Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

Speaking of..

I watched John Wick 2. I liked the expansion of the universe but I thought the sudden introduction of Rule # 2 and the blood oath marker was a little cheezy. Still you watch this movie for shootouts and fights scenes and it delivered in a way that they can churn out 100 more chapters of John Wick and I'll still keep watching. The Rome scenes were a little underwhelming but I don't know if that's because they were very hyped for me or because of poor lighting (I watched it on a plane and had hard time seeing some of the scenes). I really liked Common and Ruby Rose's characters. Definitely would watch more scenes with them.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:48 PM, WarGalley said:

I watched the first season of TNT's Animal Kingdom on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it well enough to pass the time. I got strong vibes of The Shield in that I wouldn't be very surprised if someone told me both shows took place in the same universe.  I do grow weary of the dumb criminal as comic relief trope but this was not near as prevalent as in other shows like Justified. I generally liked all of the characters but I think Ellen Barkin's "Smurf" and Shawn Hatosy's "Pope" stood out the most in a creepy and sinister way. I find myself really curious what Kath Pettingill (real life Smurf) is like in real life.. and though she'd probably be harmless, I'd be scared to actually meet her.

Now I just need to watch the movie.

I couldn't recommend the movie enough. The performances by Ben Mendelsohn and Jacki Weaver as Pope and Smurf are incredible and chilling. It has a more subtle approach to the criminal aspects of the family than the show(I watched about 4 episodes) but Michôd portrays plenty of tension and drama filled scenes throughout. The score is brilliant too.

34 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I couldn't recommend the movie enough. The performances by Ben Mendelsohn and Jacki Weaver as Pope and Smurf are incredible and chilling. It has a more subtle approach to the criminal aspects of the family than the show(I watched about 4 episodes) but Michôd portrays plenty of tension and drama filled scenes throughout. The score is brilliant too.

I didn't realize there was a movie.  Is it a seperate entity?  I enjoyed the first season of the show, but haven't caught any of the new season yet.

1 hour ago, Fiddler said:

I didn't realize there was a movie.  Is it a seperate entity?  I enjoyed the first season of the show, but haven't caught any of the new season yet.

The movie is Australian. I second Ramsay B's comments. Mendelsohn is awesome in it. 

A little bummed that I lost Better Call Saul, Genius, and Fargo in the same week.... 

We've picked up Queen of the South, and Animal Kingdom... but neither are A-list shows... Orphan Black and Turn help though...and at least there's Preacher to look forward to...

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

A little bummed that I lost Better Call Saul, Genius, and Fargo in the same week.... 

We've picked up Queen of the South, and Animal Kingdom... but neither are A-list shows... Orphan Black and Turn help though...and at least there's Preacher to look forward to...

Yeah, Gomorrah, American Gods and Fargo just ended with The Leftovers finishing two weeks ago. And nothing new on Netflix has really interested me. I watched the first episode of GLOW last night, but didn't enjoy it much.

However, Snowfall premieres July 5th.http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/snowfall That and GOT are the only summer shows I'm anticipating.

Turn's season 3 is hair-raising tense, suspenseful, and realistically includes the increasing levels of violence among both Tories and Patriots as the war really gets underway.  Some characters that we are pulling for show themselves less than honorable.  Others we see historically as less than honorable we get to see their pov in these matters.  Among the actors who finally get to show their stuff as the characters they play that I particularly admire is Ksenia Solo (we fell in love with her as Kenzi on Lost Girl) who plays Peggy Shippen.

It's so tense that I can only do a single episode at a time!

Such a long war this one is too -- though if I have it right historically the Ring operated only in the earliest phase.

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Turn's season 3 is hair-raising tense, suspenseful, and realistically includes the increasing levels of violence among both Tories and Patriots as the war really gets underway.  Some characters that we are pulling for show themselves less than honorable.  Others we see historically as less than honorable we get to see their pov in these matters.  Among the actors who finally get to show their stuff as the characters they play that I particularly admire is Ksenia Solo (we fell in love with her as Kenzi on Lost Girl) who plays Peggy Shippen.

It's so tense that I can only do a single episode at a time!

Such a long war this one is too -- though if I have it right historically the Ring operated only in the earliest phase.

Is it good then? I've never heard it even mentioned or reviewed. I watched an episode when it first came out and I didn't bother to continue watching.

It's an adult series, meaning lots of ambiguity and realism (if not always historical accuracy) for the events, characters and motivations of the war of independence, rather than the mythology of really good plain homespun 'murrikans vs the truly eviLe aristo Brits (though in many ways the worst of the bunch, so far is a Brit, though he does seem a composite of more than one sadistic redcoat officer (though the theater of these historical officers was in the South, not New England or New York).

IOW, the protagonists are all adults with the conflicting motivations and emotions of adults in this very trying time.  Superhero kids definitely do not save the day.  I very much like it, but as said, it is so tense (for me) I can't watch a lot at a single session. I like it more with each season.

The indoor scenes and night time scenes are shot quite dark -- candle and fire light are all there is, which maybe people don't much like.  Also, let's face it, few people know much if anything at all when it comes to the figures of the War of Independence beyond about 5 of them.  They don't know the battles, the geography -- they don't know anything at all.

One of my favorite episodes was in the first season, with the submersible mission under the Hudson River (called the North River then) to New York (or York City as it was called then)-- something that really happened.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

Yeah, Gomorrah, American Gods and Fargo just ended with The Leftovers finishing two weeks ago. And nothing new on Netflix has really interested me. I watched the first episode of GLOW last night, but didn't enjoy it much.

However, Snowfall premieres July 5th.http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/snowfall That and GOT are the only summer shows I'm anticipating.

I'm enjoying GLOW, although it's not my favourite show out there. It's good enough to keep me invested though.  Edit: huh, few more episodes in and it's growing on me. Betty Gilpin is reminding me of Audrey on American Gods at times though :lol:  Similar character background...

By contrast I just binged Sneaky Pete over the course of the last two days. That was a great show. Though I guess it's a make or break deal in the first episode if you can buy the first lie. If you can't  suspend your belief chances are you won't enjoy the show but I could and did, a great deal.

I watched the French animated series Last Man a month or so ago, and I just wanted to share because there isn't that many non-Japanese adult animated series.

The description:

Paxtown is a capital under the influence of drugs and corruption, torn apart by inequality and poisoned by the mafia. Here, trouble lurks at every corner. In this depraved metropolis, Richard Aldana grew up to be a cunning young man, without attachments or ambitions. In his spare time, he boxes. For Aldana, boxing is neither a sport nor a passion; it's just a way to keep annoyances at bay. Despite having real talent, Richard would rather die than wear satin shirts and participate in the championship of ultra-violent martial arts, the Fist Fight Funeral Cup, for which all of Paxtown turns up.

But all that was before everything fell apart. Before his friend Dave, the owner of the boxing club, was murdered. Overnight, Aldana becomes the protector of his friend’s orphaned daughter, Siri. Those who killed Siri’s father are now targeting her. They call themselves “The Order of the Lion”. They are a religious sect much more dangerous than the cops or gangsters that usually cause trouble in Paxtown. These nutjobs think Siri is the key to their "other world". Searching in Dave's past for what could have triggered such a shit storm, Aldana and Siri are drawn into a quest that overwhelms them, one in which the words “Valley of the King” - a mythological land of magic and demons – keep popping up.

And the trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ6CPq0H8IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CtGzj7NmSA

Despite what you may read on the internet, the series is finished and the dubbed English version should be released soon somewhere (but no, I dunno where).

8 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'm really excited for Snowfall. 

I finished the first season of Twin Peaks. It obviously has some cheesiness but I think it held up for the most part. I wanna finish a rewatch before I start the new one, but I saw that the second season has 22 episodes(first had 8). That's a bit much. Anyone watching the new season? Enjoying it?

Yeah I'm also looking forward to Snowfall too.

I watched Shimmer Lake on Netflix. Dark dramady crime film in the same vein as Fargo (honest cop investigates nitwitted burglary). Enjoyable enough to pass the 90 minute runtime. The end has a twist you just don't see coming.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I finished the first season of Twin Peaks. It obviously has some cheesiness but I think it held up for the most part. I wanna finish a rewatch before I start the new one, but I saw that the second season has 22 episodes(first had 8). That's a bit much. Anyone watching the new season? Enjoying it?

I just started the new one tonight. I'm a couple episodes in and I'm digging it. It's even weirder and more fucked up than the original. :o

17 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I just started the new one tonight. I'm a couple episodes in and I'm digging it. It's even weirder and more fucked up than the original. :o

Awesome. I'll start it soon. 

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me was on one of the movie channels yesterday so I watched it. I always liked it. I remember having it on VHS so me and my sister watched it many times growing up. She was absolutely terrified of Bob.

22 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I've always liked to pretend that season 2 ended with the unmaskimg of Laura's killer - I think that was episode 2.9 - because that would make for a great ending, and the rest of season 2 is aimless and awful. I dropped it mid way because I couldn't go on, no matter how much I loved the show before, and on rewatch I tried to get through it, but dropped it again, and only saw the last couple of episodes.

I've always liked the film. I still haven't seen the new episodes - I intend to rewatch the season 2 finale and the film, and watch "Missing Pieces" (deleted scenes from the film  - I haven't seen them before), before plunging into the new episodes.

Watched the first three episodes of The Mist.  HOLY CRAP IS ALYSSA SUTHERLAND'S VERSION OF AN AMERICAN ACCENT BAD!

No characters in common with the movie so far as I can tell.  Reviewers seem enthusiastic about the show, but I can't really figure out why.  :dunno:

11 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I've been watching Glow this weekend. I wasn't hooked from the get go but it gets going and they get more into the wrestling it gets really good. Overall I really liked it and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

I am only on episode five, but I'm really digging the show. 

10 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Watched the first three episodes of The Mist.  HOLY CRAP IS ALYSSA SUTHERLAND'S VERSION OF AN AMERICAN ACCENT BAD!

No characters in common with the movie so far as I can tell.  Reviewers seem enthusiastic about the show, but I can't really figure out why.  :dunno:

I saw the trailer and was really not interested, but then it got all this great buzz. So now I'm reconsidering giving it a try once S1 has finished airing. I loved the Frank Darabont movie, so the series has some big shoes to fill.

I watched Transformers Last Knight in cinemas. It may well be the worst film of the last decade. If that sounds like hyperbole, see this film and find yourself nodding in agreement.

Nothing about it makes sense. Very little of it is amusing. The Transformers themselves act and look ridiculous. The film is very racist. It is one big fat disappointment from start to finish. On top of that it is far too long at 2,5 hours. People at halftime were complaining in the cinema. You should have heard the reactions afterwards.

Almost no redeeming value. The way they tried to bring in Merlin and King Arthur and completely butchered that made it so much worse. Then the sexual innuendo between Wahlberg and the unknown English woman. Man this was woeful. Even for an explosion freak like Bay this film is just one big explosion from start to finish, so absurd. Most irritating is how worthless he makes the Transformers, how nothing in these films has any meaning.

Archived