House of Cards - season 5

The Monkey

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well no, you should not judge someone innocent. You should presume innocence until guilt is proven. But that should not mean you presume the accuser of being a liar until it is proven they have told the truth.

It sounds to me like Spacey has kind of admitted to being a sexually forward (to put a euphemistic spin on it) back in the 80s, and also accepted that he might have crossed some lines. If he did some inappropriate things I hope we would do what no one so far has done (IIRC) and own up to it and try to make amends to those people directly. Do his own personal version of a truth and reconciliation commission.

This seems highly unlikely given his response so far

18 hours ago, red snow said:

The good thing about one person speaking out is that it lends courage to others to come forward and it goes from "maybe it was a one-off misunderstanding" to "there could be a pattern here".

I thought the same thing but then a more worrying thing crossed my mind - it's quite possible that the people who didn't give a shit about voting someone into the white house with similar/worse accusations also don't give a shit about Weinstein,Spacey, etc. They probably think it's those "SJWs" ruining life for men/white folk.

The difference here is that there isn't a vote on whether Spacey should finish filming "house of cards" (there probably is on Fox News somewhere). I guess some Trump supporters would show disgust at Spacey but mainly because he's gay as opposed to him doing anything "wrong". I really don't think the world is united on these allegations being "wrong" let alone whether they are "true".

Of course you are right about this.

17 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

With regards to Netflix's original streaming, it's a house that House of Cards built, turned out it's a house built on a house of cards.

It's an Arrested Development.

I apologize, I do take this seriously, but if I didn't write that I would have burst a blood vessel. The whole mess sucks and Weinstein and Spacey and the rest are scum. Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law I'm totally for, but I'm also for taking very seriously and never brushing off victims and their accusations to these transgressions.

Among others, I keep thinking how fortunate for Bowie that's he's no longer with us.  He was a notorious predator of very young boys and girls for a long time.  People have threatened to kill me for telling such lies, but they are anything but lies.  I have long-time friends who were the musicians on Bowie's very long tours.  They saw it, which is how I know it.  They never mentioned it in public until after his death, only to their close friends who they knew wouldn't say anything.  Bowie treated his touring musicians very well, which is why he was able to keep through these year's long ordeals (if one doesn't think touring is a difficult way of life, one has never been on one).  He constantly paid for their families to come and join them -- and gave them family leave periodically engaging subs.  Other things Bowie did were equally sympathetic.  But he also did a lot of other things that were not, which no one would be better places to know first hand than the musicians who lived with him for so long.

This screed by way of -- gads, this has been going on in every walk of life all of women's lives -- and for boys and men too, though on a lesser level for adult males, of course.

So as per latest news Netflix have cut all ties with Spacey. He will not be in the remaining episodes that still need to be shot for season 6. Apparently Netflix and the production company for the show will try and finish the remainder of the season without him, his character will die.

The other Spacey project, which he directed and starred in as the lead character Vidal, was already shot, but will not be released...

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

So as per latest news Netflix have cut all ties with Spacey. He will not be in the remaining episodes that still need to be shot for season 6. Apparently Netflix and the production company for the show will try and finish the remainder of the season without him, his character will die.

The other Spacey project, which he directed and starred in as the lead character Vidal, was already shot, but will not be released...

Wow, that's gonna be weird. Is the show still ending or have they decided to carry on with Claire as president? 

On 11/3/2017 at 5:19 PM, Zorral said:

...Other things Bowie did were equally sympathetic.  But he also did a lot of other things that were not, which no one would be better places to know first hand than the musicians who lived with him for so long.

There once was an episode of The Good Wife in which a great humanitarian, someone who fought for women's rights etc was also a serial abuser and rapist, IIRC. I remember how Diane Lockhart looked horrified. I feel as if I am living that these days with Spacey. I really respected him and I went through entire Kubler-Ross system with this.

As someone said, had Spacey not addressed this, how long would we live not knowing about it?

That said, I am sorry, not only for all those who suffered abuse from him, but for all those people who worked on the set of HoC whose work and effort over the course of years will go down the drain. Shame on him!!!

32 minutes ago, Risto said:

SNIP:

There once was an episode of The Good Wife in which a great humanitarian, someone who fought for women's rights etc was also a serial abuser and rapist, IIRC. I remember how Diane Lockhart looked horrified.

Today we learn that Good Wife's Julia Margulies was also harrassed, by both Weinstein and Steven Seagal.

It repeatedly boggles my mind at least -- what else in the world did Weinstein DO other than abuse, harass and rape women?  The numbers are astounding, really astounding.

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Today we learn that Good Wife's Julia Margulies was also harrassed, by both Weinstein and Steven Seagal.

It repeatedly boggles my mind at least -- what else in the world did Weinstein DO other than abuse, harass and rape women?  The numbers are astounding, really astounding.

I think it is the perspective that is completely changing. We see these women as powerful, independent, rich, with fancy clothes and jewelry. We never think of them as victims of abuse or rape. We want to be with them, hang with them, never even questioning what is behind all that facade. And then this happens and it starts to crack until all dirt is being revealed. Can you imagine the horror of every agent, publicist, industry worker in LA right now? 

As a feminist, as a man, as a human being, I am thoroughly disgusted by the behavior of those men. Finally, to quote my Buddha, the Queen of my heart:

'We like looking sexy but it doesn't mean we want to f**k you'

3 hours ago, Risto said:

There once was an episode of The Good Wife in which a great humanitarian, someone who fought for women's rights etc was also a serial abuser and rapist, IIRC. I remember how Diane Lockhart looked horrified. I feel as if I am living that these days with Spacey. I really respected him and I went through entire Kubler-Ross system with this.

As someone said, had Spacey not addressed this, how long would we live not knowing about it?

That said, I am sorry, not only for all those who suffered abuse from him, but for all those people who worked on the set of HoC whose work and effort over the course of years will go down the drain. Shame on him!!!

I remember an episode of SNL where Kevin Spacey hosted. This was from twenty years ago. The whole "shtick" during the opening monologue was the writers super imposing text as Kevin talked to explain that they were forced to do things his way because Spacey's a psycho. I never forgot that monologue because I thought it was funny, now I'm kind of disturbed by it, I figured they were playing on an image of Kevin because of the creepy characters he plays, but maybe part of it was an all too much truth in advertising. There were stories/open secrets out there about him then and they were playing on it for laughs. :stillsick: 

I found the transcript of it, I'll only quote the super imposed portions:

[ SUPER: "We know what you're thinking.
This is stupid." ] 

[ SUPER: "The only reason we allowed Kevin Spacey to sing this song is because he threatened us.
Seriously." ] 

[ SUPER: "He is a very sick individual with severe emotional problems.
For example, he demanded a seperate dressing room for "The bad Kevin."
Kevin Spacey also has a history of violent behavior." ] 

[ SUPER: "Dennis Hopper has refused to work with him." ] 

[ SUPER: "During Thursday's rehearsal, Kevin stuck a gun in Norm MacDonald's mouth.
Needless to say, Norm didn't like it.
According to his court-appointed psychiatrist, you "should avoid making any sudden movements around Kevin Spacey."
Last night a crew member accidentally dropped a cue card.
Kevin responded by shoving Don Pardo down a flight of stairs.
And then he stuck a gun in Norm MacDonald's mouth.
The next time you see one of his movies, just remember that Kevin Spacey plays psychos...
Because he really is a psycho." ] 

On 11/3/2017 at 10:49 PM, Calibandar said:

If the stuff mentioned here is true then he is done.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-spacey-sexual-assault-house-of-cards-2017-11?IR=T

Even if it's not completely true, it seems likely that he'll spend a fair amount of time off the screen.

Let's hope 2017 is a watershed year and that situations of sexual harassment and assault in "Hollywood" becomes a thing that happened before 2017 and after 2017 that sort of behaviour largely goes away. Would be nice if it disappeared entirely, but I don't think sexual predators are suddenly going to turn over a new leaf, but maybe they'll try to pursue their desires in a less coercive, less threatening and more consensual manner.

I feel like I'm being naive. Am I being naive? 

59 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Even if it's not completely true, it seems likely that he'll spend a fair amount of time off the screen.

Let's hope 2017 is a watershed year and that situations of sexual harassment and assault in "Hollywood" becomes a thing that happened before 2017 and after 2017 that sort of behaviour largely goes away. Would be nice if it disappeared entirely, but I don't think sexual predators are suddenly going to turn over a new leaf, but maybe they'll try to pursue their desires in a less coercive, less threatening and more consensual manner.

Yes

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yes.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Sansa Stark was not this naive. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zorral said:

House of Cards will continue -- with Robin Wright as the lead, and for only 8 episodes.  Spin-off considered.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/dec/04/house-of-cards-to-resume-production-for-final-season-without-kevin-spacey

Again, and I really have to reiterate this, I truly feel sorry for all those people who worked on HoC set and whose work has been "tainted" by Mr Spacey's actions. This was a series that launched Netflix, their first hit, a series that truly had the impact on how we perceive the politics in D.C. Frank Underwood was in line with many great antiheroes on TV such as Walter White, Gregory House, Don Draper, etc. It is just sad to see it going down like this, but we can't help it. It has to be this way and no other way.

2 hours ago, Risto said:

Again, and I really have to reiterate this, I truly feel sorry for all those people who worked on HoC set and whose work has been "tainted" by Mr Spacey's actions. This was a series that launched Netflix, their first hit, a series that truly had the impact on how we perceive the politics in D.C. Frank Underwood was in line with many great antiheroes on TV such as Walter White, Gregory House, Don Draper, etc. It is just sad to see it going down like this, but we can't help it. It has to be this way and no other way.

BUT -- so far, netflix hasn't acted -- or even spoken, beyond one exec saying they didn't believe the three women were telling the truth -- about The Ranch guy who roofied and raped three women, even though the cops say it's so.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/danny-masterson-netflix-executive-rape-allegations_us_5a24b480e4b03c44072e6b97

NPR, my local station in particular, the public radio 'flagship's station, is having to deal right now with their refusal to deal with the abuse, bullying, harassment, disaparagement of John Hockenberry (The Takeaway), particularly of women of color.  There was a long segment about it on one of the two big talk shows on WNYC, and the callers were furious, saying for years, on the air, they heard what he was doing in terms of bullying and treating women, whether co-hosts or guests, like shit, so where the eff was WNYC management, huh? Why only now are they 'soul searching', now that this piece ran in the New York Magazine?

https://www.thecut.com/2017/12/public-radio-icon-john-hockenberry-accused-of-harassment.html

http://www.wnyc.org/story/harassment-and-bullying-allegations-rock-wnyc-after-departure-celebrated-host 

By the way, have you watched the SNL skit that includes reaction to lamentations to hhe end of the HOC as it was known?

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/3/16729478/snl-women-welcome-to-hell

What they are saying is really bad behavior by so many men have been making hell of all women's lives forever.  So, guys, lamenting the loss of something because Kevin Spacey is a nasty piece of shyte -- join the girls' club.  It was a very clever piece of staging and skitting, but it is definitely bitter.  And despite all the all girly candy decor, it's anything but sweet.  That's how these things affect women constantly, including, like the people who work on HOC, losing income, jobs and careers.

Archived