Tywin et al.

NBA Finals: TRILOGY Edition!!!

405 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's not always true. The Warriors maintained near sell-out attendance over almost a decade wherein they never made the playoffs. Anyway, how do they maintain a decent profit margin while pursuing this tanking strategy? Seems like that would catch up with you over the length of time that they've been doing this. 

Because NBA franchises are insanely profitable and that's not predicated on attendance?  Haven't paid a dollar of luxury over this period.  Even if they were only 2/3 full, so had 6,000 empty seats per game, at $100 per ticket (which is almost assuredly a way too high number) that's only $24 million per year, plus a couple million more in concessions.

32 minutes ago, sperry said:

Because NBA franchises are insanely profitable and that's not predicated on attendance?  Haven't paid a dollar of luxury over this period.  Even if they were only 2/3 full, so had 6,000 empty seats per game, at $100 per ticket (which is almost assuredly a way too high number) that's only $24 million per year, plus a couple million more in concessions.

I guess it's similar to MLB in that having big ticket teams come to town is enough to bolster a small market team that has lousy attendance? I don't know. 

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I guess it's similar to MLB in that having big ticket teams come to town is enough to bolster a small market team that has lousy attendance? I don't know. 

TV and media deals.  Revenue sharing is what makes even the shittiest franchise profitable right now. 

Edited by Relic

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

TV and media deals.  Revenue sharing is what makes even the shorties franchise profitable right now. 

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I wasn't sure whether or not the NBA had revenue sharing in place or not.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I wasn't sure whether or not the NBA had revenue sharing in place or not.

Yeah, you have to have revenue sharing to do a salary cap.