NBA Finals: TRILOGY Edition!!!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

True, but they say revenge is a dish best served after sweeping your opponent in their house. I'm pre-heating the oven as we speak.

Is it really revenge, though, when the Warriors were so shook after last year that they had to call Kevin Durant to win them a championship because their 73-win team couldn't beat LeBron without him?

It'd be revenge if they had come back and beaten him with the same team.  

Just now, briantw said:

Is it really revenge, though, when the Warriors were so shook after last year that they had to call Kevin Durant to win them a championship because their 73-win team couldn't beat LeBron without him?

Being down 0-3 after a soul-crushing, heart rending loss in your own crib is an interesting time to start talking shit.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Being down 0-3 after a soul-crushing, heart rending loss in your own crib is an interesting time to start talking shit.

Eh...I don't really care that much if the Cavs lose this series.  We got our win last year.  Given that it was the first title I've seen in Cleveland in my lifetime, I'm not going to get greedy.  It would have been nice to win this year too, or to have had a healthy team in 2015 (because I'm pretty sure if Irving had been healthy the Cavs would have won that one), but I'm not going to get broken up about not winning two titles when I wasn't sure I'd ever see one.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I assume the lesson was that, when your 73 win team gets embarrassed in the Finals, you cry and run to your car to call the second-best player in the NBA and cross your fingers and pray he's a big enough bitch to join the team that just eliminated him?  :laugh:

James left a 61 win team after failing in the playoffs to team up with another top 5 player and a top 10 player. It really isn't all that different. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

By all accounts they were gunning for KD, win or lose. They weren't going to make the mistake that the Cavs did, which be complacent after winning at title. You always have to keep improving. 

56 minutes ago, briantw said:

Eh...I don't really care that much if the Cavs lose this series.  We got our win last year.  Given that it was the first title I've seen in Cleveland in my lifetime, I'm not going to get greedy.  It would have been nice to win this year too, or to have had a healthy team in 2015 (because I'm pretty sure if Irving had been healthy the Cavs would have won that one), but I'm not going to get broken up about not winning two titles when I wasn't sure I'd ever see one.

Mmmkay...

Heard%20you%20were%20talking%20smack_zps

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

James left a 61 win team after failing in the playoffs to team up with another top 5 player and a top 10 player. It really isn't all that different. 

I'd say there are three key differences:

1. The Cavs were not up 3-1 on the Celtics at any point and didn't blow three straight close-out games against them like Durant did with Golden State.

2. LeBron didn't have an MVP caliber teammate next to him.  LeBron's best teammate was Mo Williams, who kind of sucked.  Durant had Russell Westbrook, who is one of the five to ten best players in the entire league.

3. LeBron didn't join the team that eliminated him from the playoffs.

---

The main thing LeBron did wrong was The Decision, which was stupid and arrogant.

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'd say there are three key differences:

1. The Cavs were not up 3-1 on the Celtics at any point and didn't blow three straight close-out games against them like Durant did with Golden State.

2. LeBron didn't have an MVP caliber teammate next to him.  LeBron's best teammate was Mo Williams, who kind of sucked.  Durant had Russell Westbrook, who is one of the five to ten best players in the entire league.

3. LeBron didn't join the team that eliminated him from the playoffs.

---

The main thing LeBron did wrong was The Decision, which was stupid and arrogant.

Those are all valid caveats, but the point still stands that both LeBron and KD realized that it wasn't going to happen in their current situations and went to teams that dramatically increased their likelihood of winning a title. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Damn the torpedoes and PASS THE HATERADE!

I mean, you can call it whatever you want. Whatever helps you enjoy this title more, I guess. Congrats, and have a pint on me tonight. 

Personally, I thought these playoffs have sucked all around, ending with the least interesting Finals I can recall. I don't like this new NBA, and I doubt I'm alone. 

11 minutes ago, Relic said:

I mean, you can call it whatever you want. Whatever helps you enjoy this title more, I guess. Congrats, and have a pint on me tonight. 

Personally, I thought these playoffs have sucked all around, ending with the least interesting Finals I can recall. I don't like this new NBA, and I doubt I'm alone. 

Yeah, I agree with your overarching point that this makes for a less than interesting product. Outside of that last game, this has not been compelling.

I would enjoy a nice pint of Haterade tonight, but Paul George stole mine!

And just to give myself some extra cover, if you look at the record here, I was against this move. I feel like the most amazing thing about this Warrior's run up to this season was that this team was built internally, without any real big free agent moves. Iguodala was really the only core guy that they acquired in fee agency. This was not some prefab Dream Team the way The Miami Heat was, or the way the last Celtics championship team was. 

And there is a sour grapes aspect to this in that any team in the league could have potentially signed this guy. This is a bit like the Randy Moss going to the Patriots deal. That the Warriors were the most attractive landing spot can hardly be blamed on them. They put themselves in that position and then reaped the benefits. That trickle down has even been felt on the bench, with guys like David West and JaVale McGee and the like. To the victor go the spoils and whatnot.

14 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And there is a sour grapes aspect to this in that any team in the league could have potentially signed this guy. This is a bit like the Randy Moss going to the Patriots deal. That the Warriors were the most attractive landing spot can hardly be blamed on them. They put themselves in that position and then reaped the benefits. That trickle down has even been felt on the bench, with guys like David West and JaVale McGee and the like. To the victor go the spoils and whatnot.

I wouldn't say they put themselves into the position.  Really, they lucked into it.  Curry's ankle issues leading to him signing a cheap deal before taking the leap and becoming one of the best offensive players in the game and the massive salary cap jump that the players union stupidly would not agree to smooth out enabled the Warriors to luck into having the space to sign Durant.

And I don't blame them for signing Durant.  I just blame Durant for being a big enough bitch to join the team that beat him.  That, to me, is hard to fathom. 

On the plus side, I think we can expect a shakeup relatively soon. LeBron has to be coming towards the end of his run, right? And let's face it, we've had 3 seasons now of absolutely zero question as to who was going to make it through from the East. If you want to hold the Warriors responsible for boring playoff results, you have to hold The Cavs to the same beef. The Cavs have made one half of the playoff bracket academic for the past 3 seasons.

I don't see how the Warriors can keep this Big Four together past next season, and that's only if Durant is willing to take a discount. Losing Thompson or Green is going to change the face of this team pretty drastically. Hell, maybe Durant reacts to all this pressure, collects his ring and moves onto a more challenging situation. 

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I wouldn't say they put themselves into the position.  Really, they lucked into it.  Curry's ankle issues leading to him signing a cheap deal before taking the leap and becoming one of the best offensive players in the game and the massive salary cap jump that the players union stupidly would not agree to smooth out enabled the Warriors to luck into having the space to sign Durant.

And I don't blame them for signing Durant.  I just blame Durant for being a big enough bitch to join the team that beat him.  That, to me, is hard to fathom. 

C'mon, give credit where credit is due. They knocked 3 draft picks out of the park, one of them a 2nd rounder. They dodged a huge trade bullet when they didn't trade Klay for Love. They have had the best bench in the league for the past 3-4 seasons. This team is very well managed.

The Curry ankle situation was a bit of luck, but that luck could just as easily turn on them in this next contract. Guys Curry's size and stature historically do not age well in this league.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

C'mon, give credit where credit is due. They knocked 3 draft picks out of the park, one of them a 2nd rounder. They dodged a huge trade bullet when they didn't trade Klay for Love. They have had the best bench in the league for the past 3-4 seasons. This team is very well managed.

The Curry ankle situation was a bit of luck, but that luck could just as easily turn on them in this next contract. Guys Curry's size and stature historically do not age well in this league.

I didn't say the team wasn't well-managed, but there was a tremendous amount of luck involved in them getting Durant. That's all I was saying.  If Curry doesn't spend his first few years constantly hurt, he signs a normal rookie max deal and there's no room for Durant.  If the salary cap doesn't explode last year, there's no room for Durant.  If the players are smart and allow the NBA to smooth the cap explosion, there's no room for Durant.  It was a perfect storm of luck for the Warriors.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That bitch has been slapping your boy around the court for the better part of 3 games.

Just because he's good at basketball doesn't mean he's not a bitch.

Luck happens.  Cavs got lucky that they got an all-time player like Lebron from their own backyard.  Doesn't make their 2016 championship any less worthy.

the whining from Warrior-haters sounds much bitchier than anything KD has done.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

If the salary cap doesn't explode last year, there's no room for Durant.  If the players are smart and allow the NBA to smooth the cap explosion, there's no room for Durant.  It was a perfect storm of luck for the Warriors.

Just because he's good at basketball doesn't mean he's not a bitch.

That luck was the same for the entire league last season. Any of a number of teams had room for Durant because of the ceiling being raised on the salary cap. The only team that had any sort of advantage over everyone else was the Thunder.

To that last bit of snark, how do you like getting slapped by a bitch? He buried that dagger 3 (and any hope your boys had to win this series) when LeBron didn't bother to fight his way through that screen. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

To that last bit of snark, how do you like getting slapped by a bitch? He buried that dagger 3 (and any hope your boys had to win this series) when LeBron didn't bother to fight his way through that screen. 

Well, he didn't slap me personally, so I dunno.  You seem to be the one taking all of this personally.  I haven't even lived in Ohio for seven years (haven't even been in the state in five).  I just remained a fan of the teams I grew up with.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

Well, he didn't slap me personally, so I dunno.  You seem to be the one taking all of this personally.  I haven't even lived in Ohio for seven years (haven't even been in the state in five).  I just remained a fan of the teams I grew up with.

Yeah, I'm the one referring to a grown man as a bitch. I'm the one taking this personally, clearly.

Archived