NBA Finals: TRILOGY Edition!!!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Just now, Relic said:

Lebron still has another 5 years left in his NBA career. 

Probably, but you never know.  He could fall off at some point over the next five years and decide to hang it up.  Better to retire early than to hang around a few years too long like Kobe did.

Of course, LeBron is a far better all-around player than Kobe, so he could conceivably still have a positive impact on games even after he's not capable of doing the things he's doing now.  Still, it's hard to predict just how long guys will last.  Then again, as JR Smith recently said (paraphrasing here), LeBron's a Gatorade baby.  They grew him in a lab somewhere.  :laugh:

I think the Cavs would actually give Love up for George, if the trade mechanics of that could be made to work.

He's one of the very few players they'd want more. Because all in all he's been pretty good for them in the playoffs as well. The fact that Golden State has been as great as everyone feared they would be with Durant doesn't mean he disappointed.

I don't get the whole George to the Lakers thing, in that I don't think he goes there if the aim is to win titles. Is that core even that promising? 

All in all I'd much rather have seen OKC in these finals, seeing Westbrook and Durant vs LeBron and the Cavs would be my dream finals in the NBA. Golden State? Just too much. And indeed, the Cavs bench just isn't on their level. If you can have Livingstone and Iguadala come from the bench, well, as a Cavalier you have to wonder where does it end.

13 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I don't get the whole George to the Lakers thing, in that I don't think he goes there if the aim is to win titles. Is that core even that promising? 

Well, George is from California, and everyone from California wants to play for the Lakers.  Just look at Kevin Love.  He got traded to Cleveland in a contract year and then he left them to go play for a rebuilding Lakers te-

Oh...right. 

I get your point, though.  George going to the Lakers pretty much just ensures he'll be getting popped from the playoffs by Golden State for the foreseeable future.  Makes a lot more sense to try to force a trade to the Cavs and actually get a shot to win rings.  Sure, it's a bitch move to go to the team that beat you, but Durant just did it, so whatever.  Although I guess it's a bit different since George was never up 3-1 on the Cavs.

From today's Zach Lowe article:

They also know the Warriors may not be able to afford their team as the four stars sign mammoth new deals, potentially starting with Durant and Curry this summer. Depending on what happens with Iguodala, Shaun Livingston, and Zaza Pachulia -- also free agents in July -- the Warriors could vault $20 million over the tax next season, and $30 million over in 2018-19.

So, what are the chances of this team staying together, has anyone given thought on that already?

Curry's going to go on a much bigger deal. He's on 12 million a year and will go to max. What about Durant, currently on 27 million a year? Green will make 16 million, Thompson 18 million. Iguadala, Livingstone, Pachulia, West, McGee, all UFA this summer.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Don't get me wrong...I'd trade Love for George.  George is a better player.  However, if George told Indiana that he wasn't going to re-sign, and that he'd only accept a trade to Cleveland, they'd probably get it done for Thompson and some other stuff.  Unlikely to happen, but if stars want to force the issue and they're on their last year, they usually can.  

Regardless, trading for George would probably be in the best long term interests of the Cavs.  He'd provide a great centerpiece once LeBron retires, and he and Irving could pretty conceivably own the East even without LeBron, especially if they could add another star in free agency (which is actually possible for a small market these days).  Definitely helps that the Cavs have an owner who gives no fucks about the luxury tax.

Well, Indiana might take some decent option for George rather than losing him for free. The thing is that he wants to go to LA Lakers but while that admirable, but a bit illogical given he never won a ring. Trading Love for him might allow Cavs to add another piece to the bench. Bench of Warrior outscored and outplayed Cavs bench. I would go for Iguadala it I'd be Cavs. Trading Love and Thompson to make a room for George and Iguadala. Cavs are good offensively and George would improve it but they need to make their defence better and Iguadala would be a good signing.

1 minute ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Well, Indiana might take some decent option for George rather than losing him for free. The thing is that he wants to go to LA Lakers but while that admirable, but a bit illogical given he never won a ring. Trading Love for him might allow Cavs to add another piece to the bench. Bench of Warrior outscored and outplayed Cavs bench. I would go for Iguadala it I'd be Cavs. Trading Love and Thompson to make a room for George and Iguadala. Cavs are good offensively and George would improve it but they need to make their defence better and Iguadala would be a good signing.

Supposedly, George told some Cleveland players that the Cavs should trade for him, and even mentioned some potential names to trade.  This happened either during or after the Cavs/Pacers series.  So I'm not sure George to the Lakers is a lock.  I think he's more interested in competing after leaving Indy than he is with going to LA.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Supposedly, George told some Cleveland players that the Cavs should trade for him, and even mentioned some potential names to trade.  This happened either during or after the Cavs/Pacers series.  So I'm not sure George to the Lakers is a lock.  I think he's more interested in competing after leaving Indy than he is with going to LA.

LeBron would want him, depends on Griffin to make the deal. If George aid this, then Cavs should make the deal for but not for Kyrie, Love or Thompson obviously. I think Lakers won't be back in 3 or 4, they'll need to sit aside during this Warriors/Cavs era. Lonzo or whoever will be drafted and build for the future. George is a singing for now to compete and they won't. It would make sense for him to go to Cavs,

1 minute ago, Lord Friendzone said:

LeBron would want him, depends on Griffin to make the deal. If George aid this, then Cavs should make the deal for but not for Kyrie, Love or Thompson obviously. I think Lakers won't be back in 3 or 4, they'll need to sit aside during this Warriors/Cavs era. Lonzo or whoever will be drafted and build for the future. George is a singing for now to compete and they won't. It would make sense for him to go to Cavs,

I mean, I'd trade Love for George if it came to that.  And I'd drive Thompson to the airport myself (given that I live in Charlotte, that's a bit of a drive).  I like Thompson.  He's a hard worker and a fucking iron man.  But he's a role-player, and you trade a role-player for a star every time. 

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, I'd trade Love for George if it came to that.  And I'd drive Thompson to the airport myself (given that I live in Charlotte, that's a bit of a drive).  I like Thompson.  He's a hard worker and a fucking iron man.  But he's a role-player, and you trade a role-player for a star every time.

True that. Cavs also need a bench but Thompson also has a new bigger contract. Might be worth putting him out there. What about Butler if not George?

Can we start with the obvious, which is that there is no chance in hell that the Pacers would trade George for Love?

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

Kevin Love.  2 points.

Bet Wiggins would have more...

;)

Yeah, the Cavs really couldn't have used the best young scorer in the game. Why would they want that when they could have a guy who is the most overrated All-Star in the last 10 years......

8 hours ago, briantw said:

Eh...he formed a team with two other All-Stars to take on another Eastern team with three All-Stars.  Bit different than joining the 73-win team that beat you and had already won a title without you.

It really isn't though, especially since LeBron has done it twice.....

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, the Cavs really couldn't have used the best young scorer in the game. Why would they want that when they could have a guy who is the most overrated All-Star in the last 10 years......

This again? I figured a ring would put the long-term vs. short-term debate to rest re: this trade. Anyway, here's a little fact for you - Andrew Wiggins’ field goal percentage and pts/shot statistics are both lower than league average.

15 minutes ago, Relic said:

This again? I figured a ring would put the long-term vs. short-term debate to rest re: this trade. Anyway, here's a little fact for you - Andrew Wiggins’ field goal percentage and pts/shot statistics are both lower than league average.

And? Do you watch Wolves games? Because when there's 5 seconds left on the clock they throw him the ball and ask him to work miracles. 

ETA:

Love was brought to the Cavs to shoot threes, score in general and rebound. Wiggins is a better scorer, as good a three point shooter and TT can do the rebounding. It's bad roster construction. 

20 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, how about that? It has truly been the season of supervillainy, I guess the Yanks are a lock.

Congratulations, by the way. I'm torn between wanting to deride your team as front-running spoiled brats who needed Zaza's dirty-ass play to pave their way to victory, and wanting to fist-bump another deliriously fortunate fan of a reviled team. 

I can, however, say that this is 100% good:

http://www.theroot.com/nba-champion-golden-state-warriors-wont-visit-the-white-1796053158

55 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Congratulations, by the way. I'm torn between wanting to deride your team as front-running spoiled brats who needed Zaza's dirty-ass play to pave their way to victory, and wanting to fist-bump another deliriously fortunate fan of a reviled team. 

I can, however, say that this is 100% good:

http://www.theroot.com/nba-champion-golden-state-warriors-wont-visit-the-white-1796053158

Yeah, Zaza's little incident there did cast a pall of the WCF for sure. That said, I think they would've taken San Antonio down anyway, but I guess we'll never know for sure. Glad to see the team is snubbing Trumpy the Clown. That would've been unbearable.

Back to how the Cavs reload for next season, I think if they can package Love and whatever for Paul George, then go after Iggy to bolster their bench, they just might have a crack at the Warriors. Strengthen the starting 5 and the bench while weakening the Warriors bench. Seems like a solid tact. 

Good series Cavs fans.  Well obviously as a Warrior fan I think so anyway.  Was 4-1 but hard-fought.  Lebron is one of the best ever and since last year I have newfound respect for Kyrie, who I think was playing gimpy in the 4th quarter of game 5 yesterday.  Cavs never quit.

As for the WH visit, Not sure the insecure bully even invites them since they might not kiss his ass.  I think they should visit the "virtual" White House on SNL instead with Alec Baldwin and company.  That I would watch.

Archived