What you're reading - June 2017

RedEyedGhost

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

I really enjoyed this book and think it worked extremely well for 2/3rds of the book. The book is always at its best when it's about a bunch of rock stars who just so happened to be mercenaries who don't play music. I got a lot of the jokes which others might not have by having seen "This is Spinal Tap" but the actual plot involving Lastleaf and saving Rosie didn't do anything for me. I also felt the Daeva bounty huntress was a flat character I wanted to see die horribly.

The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French (I bought my copy before he took him down to re-publish them).

A really excellent fantasy novel from the perspective of the half-orcs. Unfortunately, it kind of drenches itself in language of misogyny due to the fact the orcs can't really speak without throwing nasty slang throughout their vocabulary, much of which has to do with women or harlots. Still, there's some genuine surprises spread through the novel.

Finished Jack Reacher #4.  Big improvement over #3.  It was a very quick read, abetted by some insomnia last night, and easy to guess the mystery very early on, but well executed all the same.  It recovered well from an unfortunate dip in #3.

Now reading some humorous contemp lit (possibly chick lit) that I selected from Kindle First some recent month.  Not a typical pick for me but so far it's funny, snappy, not at all obsessed with moody do-gooders -- a good change-up so far.  

Godblind was fairly disappointing.  The old gods trying to break through the veil thing was interesting but otherwise it was pretty generic dark fantasy. 

I am now reading Raven Stratagem.  Ninefox Gambit was awesome so I have high hopes.

Started The Assassin's Apprentice. It's been on my list for ages, moved it to the top since I decided it was time to make my Authors Read list less of a boy's club. Really enjoying it so far. 

26 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I haven't read The Lord of the Rings since high school so I thought a re-read was in order. Started The Two Towers recently. Is it heresy to read the chapters of books 3 and 4 alternatively?

Anything is fair game for rereads.  For The Two Towers, I don't see anything wrong with reading both books concurrently.

Just started second Themis Files book (update:yesterday). I can't stop reading. 

And...finished reading it today. 

Summary: This was not the book for me. Gripping, well crafted, but the author's misanthropy is so deep, that you feel he's actually rooting for the majority of the human race to die and the rest to suffer in starvation and illness. It's weird to hate a book this much when it's engaging and a good read. It's just the content of the story I loathed.

It will probably win a lot of awards.

Martin Meredith's, Diamonds Gold and War: The British, the Boers, and the Making of South Africa, was an interesting read.  I'll have to read Thomas Pakenham's, The Boer War, for more detail on that conflict.

On 6/10/2017 at 5:44 AM, First of My Name said:

Reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. The setting kind of reminds me of Blade Runner and the Acts of Caine books. Stephenson's style is sort of long-winded but engaging. I think I'll like this one, even if it'll take me some to finish it.

This and Diamond Age are my favorites by him. Don't be disappointed that the ending doesn't happen. Stephenson doesn't know how to finish stories.

Ugh, I have no motivation to finish this book. It's not bad, I just don't look forward to reading it so progress is slow. I guess I could DNF, but I hate to do that with the last book in a trilogy.

*stares down Wishsong*

I will defeat you!

1 hour ago, brunhilda said:

This and Diamond Age are my favorites by him. Don't be disappointed that the ending doesn't happen. Stephenson doesn't know how to finish stories.

Shame, but thanks for the heads-up :P I'd heard that about Seveneves but not Snow Crash.

This week, I finished City of Blades, Hawkwood's Voyage and Shadow in Summer.

City of Blades was extremely bleak, but very good. I hope that City of Miracles is a satisfying conclusion.

Shadow in Summer was great. Abraham's prose here is much more ornate than his writing in Dagger and Coin. I'm a little surprised that many people felt this was a lackluster start to the series. Since I already read Dagger and Coin, I might be used to Abraham's slow pacing.

Hawkwood's Voyage was a complicated book for me. I love the idea of a fantasy novel based around the era of European exploration. That being said, the prose felt too simplistic for my tastes. Regardless of my complaints, I am still going to continue the Monarchies of God series.

20 minutes ago, Cithrin's Ale said:

Shadow in Summer was great. Abraham's prose here is much more ornate than his writing in Dagger and Coin. I'm a little surprised that many people felt this was a lackluster start to the series. Since I already read Dagger and Coin, I might be used to Abraham's slow pacing.

Tons of people feel that the

Galt's plan was overly complicated, and can't get over the "why didn't they just hire somebody to cause a fatal accident to Heshai?"  To the point that they cannot enjoy the rest of the story.

I read two recent Kindle First books for a change-up.  

Crimes Against A Book Club was a humorous chick-lit novel about two Harvard grads, a lawyer and PhD chemist, with successful careers and happy marriages, who decide their desire for expensive elective health care (no-one is in any medical danger) means they should drug elderly rich women with cocaine (via fraudulent face cream) without their knowledge to induce addiction for profitable repeat sales.  Funnily written, if more than a little negative about women's relationships with each other, but it's really hard to feel the author's sympathy for these hyper-entitled characters.  The cocaine-induced self-confidence of the victims is supposed to make this a happy ending.  It's kind of like Breaking Bad retold with sunshine, puppies, unicorns and lots and lots of Botox.

Soho Dead is a noir detective novel set in Soho (London), obviously enough.  I think this is the best Kindle First novel yet for me, in over two years.  It's similar in style and tone to Rowling/Galbraith's Cormoran Strike novels, but with less emo angst and less worshipping of the main character.  Worth a read.   

11 hours ago, Starkess said:

Ugh, I have no motivation to finish this book. It's not bad, I just don't look forward to reading it so progress is slow. I guess I could DNF, but I hate to do that with the last book in a trilogy.

*stares down Wishsong*

I will defeat you!

Even as a kid I hated wishsong.

Archived