I used to believe... (TV, Book, Fourm theories, and Alleged TV Leaks Spoilers abound)

Lucius Lovejoy

We were all sweet summer children once - probably before finding this forum actually - and had different beliefs about major things.  Let's list them!  No need to defend why you believed what you did, or what information caused you to change your mind (be it from the progression of the books, TV seasons, S7 leaks, or just discussions on the forum).  Just curious what stuff other people used to believe and had to let go.  I'll start.

• I used to believe... that Shireen was the younger and more beautiful queen who would end up on the Iron Throne at the end.
  • I used to believe... that Stannis was the valonquar.
  • I used to believe... that Daenerys would be revealed as the big bad in the series, very slowly changing from innocent hero arc to tragic villain (think Anakin Skywalker if you had seen the mid-2000s Star Wars before the original, and much more subtle).
  • I used to believe... that there would be another book released after ADWD.
  • I used to believe... that Eddard Stark really was Jon Snow's father.
  • I used to believe... that A+J=T or A+J=C&J was the dumbest theory about the show.
  • I used to believe... that the Others/White Walkers could talk and would interact with our major characters at some point during their war.
  • I used to believe... that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna.
  • I used to believe... that the Dothraki would never give up raping, pillaging, and enslaving people.

What did you all believe?

I used to believe the Others had their own culture, that humanity might possibly be able to deal/reason with them...turns out they are basically just ice terminators.

I used to think the Others would simply crawl over the Wall.  Wight dragon from the leaks made me rethink things.  I now think they can't simply go over, under or around the Wall.  They need to break the Wall to invade Westeros imo.  

I used to believe either Jaime or Brienne would die during the Stoneheart meeting.  Seems they will both somehow manage to survive it.  

I used to believe either Theon or Asha would die during  the battle of Ice....now I think they will also both survive it.

I used to think Stannis for sure would live long enough to interact with/oppose Dany, that he would survive to the bitter end of the series, and maybe even join the NW at the end...now I don't see any of that happening.

I used to think Jon would never leave the NW.

I used to think Bran would never leave that cave, that Hodor would certainly survive too...

I used to think Tyrion would possibly be an antagonist to Dany, that he would side with Aegon.  But apparently they become besties.  

The show has definitely pissed on some of my theories.  But it also confirmed some of my favorite theories, so overall I'm not too distraught over my dashed expectations.  

Great idea for a thread!

I used to believe that Bran would never leave the cave.

I used to believe that A+J=T. (I think the show has ruled it out, but some would disagree.)

I used to believe that Tyrion and Dany would end up at odds after Tyrion screwed Dany over in some crucial way.

I used to believe that Jon would Come Back Wrong.

I used to believe that Arya wouldn't be able to leave the FM without some sort of terrible price being exacted by the FM.

Season 7 leaks:

I used to believe that there would be three human dragonriders for three dragons! Man, was I wrong about that. That's probably the biggest shocker for me in terms of things I was wrong about.

I used to believe that Jon and Dany would not have a romantic relationship.

Used to believe:

-Jon wouldn't die, but be in a coma

-Bran would not come back from the cave

-Stannis would die a heroic death [still slim chance in the books]

-Tyrion as a Targaryen was completely, utterly, crackpot

-Jon and Dany would never fall in love

-George RR Martin would finish the series and get Winds out ahead of the show.

-The rest of the direwolves would live.

I am flattered to be summoned here.

I used to believe.... books edition 

... that R+L=J is the dumbest theory in the world (Yes. That was me. I know. Crazy.) 

... that if R+L=J (aka the dumbest theory in the world) could be true, so could the Mirri Maz Duur prophecy.

... that the Red Wedding wasn't foreshadowed. 

... that FAegon could have been switched  No, actually, I still believe that 

... that Joffrey was the worst shit ever. 

... that I liked Tyrion 

... that Arya and/or Daenerys chapters would never get boring 

... that Varys is actually serving the realm

... that Pycelle would never make it out of that black cell.

... that twow would come out in 2015. 

... that Mord was a Targaryen 

... that the third cornerstone on the left at the Mud Gate was a Targaryen 

... that Ser Pounce is Aerys and Joanna's bastard 

I used to believe.... show edition

... that Cersei would die in season 6 

... that Sansa wouldn't always be a brat. 

... that Gilly's baby would grow. 

... that stabbing killed people. 

... that bleeding killed people. 

... that running and jumping while stabbed and bleeding killed people. 

... that Melisandre wouldn't come back

... that Jorah wouldn't come back 

... that Gendry would get a medal for his rowing record. 

On 2017. 05. 31. at 2:21 AM, Lucius Lovejoy said:
  • I used to believe... that there would be another book released after ADWD.

We all did. We all did. :agree: 

On Invalid Date at 10:21 AM, Lucius Lovejoy said:
  • I used to believe... that Eddard Stark really was Jon Snow's father.

Don't give up on that one yet! Obviously in the TV series it is not the case, the following series of clips on YouTube make a compelling case for it (with Ashara Dayne as the mother). Along with lots of other interesting theories (based entirely on what's in the books).

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCni4MJAf7XfS159w3_vWlRw

(Show-only person here)

- I used to believe that the direwolves would play a large role; they were in one of the the very first scenes of the show after all, plus there was magically one puppy for each Stark/ish kid...

- I used to believe that Talisa's rich parents from Volantis would surely investigate/ exact revenge/ play a role in upcoming events (maybe join Dany's cause); after all, Volantis seemed to be an important place, plus what would have been the point of Talisa?

- I used to belive Dorne was an interesting, culturally rich, fun place to be, because Oberyn.

- that there was some internal logic to the Faceless Men and some secret agenda of Jacquen (i.e. he didn't run into Arya by chance; that might still be revealed, I guess)

- that Jaime would seriously regret pushing a child out a window and murdering a relative and get a real redemption arc

- that Loras was a brave night with more character traits than just "gay"...

- that Dany would learn about other forms of government (than feudalism) and later try to apply it in Westeros

- that Dany and Missandei would be having, well, a thing...

- I, too, believed the Others would have a culture (what with the dead animal art) and that they would be more grey

- that people rising from the dead would be thoroughly changed

I'm sure there was more but can't remember right now.

I used to believe...(show version only)

that Sansa would remain a virgin.

that Doran was an intelligent, interesting character.

that Jaime would end things with Cersei.(he might next season, but I thought he would be done with her sooner than that)

that Margaery would outlive Cersei.

that the North would actually remember.

that Faceless Men would have some ulterior motive.

that A + J = T is the most ridiculous theory ever(I think the show is leaning towards that)

that Dany was going to become mad like her father.

I used to believe that the Others have a culture, are an old mythical race, have developed characters, and are not gonna be the typical fantasy evil force. Never ever have I thought that the most overused plot in SyFy and Fantasy, namely that the creation turns against the creators, will be the big reveal of the story. I was fooled by GRRM and the show.

I used to believe that Jon would be resurected beyond the wall and after the Others have attacked Westeros and moved further south and the Watch being destroyed. 

I used to believe that the wall will fall at the end of season 6. 

I used to believe that Danny is gonna defeat Stannis late at the near end of the show.

I used to believe that Jon will handle a pact of peace with the Others in the end. 

I used to believe that Littlefinger is smart.

I used to believe that Dorne will have a point. 

I feared that we will see Aegon and Conington in the show. Although, thank god they didn't. 

I used to believe that George will care for his readers, not only television. 

I used to believe in happy endings until I met the Stark family.

I used to love lemon cakes but now prefer strawberry ones,

I used to believe in Cleganebowl,  

I used to believe Dorne was a nice and happy place, then Sand Snakes and cringy D&D lines happened.

I used to believe that Cersei will die before the white walkers invasion.

I used to believe

* That Bran would learn something useful in the cave, and not just about jons ancestry

* That Arya would commit at least one assasination ordered by the house of black and white.

* That Ned and his men were armoured as knights at the Tower of Joy, and not lightly dressed like in a peasants revolt.

* That Danaerys would develop some targaryan madness (mentioned already in other comments. I just want to support this)

* That Danaerys would scould or even dismiss Tyrion for trusting the masters to much

* That Littlefinger would at least try to pretend to be still loyal to Cersei. I was dissapointed that he claimed to have openly declared for Sansas cause (But maybe he lied about this)

* That there should be more than 2.000 wildings that can still march and fight

* That Stannis would live long enough to confront either Dany or confront Cersei a second time

7 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I used to love lemon cakes but now prefer strawberry ones,

I used to believe Dorne was a nice and happy place, then Sand Snakes and cringy D&D lines happened.

You wanted a good cake, but you need bad cookie.

Spoiler

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I had to. Terrible jokes for life. 

12 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

(Show-only person here)

- I used to believe that Talisa's rich parents from Volantis would surely investigate/ exact revenge/ play a role in upcoming events (maybe join Dany's cause); after all, Volantis seemed to be an important place, plus what would have been the point of Talisa?

- that Jaime would seriously regret pushing a child out a window and murdering a relative and get a real redemption arc

- that Dany would learn about other forms of government (than feudalism) and later try to apply it in Westeros

Wow you are a brave person wandering into this forum. I love knowing the  opinions of show only fans, it's a whole new perspective.

Well, nothing really. Talisa was the top worst waste of screentime up there with Ros, Shae and the party room. Talking about her rich Volantene family served absolute no purpose at all. 

What relative? :o 

she did, about slavery, tribal monarchy or whatever it was the Dothraki had, council led meritocracy or whatever should I name Qarth. she just won't apply it to westeros. 

I used to believe that too!!! I thought they aged up Missandei because Daenerys would have a bit of a something with her in lonely nights. But no, they aged up Missandei so she can have a bit of a nothing with Grey Worm. 

On 6/7/2017 at 1:22 AM, Ser Wun Wun said:

I used to believe the Others had their own culture, that humanity might possibly be able to deal/reason with them...turns out they are basically just ice terminators.

I used to think the Others would simply crawl over the Wall.  Wight dragon from the leaks made me rethink things.  I now think they can't simply go over, under or around the Wall.  They need to break the Wall to invade Westeros imo.  

On 6/7/2017 at 0:24 PM, Newstar said:

I used to believe that Tyrion and Dany would end up at odds after Tyrion screwed Dany over in some crucial way.

I used to believe that Jon would Come Back Wrong.

I used to believe that Arya wouldn't be able to leave the FM without some sort of terrible price being exacted by the FM.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:35 PM, RhaenysB said:

I am flattered to be summoned here.

I used to believe.... books edition 

... that R+L=J is the dumbest theory in the world (Yes. That was me. I know. Crazy.) 

... that if R+L=J (aka the dumbest theory in the world) could be true, so could the Mirri Maz Duur prophecy.

... that the Red Wedding wasn't foreshadowed. 

... that FAegon could have been switched  No, actually, I still believe that 

... that Joffrey was the worst shit ever. 

... that I liked Tyrion 

... that Arya and/or Daenerys chapters would never get boring 

... that Varys is actually serving the realm

... that Pycelle would never make it out of that black cell.

... that twow would come out in 2015. 

... that Mord was a Targaryen 

... that the third cornerstone on the left at the Mud Gate was a Targaryen 

... that Ser Pounce is Aerys and Joanna's bastard 

I used to believe.... show edition

... that Cersei would die in season 6 

... that Sansa wouldn't always be a brat. 

... that Gilly's baby would grow. 

... that stabbing killed people. 

... that bleeding killed people. 

... that running and jumping while stabbed and bleeding killed people. 

... that Melisandre wouldn't come back

... that Jorah wouldn't come back 

... that Gendry would get a medal for his rowing record. 

We all did. We all did. :agree: 

I'm dying here these are so good...

On 6/8/2017 at 4:35 AM, Mindwalker said:

(Show-only person here)

- I used to believe that the direwolves would play a large role; they were in one of the the very first scenes of the show after all, plus there was magically one puppy for each Stark/ish kid...

- I used to belive Dorne was an interesting, culturally rich, fun place to be, because Oberyn.

- that there was some internal logic to the Faceless Men and some secret agenda of Jacquen (i.e. he didn't run into Arya by chance; that might still be revealed, I guess)

- that Loras was a brave night with more character traits than just "gay"...

- I, too, believed the Others would have a culture (what with the dead animal art) and that they would be more grey

- that people rising from the dead would be thoroughly changed

I'm sure there was more but can't remember right now.

LMFAO I'm cringing and literally laughing out loud at the same time.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:13 AM, Lord Friendzone said:

I used to believe in Cleganebowl,  

22 hours ago, Simon Tam said:

I used to believe

* That Bran would learn something useful in the cave, and not just about jons ancestry

* That Arya would commit at least one assasination ordered by the house of black and white.

* That Ned and his men were armoured as knights at the Tower of Joy, and not lightly dressed like in a peasants revolt.

Great observations everyone!  There were some serious things I had never thought of in here, and thankfully it seems we all used to think that logic & reason were important to the show runners.

Archived