NBA Finals: TRILOGY Edition!!!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Even the word "superteam" is fucking dumb. It sounds like something that Sports Illustrated for Kids would come up with. Never before has a player left a team that was a legitimate contender , to join a team that was historically great and had just beaten them in a heated 7 game series to win the championship. That's why it's bad for Durant.

It's bad for the league and bad for the fan because it has disrupted the competitive balance. The salary cap is designed specifically so this can't happen.

It's called Free Agency for a reason.

The only way it was bad for Durant was that OKC would've given him that super contract option, which would've paid him considerably more money over the next couple of years. I think it's a fair assumption that KD was tired of playing that iso style of ball, and kind of tired of playing with Westbrook. Obviously the ring was a draw as well.

If the cap was meant to prevent this, then they never should've agreed to expand it in the manner in which they did. I agree that it hurt competitive balance this season, but every team is playing with the same cap space. 

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's called Free Agency for a reason.

The only way it was bad for Durant was that OKC would've given him that super contract option, which would've paid him considerably more money over the next couple of years. I think it's a fair assumption that KD was tired of playing that iso style of ball, and kind of tired of playing with Westbrook. Obviously the ring was a draw as well.

If the cap was meant to prevent this, then they never should've agreed to expand it in the manner in which they did. I agree that it hurt competitive balance this season, but every team is playing with the same cap space. 

The cap was meant to prevent this, and they didn't want to do it. They really wanted cap smoothing, but the union played hardball.

19 hours ago, Jaime L said:

4) The Cavs trading Kevin Love for Paul George is a no-brainer to me. All that matters, if you're the Cavs, is how you match up with the Warriors and Paul George is the absolute perfect counter move to KD. Cavs need more Lebrons out on the court and Paul George is the closest thing available to that. It makes them significantly better on the perimeter and resolves the "do we play Love or Thompson in crunch time" dilemma in one fell swoop. Makes sense for Indiana too as they exchange a superstar who will definitely leave for one who still has 3 years left on his contract.

I agree it's a no brainer, and I like Kevin Love a lot. It's also true that presents Indiana with a scenario where they are at least getting a star. Assuming George actually wants to leave, which seems obvious if he's interested in contending. If the Pacers can get Love, Love will be disappointed because that is precisely what he did not want, but he has a good few more years left on that shiny new deal. George just brings more versatility and looking at a list of available players, it's hard to see anyone you'd rather have on that Cavs team outside of George.

Hopefully it happens, it would be cool to see all of that together.

As for Paul to the Spurs, as much as the Spurs need a new point guard, and they do, I'm afraid the Clippers will load up for another hopeless effort and waste talent and potential in the process.

9 hours ago, sperry said:

The cap was meant to prevent this, and they didn't want to do it. They really wanted cap smoothing, but the union played hardball.

When the president of the players' union (Chris Paul) is set to be one of the first to be able to draw a $200 million contract based on the big cap jump...

18 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So it's confirmed. Jerry West headed to the Clips for their big retooling. Should help to make the West more interesting over the next couple of years.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nba-legend-jerry-west-leaves-warriors-to-take-adviser-role-with-clippers/

Does this mean no Chris Paul to San Antonio?

Just heard two funny stats:

1. The worst team LeBron faced in the finals had a better playoff net efficiency than the best team Jordan played in the finals. 

2. (this is an estimate) Jordan faced 9 Hall of Famers in the finals. LeBron faced 26 and counting. 

23 hours ago, Jaime L said:

5) Would love to see Chris Paul go to the Spurs to build a counterweight in the West to the Warriors. Though if that falls through, hope it's because he's got designs on his own superteam with Lebron. What I fear is that's not the case and he just re-signs with the Clips because they can offer the most money by far and that's his top priority. It doesn't have to be next year (next year is tough) but I need a rival superteam to the Warriors in whatever form. There's two things we want as sports fans 1) greatness but even more than that 2) we need to see greatness challenged. I was never bored by the Warriors this season - was fascinating to watch such complimentary greatness. But now the novelty is over. I'll be bored if they have another playoff run like this one.

It is hard to say if the Warriors are going to be better or worse in the future.  As long as the big 4 is together they'll be favorites, but I think that the depth of talent around those guys is going to disappear pretty quick in the name of salary cap savings.  How would this series be different if Livingston, Iguodala and Pachulia were replaced with replacement level guys?  The Warriors still probably win, but it is going to look a LOT closer.  This year, the Warriors have the following free agents:

Durant (he'll opt out), Curry, Livingston, Iguodala, West, McGee, Pachulia, Ian Clark.  In fact, the ONLY guys on the GSW roster that are signed for next year that made any contribution in the finals are Thompson, Green and McCaw.  Once Durant and Curry sign for max deals, there is going to be scant little available for anyone else.  Now, those four guys are so great, they'll make replacement level guys like Clark, McGee and West look very good.  That will probably happen again. But Livingston, Iguodala and Pachulia are more than just random bums, they would start on many NBA teams.  I think that the years of the Warriors having one of the deepest teams in the league are over.  They can probably hold onto Iguodala, and maybe sign a few veterans looking for a ring, but on the whole I expect a lot less talent on the back end of the roster.

The question is, does it matter?  The Big 4 are all just entering their prime.  There's reason to think their chemistry could further improve, and they are only getting more battle tested.  They will be a very, very tough out, even for a rival superteam.  But there is nonetheless the possibility that this is the best GSW team we'll ever see. 

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

It is hard to say if the Warriors are going to be better or worse in the future.  As long as the big 4 is together they'll be favorites, but I think that the depth of talent around those guys is going to disappear pretty quick in the name of salary cap savings.  How would this series be different if Livingston, Iguodala and Pachulia were replaced with replacement level guys?  The Warriors still probably win, but it is going to look a LOT closer.  This year, the Warriors have the following free agents:

Durant (he'll opt out), Curry, Livingston, Iguodala, West, McGee, Pachulia, Ian Clark.  In fact, the ONLY guys on the GSW roster that are signed for next year that made any contribution in the finals are Thompson, Green and McCaw.  Once Durant and Curry sign for max deals, there is going to be scant little available for anyone else.  Now, those four guys are so great, they'll make replacement level guys like Clark, McGee and West look very good.  That will probably happen again. But Livingston, Iguodala and Pachulia are more than just random bums, they would start on many NBA teams.  I think that the years of the Warriors having one of the deepest teams in the league are over.  They can probably hold onto Iguodala, and maybe sign a few veterans looking for a ring, but on the whole I expect a lot less talent on the back end of the roster.

The question is, does it matter?  The Big 4 are all just entering their prime.  There's reason to think their chemistry could further improve, and they are only getting more battle tested.  They will be a very, very tough out, even for a rival superteam.  But there is nonetheless the possibility that this is the best GSW team we'll ever see. 

I don't see how they keep Iggy, unless he's deadset on staying a Warrior at a discount. If I'm an opposing GM, I'm snatching that piece off their bench posthaste.

I think it does matter, especially when you're talking about another superteam who's trying to catch up. If you take Iggy off the Warrior's bench and put him on the Cavs, I think things get a lot tighter.

Iguodala is signing for vet minimum. Zero chance he doesn't. He's made $150 million in his career,  and is in a great situation. Is he really going somewhere else? Livingston is probably gone, but they've got McCaw to replace him. Zaza is hot fucking garbage. The only positive contribution he made (and it was a huge one) was goon squadding Kawhi.

In two years, I think they lose Thompson, but he's the least important piece of the big 4. They'll be able to find a poor man's version of him.

Just now, sperry said:

Iguodala is signing for vet minimum. Zero chance he doesn't. He's made $150 million in his career,  and is in a great situation. Is he really going somewhere else? Livingston is probably gone, but they've got McCaw to replace him. Zaza is hot fucking garbage. The only positive contribution he made (and it was a huge one) was goon squadding Kawhi.

In two years, I think they lose Thompson, but he's the least important piece of the big 4. They'll be able to find a poor man's version of him.

It's likely his last contract and he's a hot commodity. I know he loves being on this team, but I can't imagine he loves it that much. I hope you're right, but I find it hard to believe.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's likely his last contract and he's a hot commodity. I know he loves being on this team, but I can't imagine he loves it that much. I hope you're right, but I find it hard to believe.

He's not broke. He's made $150 million. Zero chance he doesn't resign. And it's not his last contract anyway. Look at Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter. Iguodala is cut from the same cloth, he can stick around forever if he wants.

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I do think the Warriors are in their 2 year honeymoon period where they don't make any hard decisions, get to both keep their 4 superstars and also have fantastic depth. Can't recall a team that's blended this much player development skill with this much luck. They might lose a couple key reserves from this 3 year run but I suspect they'll be fine with McCaw, Clark and McAdoo, all guys they've been supposedly grooming Danny Green/Patty Mills style. If last year wasn't the best Warriors team, this year will be. Hell they barely had to tap into their most unstoppable weapon - the Curry/Durant pick and roll. Hope I'm wrong but not sure how much drama there'll be in the 2017-2018 season. I'd take the Warriors over the field.

2019 maybe will force Durant/Curry to be Lebron or Kobe/Shaq great and carry a flawed team to a title. Things get more interesting then. But Lebron will be 34 and I don't know where he'll be and I don't know who emerges as their biggest threat. Just hope guys are thinking about it now. 

6 hours ago, Triskan said:

We're one Dray Green suspension last year's finals away from contemplating if the Warriors are set up for a five-peat.

That's the best thing that ever happened to them. No Dray suspension = title = a Thunder team just as good as them going head to head every year.

Another thing that cracked me up was that these close games ended the same way: KD iso. Only difference is he nailed the shots this time, as opposed to choking his guts up against the Warriors last year. Had he not choked, this team never would have happened either.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

Another thing that cracked me up was that these close games ended the same way: KD iso. Only difference is he nailed the shots this time, as opposed to choking his guts up against the Warriors last year. Had he not choked, this team never would have happened either.

Of course the difference was every single 4th quarter shot KD took in that GS-OKC series had 2-3 guys all over him while Roberson sat alone in the corner. Now on GS, he got all the 1 on 1 looks in the 4th quarter to his heart content.

15 hours ago, Triskan said:

We're one Dray Green suspension last year's finals away from contemplating if the Warriors are set up for a five-peat.

Also, LeBron is two jump shots away from being 1-7 in the finals.  

Archived