Ramsay B.

Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

308 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2017 at 0:23 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Spot on analysis there in bold. I agree Pitt did a decent performance. Do you know the reporter who wrote the book this is based on died in a car "accident" at the age of 33? Conspiracy theorists think it was the general's retaliation for getting him essentially fired after the RS article was published. Google it. There is some interesting evidence out there to support the assassination theory.

I really liked this film.  Pitt was excellent.  It was also so depressing revisiting the idiocies of the time in which we literally sent trillions of dollars flying off in the wind to nowhere particularly in the Middle East because this country is just too stupid to play there.

Caught a double feature tonight of Dark Tower  & Valerian. I have to say, given the horrible reviews for these two films, I was pleasantly surprised by both. Dark Tower: I've never read the Stephen King books, but I have friends that have, so I went in knowing some basics about it. It felt like they were trying to cram in a lot into a 90min film. I remember Ron Howard was trying to get this thing going as a TV series that intersected with films a while back, and I can't help but fell if Howard and his production company would've just developed this as a 10 episode series with this same cast it would've been gold. But as a 90min film it's barely even bronze.

Valerian was a big surprise given the absolute ass reaming it's been getting on this board. I really enjoyed the rhythm of the film, and as I expected, it looked fucking fantastic in 3D. Granted, the dialogue was pretty terrible, the characters were cookie cutter (still scratching my head why Besson cast Dane DeHaan), and the plot was meh. However, Cara Delevigne was pretty damn charming as Laureline. And watching her and DeHaan take turns getting into and out of various intergalactic jams was entertaining. Oh, and Rihanna gives maybe the best dance routine in cinema history. Fuck you, Fosse!

On 8/11/2017 at 3:37 AM, red snow said:

I really need tp track down there will be blood. One of those films that escaped me at the time and never seems to be on tv.

What the what!?!? Go watch There Will Be Blood now. Like, this second now. Go!

Finally got around to watching the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.  Liked it a lot.  It wasn't quite as good as the first one, and some of the comedy felt a bit more forced, but all in all it was a fun, enjoyable film.  I love that films like this can actually be made and find an audience these days, because it's basically just nerd nonsense masked with humor.  I can't imagine this movie (or the original, obviously) being made ten years ago.  

Batista continues to fucking kill it as an actor, by the way.  Dude just steals scene after scene.

Watched Atomic blonde last night. My hope was it would be an enjoyable John Wick knock off with a female lead. It wasn't. I would say that it was a total failure in everything it was trying to achieve, unless its goal was to make a movie that looked a bit like an advert and make sure Theron looked great in every scene. 

The plot was basically incoherent and unengaging, the director seemed to feel so smugly pleased with himself that he's been able to insert lots of shots of Charlize Theron looking cool , smoking, that he forgot to insert a story. 

Worst of all the fighting was deeply mediocre. Poorly shot action scenes which reminded me of Iron Fist in the way they were clearly pretty slow, not especially well choreographed and shot in a way that was designed to disguise the lack of skill. That she also screamed with every punch and seemed to be using some moves from an 80's women's self defence class hardly made it exciting. 

Im amazed it stuck with it till the end , it was pretty awful on the whole.

Also worth mentioning Comrade Detective on amazon prime. Doubt anyone has heard of it, but it's a Channing Tatum project where they supposedly remastered a long lost Communist era Romanian cop show.Except they didn't, its new and they have voiced over it. I was quite excited to see it as I hoped it would be hilarious. So far it's fine but difficult to really understand what they were going for. The only jokes I've seen have been about how Romanian health care is the best in the world, or everyone watching chess on tv. It's really missed a trick I think

WTF did I keep watching The Mist?  Awful show that got so much worse.  Good thing I fast forwarded through most of it.  I googled for reviews and found some right wing website that claimed, just from the pilot, that it was obvious left wing propaganda.  Given how things developed, I have to wonder if the writers of the show aren't alt-right rabid puppies, maybe even Vox Day his rabid self.

Spoiler
  1. The hippie atheist character became a fanatic praising whatever evil is behind the mist, incites violence against sinners, sacrificing a priest to Mist and then burns down the church with all those locked inside who wouldn't follow her to the mall to seek sacrifices to the mist.
  2. The gay teen planted evidence of a rape that didn't happen on the star quarterback, the gay teen murders his own asshole dad and apparently shoots dead the guy he wanted to be his real family (the dad of his best friend (who he made think was raped by the guy she likes)).
  3. Black guy mall manager murders white woman for catching him hording food, then blames it on the not-raped teen.

I'm sure their going to find a transgender character next to portray as evil.

It's hard to believe this show is meant seriously as a show the producers intend to be a success, rather than something to troll liberals with for a season before it gets cancelled.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Got bored and watched Blood Father with Mel Gibson and the new King Arthur film.

Blood Father was pretty good had some fun moments, didn't overstay its welcome and Gibson carried the film on his performance. King Arthur on the other hand was just crap and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Lock Stock, Snatch and Rock'N'Rolla. Bad pacing, boring characters and turned into a ps3 game at the end.

The best bit was at the beginning and that's only cause the music was from that one good halo advert and so it brought back some nostalgia 

Just saw Annabelle Creation. Could've been better but man for the most part it was pretty crazy. If you like scary movies then go see it

Endeavour is so so good. We only have a few eps left now and I'm already sad that it will be finished soon. :(