBA Finals: TRILOGY Edition!!!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

First half thoughts:

The Cavs played about as poorly as humanly possible, and are only down 8. The refs also allowed the Warriors to routinely mug the Cavs with almost no foul calls.

If you are a Warrior's fan, how can you stand Curry's showboating? His stupidity cost the Warriors upwards of 10 points in that half. He's the reason this is still a game with how bad the Cavs played.

If Pop was coaching either of these teams, I think the series would be a sweep in that team's favor. As is, really don't know what to think.

44 minutes ago, sperry said:

If you are a Warrior's fan, how can you stand Curry's showboating? His stupidity cost the Warriors upwards of 10 points in that half. He's the reason this is still a game with how bad the Cavs played.

If you're a Cavs fan how can you stand Bron-Bron fucking over his team as far as transition defense goes? He stands on the opposite end of the court jawing with refs over the foul he didn't get, and the Warriors bury another 3 on a 4 on 5. If I'm Ty Lue, I pull him to the bench the 2nd time he does that. 

Durant with probably his best playoff performance ever (where the fuck was that in game 6 last year Kevin?). Cavs were sloppy with the ball, and the role players were beyond belief bad. Tristan Thompson in particular had no impact, and that's just not gonna work.

Felt like the Cavs were an F tonight and the Warriors were a C.

That was a bit of a tuning up right there. The Cavs had no answers in the 2nd half. Bron-Bron looked really deficient on defense, especially in the paint. Durant dunked on him twice and i counted at least two Curry layups while he was the primary defender. Even Day-Day cashed in an and-1 on him. 

Auspicious start for "The Land". Let's hope they can piece together something resembling a coherent defense quick, cause that did not look promising.

31 minutes ago, sperry said:

Durant with probably his best playoff performance ever (where the fuck was that in game 6 last year Kevin?). Cavs were sloppy with the ball, and the role players were beyond belief bad. Tristan Thompson in particular had no impact, and that's just not gonna work.

Felt like the Cavs were an F tonight and the Warriors were a C.

I can't believe we're watching the same game. That was C for the Cavs and a straight A for the Warriors. The difference is the Warriors were doing it on both ends. The Cavs were spending all their energy on the offensive end.

28 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I can't believe we're watching the same game. That was C for the Cavs and a straight A for the Warriors. The difference is the Warriors were doing it on both ends. The Cavs were spending all their energy on the offensive end.

If that was a A for the Warriors, they are in big trouble. There was a lot that went right for them. The refs let them mug the Cavs players as they drove to the lane. The 12 offensive rebounds or whatever in the first half aren't going to happen again. They only had 4 turnovers, but they had a number of plays that should have been turnovers where they were extremely fortunate to have balls bounce their way. But, that's fine, because they also didn't play particularly well. Durant was an A+, but I don't htink Curry, Green, or Thompson had particularly good games. Overall, they were a C.

The Cavs were an F.  Outrageously sloppy play, looking completely lost on transition plays, consistently missing wide open 3s. If you exclude Dahntay Jone's 6 points in garbage time, the non-big 3 players combined for 17 points, 20 rebounds, and 4 assists in 143 minutes.  Kevin Love almost matched that by himself.  J.R. Smith made a 3 20 seconds into the game and then went scoreless for the next 28 minutes. The team scored 20 points under its season average, and shot the ball 20 less times than the Warriors. Cavs could not possibly have played any worse than they did tonight.

The Warriors would have won that game by 50 tonight if they played well.

That's what J.R. Smith does against good defensive teams. If you're looking for him (or the Cavs bench for that matter) to make this a series, you're going to be waiting awhile. About 4 games, to be exact. The key here for me was Warrior's turnovers. They had 2 before we got to garbage time. That's huge. I think the Cavs had 12-13 in the same span. Also, Bron-Bron looked very average on defense. If he's not giving the Cavs a spark on defense, they have no shot.

Last year, one reason the Cavs were able to prevail in 7, in addition to Lebron's heroics, was that they were able to partially hide their 2 "good offense / mediocre defense" players in Irving and Love.  Irving they hid defensively, ironically sometimes on Curry of all people who was playing on one leg.  Love they hid defensively on a slumping Harrison Barnes - they just sagged and left Barnes open and Barnes was ice cold.

You can't hide Love on Durant.  No explanation needed.  Tonight was more evidence.

And Irving does not match up as well on a healthy Curry.  The Cavs need to have Irving and Love on the court though for great offense and pick-and-roll with Lebron (Irving) and stretch-4 shooting and rebounding (Love).  So what do they do?

1.  It's a seemingly crazy idea, but I wonder if Lue is considering hiding one of Irving or Love defensively on Klay Thompson, sagging and leaving him open as they did with Barnes last year.  I mean normally that would be suicidal, but with the way Thompson is shooting, it would be an incredibly gutsy gamble and would completely change the dynamic of the Warriors' offense if it worked and Thompson's slump continued.

2.  Or of course Lebron, the best player of our generation could just take over and make all of the above talk of scheme secondary.

As a Warrior fan, I think the series is far from over.  The Cavs do need to find some answers, but I expect they will and come out blazing and win a couple.  Series could still go either way, though if I had to guess, I'm going Warriors in 6.

It sort of makes me nauseous to see Durant posing and acting like a tough guy after hitting some shots considering his soft ass had to join the BEST TEAM OF ALL TIME to get a ring. He needs to keep his head down and 

Zero respect for Durant. Sit down little bitch. 

Archived