NBA Finals: TRILOGY Edition!!!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

22 hours ago, Relic said:

Nutbags and all that bullshit masculinity aside,  a 73 win team lost in the Finals and then signed the second best player in the world.  This is an undisputed fact.  

You can dispute Durant is second best.

Anyways, still lay heavy money on the Dubs here, but why does it feel like Dray always looks for excuses to lose? Someone needs to watch The Hustler.  

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Anyways, still lay heavy money on the Dubs here, but why does it feel like Dray always looks for excuses to lose? Someone needs to watch The Hustler.  

He's not a good loser, that's for sure. It seems like this shit always rears it's ugly head when they are getting beat. Also, he can dish it up, but he can't eat it, which is a huge personality flaw in my opinion. If you're going to run your mouth, you'd better be able to laugh at yourself when it gets thrown back at you.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He's not a good loser, that's for sure. It seems like this shit always rears it's ugly head when they are getting beat. Also, he can dish it up, but he can't eat it, which is a huge personality flaw in my opinion. If you're going to run your mouth, you'd better be able to laugh at yourself when it gets thrown back at you.

Despite being a Warrior fan, I have to agree.  Green was my favorite player when he was a rookie.  That changed in 2016.  It's probably Livingston or Iguodala now.  It's almost like it's the corollary to Green's hyper-competitiveness, but I don't think all hyper-competitive people are that way.  Not sure.

Again, great win by the Cavs.  Man they were on fire and the Warriors could not keep up.

In all this exaggeration about the Warriors not being challenged, I think people have forgotten some stuff.  About just how big a challenge it is to beat one of the top players of all time in James (if not the top), supported by a dazzling all-star in Irving, another very good player in Love, and despite how maligned they are, a good supporting cast as well. The Cavs are damn good.

The Warriors taking a 3-0 lead did not mean the Cavs suck and wins weren't impressive, just like the Cavs winning by 20+ in game 4 does not mean the Warriors are an easy foe.  The teams are battling hard.  Give credit to the victors in each case.  Easy to call players names sitting behind a keyboard.

Game 5 will be a battle.

8 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Jeez, what a horribly officiated game. At least the Cavs survive to play another day.

Just 24 or so free throws in the 1st qt - I mean how blantantly obvious it has to be for people to realize, this is rigged. People want to see epic series and not sweep.

2 hours ago, Wethers said:

Despite being a Warrior fan, I have to agree.  Green was my favorite player when he was a rookie.  That changed in 2016.  It's probably Livingston or Iguodala now.  It's almost like it's the corollary to Green's hyper-competitiveness, but I don't think all hyper-competitive people are that way.  Not sure.

I quite like Green and understand why he is the spiritual leader of your team. Pretty good player on top of it.

Again, great win by the Cavs.  Man they were on fire and the Warriors could not keep up.

In all this exaggeration about the Warriors not being challenged, I think people have forgotten some stuff.  About just how big a challenge it is to beat one of the top players of all time in James (if not the top), supported by a dazzling all-star in Irving, another very good player in Love, and despite how maligned they are, a good supporting cast as well. The Cavs are damn good.

Refs played a part in this, like in Oakland at some points. LeBron wanted fouls and not given to him, unlike at Cleveland where everything gdid go for Cavs. Le'bron is not GOAT, let's make it clear - this is certain MJ.

The Warriors taking a 3-0 lead did not mean the Cavs suck and wins weren't impressive, just like the Cavs winning by 20+ in game 4 does not mean the Warriors are an easy foe.  The teams are battling hard.  Give credit to the victors in each case.  Easy to call players names sitting behind a keyboard.

Game 5 will be a battle.

Cavs pretty sucked in the frist two games, especially on defence. Third game was a lot better but fouth game thanks to finally resurrected Tristan Thompson and JR hitting all the 3's. Also Kevin Love actually playing well unlike game 3, where he did made a bunch of offensive rebounds but not enough points like 8 or something. Refs might pushed it again for cavs but Warrior should seal the deal and celebrate the title.

1 hour ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Just 24 or so free throws in the 1st qt - I mean how blantantly obvious it has to be for people to realize, this is rigged. People want to see epic series and not sweep.

Did you actually watch the game or just look at the numbers?  Because the game I watched, the Cavs were attacking damn near every possession and the Warriors were fouling them damn near every possession.  

Also, blaming the refs for helping Cleveland doesn't really hold up when you consider:

1. That ridiculous flagrant on Love.
2. The refs going back and retroactively changing the tech on Green from the first half so they didn't have to eject him.
3. The refs giving Shumpert a tech for getting punched in the groin.
4. The refs not giving Zaza a flagrant for the groin punch.
5. The refs not even reviewing the foul by Green later in the game that, if the Love foul was called a flagrant, absolutely should have been a flagrant as well.

At best, it was just an absolute shitshow by the refs and they called a bad game all around.

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

Did you actually watch the game or just look at the numbers?  Because the game I watched, the Cavs were attacking damn near every possession and the Warriors were fouling them damn near every possession.  

Also, blaming the refs for helping Cleveland doesn't really hold up when you consider:

2. The refs going back and retroactively changing the tech on Green from the first half so they didn't have to eject him.
5. The refs not even reviewing the foul by Green later in the game that, if the Love foul was called a flagrant, absolutely should have been a flagrant as well.

At best, it was just an absolute shitshow by the refs and they called a bad game all around.

I think it's enough to say that the officiating was really bad, full stop. There were shit calls on both sides, but the Cavs had like a 24-9 lead before the zebras broke out the whistles. I think they win this game even if the officiating had been good, and as briantw points out, it wasn't wholly uneven. Both teams benefited from some shitty calls. 

Pretty good Simmons/Joe House podcast posted today breaking down the last two games, as well as looking at possible trades going into the draft. Check it out if you like that sort of thing...

20 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Another thing that's somewhat forgotten is in the San Antonio series how much changed when GS completed the comeback in game 1 and then Leonard got seriously hurt in game 2, and that's not even to mention Parker also getting hurt.  To be clear, I still think GS wins that series even against a full strength Spurs, but I think without those injuries there's a very good chance it's a much more competitive series that brings GS into the finals looking less invincible.  

To further that point, the Warriors didn't begin that comeback until Kawhi got hurt. They couldn't chip away at that lead while he was on the floor.

43 minutes ago, briantw said:

They did this to LeBron in Oakland and no fouls given for it, in Cleveland all of sudden we have this. Vice versa, this thing is rigged and it's not even funny. They need to make this finale count and who wants to see sweep or someone in 5. They need to make it entertaining. 

I am not on anybody's side in this, but my level of tust in NBA and refs is really non-existent.

The one instance I would point to as being ridiculous was LeBron running his mouth and scowling at Durant for asking for a review. It wasn't much of a foul, I agree, but this guy calling someone else out for milking the refs is absolutely ludicrous. Physician, heal thyself. 

I wish those two had been mic'ed. I would pay good money to hear that conversation. 

23 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Another thing that's somewhat forgotten is in the San Antonio series how much changed when GS completed the comeback in game 1 and then Leonard got seriously hurt in game 2, and that's not even to mention Parker also getting hurt.  To be clear, I still think GS wins that series even against a full strength Spurs, but I think without those injuries there's a very good chance it's a much more competitive series that brings GS into the finals looking less invincible.  

Leonard got hurt in game one.  He didn't play the rest of the series.  San Antonio was destroying Golden State until he got hurt, at which point Golden State made their comeback.  

That was an impressive performance by the Cavs. If they hadn't had that epic choke job in game 3, we would be looking at a very interesting series.

While I lost my bet, I am pleased that my initial take on the series appears to be correct. Golden State is the better team, but Cleveland could win if things went their way.

Pleased that the Cavs had such a convincing win in game 4 but losing game 3 means that Golden State now goes home and wins the title there IMO.

I really enjoyed watching LeBron, Iriving and Durant at work these last two games. Incredible performances from these guys.

Curry's been fine, same for Thompson. Green is still a dirtbag and you want him ejected all the time.

Pachulia looks like a gang leader from a really scummy Eastern European group of car thieves.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:09 PM, briantw said:

Yeah no. Sure you can point to situations where the Cavs got a bad break, but overall the refs were overwhelmingly pro Cavs and it wasn't even close. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Kind of nervous about tonight. I don't think I should be, but I feel like the Warrior's really have to end this here. 

I'd be nervous. The Cavs looked really good the last two games, and if the refs keep calling all these early fouls, the Dubs will be in trouble. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd be nervous. The Cavs looked really good the last two games, and if the refs keep calling all these early fouls, the Dubs will be in trouble. 

Well, they should be the beneficiary of the home cooking tonight, and this does look like a better officiating crew than Friday nights. I guess we'll have to see.

I wouldn't be too worried as a Warriors fan.  Durant and Curry went 4 of 18 from 3 in game 4, while the Cavs shot 24 of 45.  I wouldn't expect anything like that happening again. 

And I wouldn't assume that foul trouble will benefit the Cavs.  Good chance some of the holds that could slide in Cleveland are getting called (looking at you here Jefferson). 

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well, they should be the beneficiary of the home cooking tonight, and this does look like a better officiating crew than Friday nights. I guess we'll have to see.

That sure didn't happen last year. 

Archived