Who tells dany about aegon

On June 5, 2017 at 10:33 PM, sweetsunray said:

He was put to writing about dragons on the Shy Maid quite early on. He mentioned he could help serve Dany with that.

Not convinced, and less now that it's clear that Quaithe's warning are always about those who covet dragons and would seek her out for the dragons. It's not set apart because the Perfumed Seneschal doesn't covet them. If Quaithe was warning Dany simply about anyone who might betray her, then she'd have warned for the Harpy too, or Yunkai, because those too are a danger to her and her dragons... except they want the dragons dead, not use their power for themselves.

You're thinking Quaithe warns about the prophecy in the HotU... but the Undying were people who wanted to devour her for power. "Remember the Undying" points to the actual Undying who lured her in and wanted to eat her, not the prophecy.

Does Quaithe even know the visions and prophecy that Dany had there (don't recall). I do know though that there's no Perfumed Seneschal, or Illyrio in it. There's only the mummer's dragon.

If she cannot see in the future, but gathers her warnings because she sees Quantyn insist to his fellow men that they still must get to Mereen and not turn back, because Dorne needs dragons; sees Tyrion mention how he knows stuff about dragons and Jon Con ordering hmi to write it down, and whatever Aegon says about "oooh dragons"; Moqorro watching the fires and saying "the Selaeris Qhoran is the only ship to get me to Mereen" together with "something something dragons", and then Victarion discussing the dragonhorn and how he's gonna get himself a dragon, then it absolute makes sense for her to warn about the ship the Perfumed Seneschal, because she doesn't know that the Perfumed Seneschal will not arrive itself at Mereen either, only its passengers.

George included mistakes and flaws in it for a reason - it shows us that Quaithe's knowledge through the Glass Candles is limited to the present. She can't actually see the future, nor can she read minds. 

That's some good stuff sunray seriously. Some of the most logical things I've seen regarding Quaithe and glass candles as well 

On 6/6/2017 at 7:34 PM, HoodedCrow said:

Hmm, I am curious and don't recall. It wouldn't be too far fetched, if you were Illyrio, to name a  ship "Perfumed Senechal". In that way, the warning could be about Illyrio without actually having him move from his current location. He does have his bejeweled fingers in a lot of places. It could be one of the solutions to the Meerenese Knot.

Interesting idea, but "Qhoran" is the lingo for Senechal apparently. While all the Free Cities speak some bastard Valyrian, they also do have differences, and Qhoran just doesn't sound like something for Pentos. It does fit way better for Qarth.

Moqorro and Tyrion speak in terms of stewards and magisters.... Those are either Westerosi (steward) or Valyrian  Freehold (magister) concepts. And I doubt a Pentosi would name a ship after the more oriental seneschal.

Of course, Quaithe is the oriental one, and she'd use seneschal, just like Tyrion would use steward or castellan, regardless the original language for the name. But Qhoran seems so unvalyrian a word, nor is it something of the language of Ghis. I think it's actually a Qartheen word, and thus a Qharteen ship.

And then it makes even more sense that Quaithe would mention it. People from a harbor tend to know the ships that often lie at anchor there, certainly when native, and will refer to it without much thought, not even realizing that it might be mistaken for something else or for an actual person. Sort of like people of Britain referring to the queen elizabeth (no capitals). They're not actually talking about a queen, but a ship, and if a foreigner were to interprete it as them talking about an actual queen, they'd be surprised. It also fits the wording. You can't really say "don't trust that ship". A ship is a thing. It doesn't have a mind, or a will. Trust doesn't come into it. But you can use "beware" in relation to things - ships, mountain paths, buildings, an inn, a crossing.

On June 1, 2017 at 5:49 PM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

It would seem Tyrion would be a logical answer but I really don't know seems like something he could use later and with him being in his current predicament it will be... Tough to say the least 

I think Tyrion might prep her for a future family member being alive, but I think she will find out exactly who in person once she arrives to her chair in King's Landing. Drogon will confirm it :D

On 6/8/2017 at 10:47 AM, sweetsunray said:

Interesting idea, but "Qhoran" is the lingo for Senechal apparently.

Or magister.

The red priest chuckled. "Neither. Qhoran is … not a ruler, but one who serves and counsels such, and helps conduct his business. You of Westeros might say steward or magister."

On 6/8/2017 at 10:47 AM, sweetsunray said:

You can't really say "don't trust that ship". A ship is a thing. It doesn't have a mind, or a will. Trust doesn't come into it. But you can use "beware" in relation to things - ships, mountain paths, buildings, an inn, a crossing.

True, but saying 'beware' can be applied to a person as well. 

7 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Or magister.

True, but saying 'beware' can be applied to a person as well. 

Magister does not seem to be an actual political position in Qarth. If Qhoran is a Qartheen word, then it cannot actaully literally mean 'magister'.

Yes, it can be used with a person too. But since you can't say "Don't trust the ship called Perfumed Seneschal", then the separate mention of the perfumed seneschal is caused by vocabulary conventions. 

On June 10, 2017 at 4:47 AM, sweetsunray said:

Magister does not seem to be an actual political position in Qarth. If Qhoran is a Qartheen word, then it cannot actaully literally mean 'magister'.

Yes, it can be used with a person too. But since you can't say "Don't trust the ship called Perfumed Seneschal", then the separate mention of the perfumed seneschal is caused by vocabulary conventions. 

I'm on board (no pun intended) @sweetsunray even if it's not the ship, then u make a great case. 

On 6/10/2017 at 2:47 AM, sweetsunray said:

Or because the others were on their way to Mereen but Illyrio is not. 

On 6/10/2017 at 2:47 AM, sweetsunray said:

But since you can't say "Don't trust the ship called Perfumed Seneschal", then the separate mention of the perfumed seneschal is caused by vocabulary conventions. 

Sorry for the multiple posts.

Quaithe does say 'Soon comes the pale mare' before the people. So I don't think Quaithe is working with any set of vocabulary conventions regarding people v. things.

GRRM said Tyrion and Dany will intersect eventually, but I imagine that she'll hear about Aegon before then. Illyrio's a good theory, and I've seen people theorize in the past that even Varys could interact with Dany at some point. I'm not sure she'll believe what she hears about Aegon at first, but once it's been confirmed to her--especially if Aegon has already taken another woman as his queen--I can only imagine her rage. (Which kind of parallels Rhaenyra hearing about Aegon II declaring himself king).

1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Quaithe does say 'Soon comes the pale mare' before the people. So I don't think Quaithe is working with any set of vocabulary conventions regarding people v. things.

Well "soon comes the pale mare" is grammatically correct for a disease.

On June 12, 2017 at 11:00 AM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I've been enjoying this for like a week lol no apology needed at all. You're making great points very nice. 

Archived