Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

I watched Kong: Skull Island. I was more entertained than I thought I would be -- mainly because I loved the soundtrack and the way some of the scenes were edited together with the photographs being taken. John C. Reilly's character was still funny despite seeing most of his lines in the trailer. In fact, I've seen almost all of this movie before in some form or another but they still pulled it off such that I was entertained.

Had a day at home sick today so watched War Machine, which was kind of obvious, but still blackly humourous and appalling at the same time.

Also watched a three part ITV series called Midwinter of the Spirit which was billed as a female priest training to become an exorcist. It's actually more about solving a mystery, with some family drama tied in. It was nicely atmospheric, with some lovely cinematography, and was well acted for the most part. It's not that scary or spooky so don't be put off if you're like me and worry about stuff giving you nightmares. If you like moody shows and are looking for something short to watch in an evening give it a go.

Finally, after watching that we felt compelled to watch Hot Fuzz. It is the 10 year anniversary after all. :)

I watched God Help The Girl. It's a film based on an album made as a side project by Belle and Sebastian's Stuart Murdoch. I like the album (which I remember originally hearing after it was recommended to me by @Eyelesbarrow in one of the board's 'what are you listening to threads' many years ago), so was curious about the film. I'm generally a bit dubious about the idea of musicals, but I thought it mostly managed to integrate the musical numbers into the film without it being too jarring. At times it did verge on being a bit twee, but in the end I thought it managed to be quite poignant. I thought Emily Browning put in a good performance in the lead role, I did spend most of the film trying to figure out where I recognised her from before finding out afterwards that she's American Gods's Laura Moon.

I'm almost done watching season 3 of Lost. Because I watched those seasons when they originally aired, I expected to notice some plot holes and some confusing events that would never be explained.  However, the final scene of episode 13, where we finally learn how Locke became paralyzed, made me want to throw the remote against the wall.  Seriously, how I am supposed to believe...

that the Others have a magic box and that Locke's dad just popped out of it?

ETA:

It took several episodes to get to the explanation, but I finally realized that Ben was just giving an fantastic description of how Locke's dad got to the island.

I sat down earlier tonight to watch one episode of HBO's doc The Defiant Ones. About 5hrs later I've watched all four. Allen Hughes did a helluva job directing this. As a 90s kid I knew most of the Dre side of the story with NWA through Deathrow, etc. But all the Jimmy Iovine history was new to me. Absolutely fascinating and captivating documentary.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:24 PM, WarGalley said:

I watched Kong: Skull Island. I was more entertained than I thought I would be...

Agreed. I saw it in IMAX 3D when it was in theaters and was thoroughly entertained.

51 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I sat down earlier tonight to watch one episode of HBO's doc The Defiant Ones. About 5hrs later I've watched all four. Allen Hughes did a helluva job directing this. As a 90s kid I knew most of the Dre side of the story with NWA through Deathrow, etc. But all the Jimmy Iovine history was new to me. Absolutely fascinating and captivating documentary.

I finished it yesterday and thought it was well done and interesting as hell. A must watch for any music lover really, especially fans of the artists who were part of Interscope. I didn't know anything about Jimmy either and it amazes me when learning about people are just so insanely driven at what they do. I wonder what that's like? Good watch. 

13 hours ago, Isis said:

Shaun of the Dead is 13 years old. Hot Fuzz is 10.

Wow, can't believe I flubbed that. That the two are so linked in my mind, can be my only reasoning. I actually think I prefer Hot Fuzz... but  it's really, really close.

8 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Picking Gomorrah back up. Got a few eps left in season one then I'm gonna binge season two at the weekend.

Stay away from that Gomorrah thread until you're done with S2.. there are MASSIVE spoilers in there.

That said, I'd be curious about your reaction after S1.

1 minute ago, WarGalley said:

Stay away from that Gomorrah thread until you're done with S2.. there are MASSIVE spoilers in there.

That said, I'd be curious about your reaction after S1.

Ha just posted in there but yeah I didn't read anything. 

I was pretty surprised by a lot of the twists at the end of s1 like Lady Imma getting killed and Pietro faking it. Dont think I can ever root for Ciro again but damn he works well under pressure.

War for the Planet of the Apes may be the most disappointing movie of the summer. I mean, I expected Transformers 5 to be bad, but it ended up being horrible...so very, very horrible. However, I expected WFTPOTA to be at least good and it was just...boring. So very, very boring. The trailers were very misleading as this is not an action movie. There are two big action scenes one in the woods at the beginning and one in the snowy mountains at the end of the film. Both scenes are shown in the trailers and neither scene is that much longer than the actual trailers. If you insist on seeing this one in the theater go in with low expectations.

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

War for the Planet of the Apes may be the most disappointing movie of the summer. I mean, I expected Transformers 5 to be bad, but it ended up being horrible...so very, very horrible. However, I expected WFTPOTA to be at least good and it was just...boring. So very, very boring. The trailers were very misleading as this is not an action movie. There are two big action scenes one in the woods at the beginning and one in the snowy mountains at the end of the film. Both scenes are shown in the trailers and neither scene is that much longer than the actual trailers. If you insist on seeing this one in the theater go in with low expectations.

wow thats really disappointing. I heard it was a bit more formulaic but mostly it sounded like a decent movie. I liked the previous 2

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

wow thats really disappointing. I heard it was a bit more formulaic but mostly it sounded like a decent movie. I liked the previous 2

As PetyrPunkinhead said, it's definitely not a war story. It's more about the characters, which I was totally fine with and found enjoyable. It has flaws, but it was still  one of my favorite movies this summer, and I highly recommend it.

I watched The Girl on the Train. It was reasonably entertaining, but I suspect not a film I'd watch again. It feels like a trashy thriller that is elevated a bit by some good acting and film-making, Emily Blunt is particularly good. The narrative has to be extremely contrived to make the plot work, and even then it barely works - it's hard to see how the police aren't able to work out who the murderer is themselves.

Archived