Who tells dany about aegon

Being known in Westeros doesn't mean being accepted.  And if it should become known that he's a B/F?  Many would have issues with that.  In any case, news of Aegon will soon reach the Bay of Dragons and the Dothraki Sea.  The biggest question in everyone's mind is whether he is truly who he claims to be.

Well, how about Illyrio Mopatis? Varys? It seems like the closer Tyrion gets to Daenerys, the further away he gets. And does Tyrion really "know" about Young Griff/Aegon? Does he believe the Illyrio story that "baby Aegon" was a fake and the real infant had been smuggled out? Or might Tyrion suspect Young Griff is actually a Blackfyre cuckoo's egg? Is there some way Tyrion could come to KNOW, for sure, and thus have something meaningful to say?

Illyrio and Varys would likely have the actual story - but also more motive to lie, if it furthers their plans.

The way things are going, Dany will learn of "Aegon" in the usual way - sailors' talk in the wine sinks about what's going on in Westeros.

5 minutes ago, Bowen Marsh said:

Many would have issues with that.  In any case, news of Aegon will soon reach the Bay of Dragons and the Dothraki Sea.  

I wonder about this. News in Meereen is traveling to Westeros but news doesn't seem to be going the opposite direction. Maybe I'm forgetting so if I am let me know but Dany seems to have no clue what's going on with Westeros. I feel like the last news she acknowledged was Ned & Robert dying. Stannis, Renly, Red & Purple Weddings, Iron Islands - does she know about any of this? News of Westeros seemingly not getting to her make me think she won't know about Aegon unless Tyrion tells her (which I think he will, though not immediately) until she gets closer to Westeros, probably Pentos.

11 minutes ago, zandru said:

Well, how about Illyrio Mopatis? Varys? It seems like the closer Tyrion gets to Daenerys, the further away he gets. And does Tyrion really "know" about Young Griff/Aegon? Does he believe the Illyrio story that "baby Aegon" was a fake and the real infant had been smuggled out? Or might Tyrion suspect Young Griff is actually a Blackfyre cuckoo's egg? Is there some way Tyrion could come to KNOW, for sure, and thus have something meaningful to say?

Illyrio and Varys would likely have the actual story - but also more motive to lie, if it furthers their plans.

The way things are going, Dany will learn of "Aegon" in the usual way - sailors' talk in the wine sinks about what's going on in Westeros.

I don't it matters whether Tyrion believes Aegon to be the real thing. That's really not important. Whats important is that another "Targaryen" is making a claim. And Tyrion knows that.

14 hours ago, Bowen Marsh said:

Being known in Westeros doesn't mean being accepted.  And if it should become known that he's a B/F?  Many would have issues with that.  In any case, news of Aegon will soon reach the Bay of Dragons and the Dothraki Sea.  The biggest question in everyone's mind is whether he is truly who he claims to be.

I'm actually well versed on several of Aegon's potential parents and like the Blackfyre theory the most. And I've noticed that his parentage is a hot topic. That's why I asked a different question to hear some new opinions. You just can't change with the times can you Bowen Marsh.  

14 hours ago, zandru said:

What would Illyrio or Varys say? "He didn't want to look a beggar so he turned his ships and invaded you homeland before telling u a thing"  all sarcasm aside it would be a difficult conversation for Illyrio and dany actually has a reason to mistrust that perfumed seneschal Varys 

Im good with a rumor from sea making it to her though for sure 

17 hours ago, Maxxine said:

I don't it matters whether Tyrion believes Aegon to be the real thing. That's really not important. Whats important is that another "Targaryen" is making a claim. And Tyrion knows that.

Perhaps - but I suspect that if Daenerys were told Hey, there's this young dude with an army who's conquering Westeros and he claims to be your brother Rhaegar's son "Aegon", she would be extremely interested in knowing whether or not this was true. If it were, and her brother Rhaegar had not been disinherited, then his oldest son Aegon would be the rightful King on the Iron Throne. Maybe she'd just want to help him, then. But if this "Aegon" was some total pretender, then no.

Either way, it's important.

2 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

that perfumed seneschal Varys 

Maybe it's Varys. Maybe it's Reznak mo Reznak. Or maybe the "perfumed seneschal" is the Selaesori Qhoran ("Stinky Steward", per Tyrion) which carried Tyrion and Jorah towards Meereen, along with red priest Moqorro.

19 hours ago, zandru said:

Tyrion believes Aegon to be the son of Rhaegar and Elia. Furthermore, Tyrion likes Aegon and wishes him well. The interesting thing is that Tyrion has heard the story of Aegon as told by Haldon and finds it credible. The idea of Aegon and Tyrion actually being Targaryens whips some of the fandom into a furious frenzy. I have never really gotten why these ideas make people so mad.

ETA: Tyrion will definitely tell Dany about Aegon soon after meeting her. He will be the first unless someone out of left field tells her before that.

On June 2, 2017 at 3:11 PM, zandru said:

Perhaps - but I suspect that if Daenerys were told Hey, there's this young dude with an army who's conquering Westeros and he claims to be your brother Rhaegar's son "Aegon", she would be extremely interested in knowing whether or not this was true. If it were, and her brother Rhaegar had not been disinherited, then his oldest son Aegon would be the rightful King on the Iron Throne. Maybe she'd just want to help him, then. But if this "Aegon" was some total pretender, then no.

Either way, it's important.

Maybe it's Varys. Maybe it's Reznak mo Reznak. Or maybe the "perfumed seneschal" is the Selaesori Qhoran ("Stinky Steward", per Tyrion) which carried Tyrion and Jorah towards Meereen, along with red priest Moqorro.

Just joking really I meant in her mind she will probably be wary of Varys via Quaithe. (Unless a different perfumed seneschal screws her over 1st)

Also that's actually cool about Tyrion's literal translation into "stinky steward" I'm pretty sure he's not good enough to translate such minor words. Maybe he actually has it wrong idk. 

12 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Just joking really I meant in her mind she will probably be wary of Varys via Quaithe. (Unless a different perfumed seneschal screws her over 1st)

Also that's actually cool about Tyrion's literal translation into "stinky steward" I'm pretty sure he's not good enough to translate such minor words. Maybe he actually has it wrong idk. 

I think the Perfumed Senechal is the cog indeed -

[...] Tell me, was Selaesori Qhoran a triarch or a turtle?"
The red priest chuckled. "Neither. Qhoran is … not a ruler, but one who serves and counsels such, and helps conduct his business. You of Westeros might say steward or magister."
King's Hand? That amused him. "And selaesori?"
Moqorro touched his nose. "Imbued with a pleasant aroma. Fragrant, would you say? Flowery?"
"So Selaesori Qhoran means Stinky Steward, more or less?"
"Fragrant Steward, rather." (aDwD, Tyrion VIII)

Or Perfumed Senechal ;)
It can't be Varys as Varys is in Westeros and not on his way to Dany. Quaithe warns about those on their way to her, though two never arrive at Mereen and only went as far as Volantis - Aegon and JonCon.

Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

• Pale Mare, check.
  • Kraken, Victarion Greyjoy, check
  • Dark Flame, Moqorro, check
  • Lion, Tyrion, check
  • Griffin, JonCon, check, was on his way, turned west
  • The sun's son, Quentyn, check
  • The mummer's dragon, Aegon, check
  • Perfumed Seneschal, Selaesori-Qhoran, check, several of its members intent on going to Mereen arrived

Illyrio is not on his way to Mereen. The others have all been disclosed before the end of the book, and except for Griffin and Aegon who turned away, the rest has all arrived at Mereen by the end of the book.

Dany thinks it's a person and starts sniffing Reznak. This is imo to make us look erronously for a person, especially since the others mentioned before are people. But the Perfumed Seneschal is set apart from that list, exactly because it isn't a person.

Does it matter?  Aegon will have to prove his identity.  First to the Martells.  I don't think Doran would support a Blackfyre.  He wants his nephew on the iron throne.  But Arianne might fall in love with Aegon (because he has the Targ good looks!) and lie to Doran.  She might learn the truth but tell dad that he is the real deal.  Second, he will have to prove it to the people of Westeros.  Possession of Blackfyre is a start.  Third, to Daenerys.  We really don't know if he is Aegon Targaryen or Aegon Blackfyre.  I think it is probably 50/50 at this point.  Somebody will be disappointed, either the Martells or the Golden Company.  He can't be both.  I doubt Dany will have a problem with Aegon if one of the dragons accept him and he proves himself tractable.  She is an agent of change and if he is willing to cooperate they could become strong allies.

1 hour ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Somebody will be disappointed, either the Martells or the Golden Company. 

The Golden Company already thinks he's Aegon Targaryen, and don't care about that. They're happy to follow him home anyway.

Archived