Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

Finished watching Vikings's first half of the 4th season. Fourth season is crap, nonsense crap. But I wanna know how the story goes on. Not watching the other half until Netflix uploads it because I'm not in a hurry.

Started watching The Last Kingdom. Had some problems with the first episode (got confused with so many Ragnars, different ways to call the vikings, etc), but the following episodes are better. I can't help but to love Alfred. 

Also started watching Glow but taking it slow. 

Watched Lars and the Real Girl, which was excellent and really quite gripping emotionally. Moving stuff.

Watched Baby Driver in cinema, which I thought was ridiculous and dull ( more thoughts on why in the topical thread).

11 hours ago, Baltan said:

Finished watching Vikings's first half of the 4th season. Fourth season is crap, nonsense crap. But I wanna know how the story goes on. Not watching the other half until Netflix uploads it because I'm not in a hurry.

Started watching The Last Kingdom. Had some problems with the first episode (got confused with so many Ragnars, different ways to call the vikings, etc), but the following episodes are better. I can't help but to love Alfred. 

Also started watching Glow but taking it slow. 

Weren't there just two Ragnars in TLK, father and son? I don't remember what other things people called the vikings, I thought everyone just called them Danes?

I like Alfred too. Smart guy, and a nice counterpart to Uthred, ~♧whi can be a bit of an idiot.

2 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Why didn't anyone tell me The Great British Bake Off is so awesome? 

That is a well established fact on this board. Would you also blame folk for not telling you the sky is blue? Same kind of obvious statements ;) 

Just home from Dunkirk.

Mixed thoughts. Visceral, claustrophobic, and horrifying at times but a lot of the impact is wiped away for me cause I didn't give a single shit about any of the characters (maybe a little for Mark Rylance and his son.) It was loud as fuck which added to the intense vibes but made it so I could barely understand half the dialogue. Definitely need a second watch with subtitles when it comes out on HBO or whatever.

19 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That is a well established fact on this board. Would you also blame folk for not telling you the sky is blue? Same kind of obvious statements ;) 

Fair point :P 

I wish Netflix had more of it though. They only have the three seasons that were shown in the US. Which I think is series 5, 4 and 6. I assume they did them out of order because 5 was such a good season and they wanted to hook people in. The contestants were just much more interesting in that one I think. Norman was my favorite :( 

17 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Just home from Dunkirk.

Reveal hidden contents

Mixed thoughts. Visceral, claustrophobic, and horrifying at times but a lot of the impact is wiped away for me cause I didn't give a single shit about any of the characters (maybe a little for Mark Rylance and his son.) It was loud as fuck which added to the intense vibes but made it so I could barely understand half the dialogue. Definitely need a second watch with subtitles when it comes out on HBO or whatever.

Saw it yesterday. I'm a huge Nolan fan, but the trailers never hyped me or anything, I never was interested in the movie, but it' Nolan so I still decided to see it in theater.

I felt exactly like you did, but I can say I didn't like it. I didn't give a crap about any character, and the music/sound/fx were so loud I'd say 50% of the dialogue I couldn't understand. Everything else was good from the directing to the acting, but it lacked something. 

On 7/21/2017 at 5:15 AM, Mark Antony said:

Just home from Dunkirk.

Hide contents

Well, I did. :shrug: Give a damn about the characters, that is. I don't have to have spent 10 hours of screentime with a character to care if they live or die. The movie really had me on the edge of my seat scared if people were going to make it. Especially since I knew almost nothing about the real events going in, and how it eventually turned out.

Spoiler

I was afraid throughout that Tom Hardy's character was going to crash, because of running out of fuel. I was relieved he managed to land somewhere - but it still sucked big time for him, since he was taken prisoner of war.

BTW, I didn't know which actors were in the movie beforrehand (hadn't really checked any of the promo material) and it was fun recognizing so many of the actors, including some of the younger ones whose faces I recognized, apart from the character that could maybe be called the lead (and was the first billed), who I think is a newcomer. It was funny when I checked for reviews etc. about Dunkirk afterwards and saw all the talk about Harry Styles. I never realized that was him before I read the closing credits - I have about zero level of interest/knowledge in One Direction, but I did know about him as a celebrity - so his face was vaguely familiar during the film, but I had just assumed he was one of the many young British actors in the film that I had seen in something before, the way I also recognized another actor playing one of the soldiers because he played Odda the Younger in The Last Kingdom, but I didn't know his name. I was more interested to find out Aneurin Barnard was in it, since I had liked him in The White Queen.

15 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Well, I did. :shrug: Give a damn about the characters, that is. I don't have to have spent 10 hours of screentime with a character to care if they live or die..

I don't need ten hours of screen time either but I need something. There wasn't any characterization, development, or even personality to any of the main characters.

only person I even remember being named from the movie is that George kid and fuck I have to say looking back that I didn't enjoy that part much at all. Cillian Murphy killing him seemed so tacked on and unnecessary. Idk starting to think Nolan isn't for me 

I'm probably going to see Dunkirk today.

I saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets last night. Don't waste your money on it. It looks good, Cara Delevingne is alright as Laureline, there's a small handful of funny scenes, and the opening sequence on the origin of the "City of a Thousand Planets" station Alpha is neat, but everything else is bad in it.  The pacing is bad, it's all over the place, the character development feels really clunky and uneven, etc. 

It kind of reminded me of Jupiter Ascending, where it's got this neat visual world and some funny scenes, but the overall film sucks and the two leads have zero chemistry (except much more tedious to sit through). Dane DeHaan as Valerian is particularly strange in how bad he is - it's like Besson told him to do his best Late 1990s Keanu Reeves impression for the whole film, and it totally undermines any of the supposed sexual tension* between him and Laureline or any of the dramatic beats between them. 

Spoiler

He's supposed to be this big-time ladykiller and rake with a "playlist" of dozens or hundreds of women (including former partners), but this time he's got his eye on Laureline and he's Serious About Settling Down (he proposes to her early in the film, and is constantly reminding her about it). This is the type of role that  Chris Pine or his Poor Man's Equivalent could play in their sleep, but DeHaan completely bombs at it for the reason I said in my second paragraph, and it makes a lot of their interactions really awkward. I didn't buy it for a second. 

1 hour ago, Summer Bass said:

I'm probably going to see Dunkirk today.

I saw Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets last night. Don't waste your money on it. It looks good, Cara Delevingne is alright as Laureline, there's a small handful of funny scenes, and the opening sequence on the origin of the "City of a Thousand Planets" station Alpha is neat, but everything else is bad in it.  The pacing is bad, it's all over the place, the character development feels really clunky and uneven, etc. 

It kind of reminded me of Jupiter Ascending, where it's got this neat visual world and some funny scenes, but the overall film sucks and the two leads have zero chemistry (except much more tedious to sit through). Dane DeHaan as Valerian is particularly strange in how bad he is - it's like Besson told him to do his best Late 1990s Keanu Reeves impression for the whole film, and it totally undermines any of the supposed sexual tension* between him and Laureline or any of the dramatic beats between them. 

Reveal hidden contents

He's supposed to be this big-time ladykiller and rake with a "playlist" of dozens or hundreds of women (including former partners), but this time he's got his eye on Laureline and he's Serious About Settling Down (he proposes to her early in the film, and is constantly reminding her about it). This is the type of role that  Chris Pine or his Poor Man's Equivalent could play in their sleep, but DeHaan completely bombs at it for the reason I said in my second paragraph, and it makes a lot of their interactions really awkward. I didn't buy it for a second. 

Agree 100% - my wife and I walked out. I haven't walked out of a movie since Piranha 3D. The dialogue felt directly ripped from comic book panels -- wicked corny.

We also saw Jupiter Ascending which had the decency to be amusingly bad. Valerian was just bad, bad, bad.

On 20/7/2017 at 11:28 AM, Annara Snow said:

Weren't there just two Ragnars in TLK, father and son? I don't remember what other things people called the vikings, I thought everyone just called them Danes?

I like Alfred too. Smart guy, and a nice counterpart to Uthred, ~♧whi can be a bit of an idiot.

To be fair, the narrative of the episode wasn't difficult, it's just that I was slow picking up characters. And uthred is as lovable as a cardboard box, imho, so yeah, Alfred brings a lot to the story.  

I've been rewatching a couple of films I haven't seen for a few years. Edge of Tomorrow is still a great SF film, and watching Tom Cruise die in various incompetent ways never gets dull. I think I'm probably happier with the ending than I was before, I think paying close attention to some of the earlier exposition helps, there's maybe a bit too much of a gap in the film between some of the detailed explanation and the actual ending. Also watched Cloud Atlas, which I still think is a bold attempt to tackle a seemingly unfilmable novel that is mostly successful at producing an abbreviated version of the six storylines. I do think they went a bit far with trying to integrate the same actors in every plotline, it gets a bit distracting at times.

20 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Hide contents

only person I even remember being named from the movie is that George kid and fuck I have to say looking back that I didn't enjoy that part much at all. Cillian Murphy killing him seemed so tacked on and unnecessary. Idk starting to think Nolan isn't for me 

Spoiler

Yeah, the part with Cillian killing the boy was just odd and did seem totally unnecessary. :dunno:

Dunkirk was decent but I was kind of bored by the end. Glad it was only like 96 minutes tbh.

Now a few eps into S2 of Twin Peaks and it's a mixed bag. Some truly hilarious and truly outlandish moments. But also some dull parts which drag. I do feel fully immersed in the mythos of the show though and I'm glad we took the time to do this before watching the new series.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, the part with Cillian killing the boy was just odd and did seem totally unnecessary. :dunno:

Dunkirk was decent but I was kind of bored by the end. Glad it was only like 96 minutes tbh.

I was yawning throughout not gonna lie

Archived