Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:31 AM, Raja said:

Yeah, this is not what Mad Men is about ( arguably, you'll still find a lot of that in a couple of seasons ). The office stuff is my favorite part of the show, but I don't think it goes up to that level (or is even trying to, tbh) To me, Mad Men has *always* been a show about it's characters and less about the cutthroat nature of Madison Avenue. None of the seasons are too long either, I think it's about 11-12 episodes? I'm curious to see what Isis thinks of the show at the end of the first season.

It also has one of the best performances by Jarrod Harris!!

I'd totally participate in a rewatch thread, if someone wants to make it! ( I regret not coming to the board in time for S1-S4)

Edit: I do totally get if people think the show meanders and is slow, that's a valid criticism, but I think I got to a point with the show that I just enjoyed being with the characters that it didn't really matter where the plot went ( which is basically where I am with the GOT books too)

It's a fantastic show. Of course everybody knows it's slower paced than most top tier tv shows, but this did not rake in the Emmy's year after year for nothing. But Isis' problem with the show was that she feels it is way too misogynistic for her taste, and if that is the case, it's never going to be a show for her.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

It's a fantastic show. Of course everybody knows it's slower paced than most top tier tv shows, but this did not rake in the Emmy's year after year for nothing. But Isis' problem with the show was that she feels it is way too misogynistic for her taste, and if that is the case, it's never going to be a show for her.

I wouldn't agree with that. There's a huge difference between a show (film, book...) portraying a misogynistic society/misogynistic characters, and a show itself being misogynistic. It's the whoe depiction vs endorsement thing, which, oddly enough, people seem to confuse.

The most interesting show I've watched in a long time is The Young Pope.

The show I've enjoyed the most, of course, is The Last Kingdom.  And Outlander -- which is the most beautiful.

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I wouldn't agree with that. There's a huge difference between a show (film, book...) portraying a misogynistic society/misogynistic characters, and a show itself being misogynistic. It's the whoe depiction vs endorsement thing, which, oddly enough, people seem to confuse.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about Mad Men -i.e. it's depicting a misogynistic society, but isn't a misogynistic show - then again, I'm also a dude so I'm not sure that my opinion counts for much.

50 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Been watching new twin peaks, the handmaids tale, orphan black, finished orange is the new black and GLOW. 

Just watched But I'm a cheerleader 

What did you think of GLOW? I'm finishing it up now and thought it was very good, after a bit of a weak first episode. 

My watch list is almost identical to yours at the moment, although for me replace Twin Peaks with Fargo. 

Oh, and iZombie. Season finale tonight/tomorrow morning :)

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

What did you think of GLOW? I'm finishing it up now and thought it was very good, after a bit of a weak first episode. 

My watch list is almost identical to yours at the moment, although for me replace Twin Peaks with Fargo. 

Oh, and iZombie. Season finale tonight/tomorrow morning :)

I've got I zombie to catch up on and I need to watcheck Fargo two and three. 

I LOVE GLOW!!! So much fun!! 

Lots of time on airplanes in the last two weeks during our vacation meant that I was bingeing episodes on my iPad to pass the time.

I watched all of S1 of Boardwalk Empire and all of S2 of The Last Kingdom.  BE-S1 was pretty good although I'm not yet sure how interested I am in moving on to S2; it's good but not massively compelling.  LK-S2 was very good and markedly improved on S1; it's less stylized than Vikings but has better narrative thrust and really surprisingly high production quality.

I tried Gomorrah S1Ep1.  Really stylish direction, music, etc, but I found the subtitles annoying.  I can't immerse myself when I have to read the dialogue all the time.  Perhaps it was made worse by reading the subtitles on the smaller iPad screen.  I might give it another chance but it's just a pity it's not in English.

I also watched Cooper Barrett's Guide To Life.  That's a fun sitcom that I had completely overlooked.  Like a cross between New Girl and Happy Endings.

I need to catch up on the last two episodes of Fargo S3.  And I need to decide if Better Call Saul S3 is worth watching; after S2 I decided to hold off on watching unless there was some narrative or character progress.

9 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I watch everything with subtitles so Gommorah was easy for me. 

Been watching Frisky Dingo. Adam Reeds show before Archer.. it's fucking hilarious

I always find it funny to see English-speaking people complaining about subtitles. Being from a non-English speaking country that - thank the gods old and new! - never dubbed anything other than children's csrtoons (seriously, what's up with so many countries dubbing everything? It's terrible), I've been used to reading subtitles all my life. There's nothing difficult about it. Though I guess it may be if you're watching things on a really, really small screen (but then I generally wouldn't want to watch TV shows on a really, really small screen. I'd watch on my tablet, but not on my phone).

I also prefer to watch everything I can with subtitles, no matter which language it is in. Otherwise there's always some moment when an actor mumbles a line or the sound is bad, and you have to rewind, which is pretty annoying.

For me it's the same. I am used to watching everything with subs and even English language shows I prefer with subs, there is always someone in a show whose pronunciation is hard to understand.

As for dubbing, the Germans and French do it all the time, and when they're adults, you can see the result.

17 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I tried Gomorrah S1Ep1.  Really stylish direction, music, etc, but I found the subtitles annoying.  I can't immerse myself when I have to read the dialogue all the time.  Perhaps it was made worse by reading the subtitles on the smaller iPad screen.  I might give it another chance but it's just a pity it's not in English.

Ya, really rude of those Italian / Neapolitan television guys making a series set in Italy - Naples to do it in Italian.  Shame on them! :rolleyes:

I'm still fishing around for something on Netflix to capture my interest for a binge. In a bit of a rut at the moment. Last night I watched the first episode of the South Korean series, Bad Guys. Entertaining first episode and interesting premise.

@williamjm I know you watch the Americans and mentioned a while ago about not having an air date here yet. Well in case, like me, you missed it, it started 12th June on ITV Encore (such obscurity for such a good show). 

So, that will also be added to my watch list now :)

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@williamjm I know you watch the Americans and mentioned a while ago about not having an air date here yet. Well in case, like me, you missed it, it started 12th June on ITV Encore (such obscurity for such a good show). 

So, that will also be added to my watch list now :)

Thanks for pointing that out. They seem to have done a very poor job of advertising it, I can find it on NowTV (who get the ITV Encore shows) if I search for it but it didn't show up in their 'New Releases'. Sadly it doesn't seem to have attracted much of an audience in the UK.

Baby Driver was a very enjoyable film, it was more action and less comedy than I was expecting so while I wasn't laughing throughout like I'd had hoped I don't think there wasn't a moment where I wasn't entertained 

watched Okja on Netflix tonight. Excellent film, well written and directed and gorgeously shot. Nice commentary on the pleasant face of corporate capitalism contrasted with the ugly reality, and a perfect blend of satire and disturbia. Great use of music, especially the Seoul chase sequence with ALF and Mirando. And I'd be remiss for not mentioning the superb cast too, particularly the young girl portraying Mija. Blending sweet innocence and fierce determination with ease and managing to shine in a talented lineup.

I only wish I had the chance to see it in a cinema

Definitely recommend it!

Finally got around to finishing Hannibal. Think I'd have to file this series under liked it didn't love it. Mads was great (still prefer Hopkins though) and I dig Bryan Fuller's style, but I found some of the episodes a little too slow. It took me forever to get through S1, but I'm glad I stuck it out S2 and S3 were so much better. 

Archived