U.S. Politics: Despite Negative Press Covfefe, We Will Always Have Paris

Before we dig in, let's take a moment to reflect on the bounty that this thread will bring us in its ~2-week lifespan. What scandals, what memes, what outrageous decisions by the shitgoblin will we witness before the thread is over? Who will we be as persons, as a people, once we emerge on the other side?

We thank you. Let the embarrassments begin.

4 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Before we dig in, let's take a moment to reflect on the bounty that this thread will bring us in its ~2-week lifespan. What scandals, what memes, what outrageous decisions by the shitgoblin will we witness before the thread is over? Who will we be as persons, as a people, once we emerge on the other side?

Ask not what covfefe can do for you, ask what you can do for covfefe...

49 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

I appreciate the sentiment, but I believe you overestimate the lifespan of these threads. The last was like 5 days. One before that, maybe 4. 

Ok, people, I know its Friday, but you are falling down on the job.

First up, a downright sane (or bizarre) admission from Trumps EPA chief:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/us-environmental-agency-chief-says-humans-contribute-to-global-warming/ar-BBBPWmm?ocid=ob-fb-enus-611

The head of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Scott Pruitt, said on Friday he believes human activity plays a role in global warming, but measuring that contribution with precision is difficult.

Speaking to reporters at the White House a day after President Donald Trump said he would withdraw the United States from the Paris climate accord, Pruitt declined to directly answer questions about whether the president still believed global warming was a hoax, as he had said during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Pruitt said he had indicated that global warming is occurring, and that "human activity contributes to it in some manner. Measuring with precision, from my perspective, the degree of human contribution is very challenging."

Next, Single Payer Comes to California:  (most of the comments are negative)

My take is they'd better cut actual medical costs in a hurry or this will be a major fiasco.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/single-payer-health-care-bill-passes-california-senate-heads-to-assembly/ar-BBBNFtd?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

SACRAMENTO — California lawmakers approved a $400 billion-a-year program Thursday that would completely overhaul how Californians receive their health coverage by creating a single government-run, universal-care system for everyone in the state.

The state Senate approved the bill to create the Healthy California system 23-14, despite many lawmakers acknowledging that significant details remain unanswered, including how the state would pay for and provide care for its 39 million-plus residents. A legislative analysis of the bill warned that the $400 billion-a-year cost estimates “are subject to enormous uncertainty.”

SB562, by Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens (Los Angeles County), now heads to the Assembly, where it’s expected to face tough opposition. A legislative analysis said that about $200 billion could be raised from a new 15 percent payroll tax, which would require a two-thirds vote from both houses. The other $200 billion could come from existing federal, state and local spending on health care. But the federal government would have to approve any changes to Medicaid funds for the program.

For those of you expressing confusion about Trump pulling out of the Climate agreement - its very simple - Trump subscribes to a 19th century worldview - other nations are not partners, but rivals.  'America comes first.'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-cements-america-first-doctrine-with-paris-withdrawal/ar-BBBOlVA?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

"As president, I can put no other consideration before the well-being of the American citizens," Trump said. "The Paris climate accord is an example of Washington entering into an agreement that disadvantages the United States to the exclusive benefit of other countries, leaving American workers, who I love, and taxpayers to absorb the cost in terms of lost jobs, lower wages, shut factories and vastly diminished economic production."

Trump's commitment to an "America First" policy has colored everything from his "Make America Great Again" campaign slogan to his decision to hitch his wagon to chief strategist Stephen Bannon, a self-described "economic nationalist" who once helmed the right-wing populist website Breitbart.

During his first week in office, Trump signed an executive order pulling the U.S. out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the 12-country trade deal Obama had signed less than one year earlier.

Trump has continually talked tough toward U.S. allies in NATO, which he at one point called "obsolete." In the White House and at meetings abroad, Trump has pressured foreign leaders to contribute more of their own money to the alliance.

And just who is holding up the Russia Investigation?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-dems-pause-russia-probe-interviews-report/ar-BBBP3tK?ocid=ob-fb-enus-611

U.S. Border Social Media Screening Now in Effect

http://fortune.com/2017/06/01/u-s-border-social-media/

he Trump Administration, which vowed to implement "extreme vetting" at the borders, has implemented part of a controversial plan requiring some U.S. visa applicants to disclose their social media history before entering the country.

The plan, which requires applicants to disclose user names for social media platforms they've used in the past five years, was approved by the Office of Management and Budget on May 23 and is now in effect.

A State Department officials told Reuters, which first reported the news, that border agents will ask for the social media details, along with other background information, in the event "such information is required to confirm identity or conduct more rigorous national security vetting." According to the new form, the failure to answer the questions will not necessarily bar applicants from admission to the United States.

Is Prezzie Orange Shit Thingy's Great America left out in the cold heat?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/trumps-tangle-with-europe-leads-the-continent-to-find-partners-elsewhere/2017/06/02/429b1c0c-4599-11e7-8de1-cec59a9bf4b1_story.html

Trump’s tangle with Europe leads the continent to find partners elsewhere

By Michael Birnbaum 

BRUSSELS — A day after President Trump pulled out of a key climate agreement, declaring he was fighting for “Pittsburgh, not Paris,” an international realignment was already taking shape on Friday, as European and Chinese officials signed a raft of agreements to bind themselves tightly together.

The pullout left the United States a global outlier and, many European leaders and experts said, a severely diminished force in the world. And it gave China fresh weight in a newly unbalanced landscape where longtime U.S. allies are searching for stability.

Friday’s landmark moves came after German Chancellor Angela Merkel declared this week that Europe must stand on its own, and after she had a warm Berlin tete-a-tete this week with Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India, an up-and-coming rival to U.S. global power.

“Today China and Europe have demonstrated solidarity with future generations and responsibility for the whole planet. We are convinced that yesterday’s decision by the United States to leave the Paris agreement is a big mistake,” European Council President Donald Tusk said Friday after meeting with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang. But, he said, “strong transatlantic ties are far more important and far more durable than the latest unfortunate decisions of the U.S. administration.”

From the previous thread:

@Rippounet

Not in the short-term. But as strong as the US is, it still needs a modicum of goodwill from other nations from time to time. And this gets much harder when the public opinion in other countries is turning viscerally anti-American.
For example, when W. invaded Iraq in 2003, France did not participate because with 82% of the population opposed to it, it was difficult for the government to follow the US on that little adventure (and boy, did we pay the price for that!).
Obama had undone a lot of the harm done to the US's image under W. I'm not sure any president will manage to undo the damage wrought under Trump. And next time, I don't think it's going to be just France that doesn't get on board... Were the US to attack North Korea or Iran tomorrow, I'm not convinced Europe would follow meekly.

But would this be a bad thing? To take your example, if in 2003 not just France, but every other country told the US that if it wants to invade Iraq, it can go it alone and as a result the US did not do it, would the world necessarily be a worse place? In fact, none of the multinational Western interventions of the 21s century (Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, etc.) have thus far have on the whole been beneficial to either the citizens of the invaded region or those of the invading countries (although certain entities such as Halliburton and Blackwater have certainly benefited).

Of course, if Europe decided to sever all relations with the US altogether, that would be a bad thing, but it's not going to do that because the vast majority of these are mutually beneficial. It's only the military adventures that are dubious and there aren't that many people who want them (even in the US).

38 minutes ago, Altherion said:

From the previous thread:

@Rippounet

But would this be a bad thing? To take your example, if in 2003 not just France, but every other country told the US that if it wants to invade Iraq, it can go it alone and as a result the US did not do it, would the world necessarily be a worse place? In fact, none of the multinational Western interventions of the 21s century (Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, etc.) have thus far have on the whole been beneficial to either the citizens of the invaded region or those of the invading countries (although certain entities such as Halliburton and Blackwater have certainly benefited).

Of course, if Europe decided to sever all relations with the US altogether, that would be a bad thing, but it's not going to do that because the vast majority of these are mutually beneficial. It's only the military adventures that are dubious and there aren't that many people who want them (even in the US).

I don't think relations will be dramatically severed at all. Politics is full of drama queens who say one thing then do the other the next day.  At the end of the day North America and Europe share a lot more in common with one another than China. China's long term position on many issues will get in the way of any long term non-economic alliance.

As far as interventions are concerned, that is something that has existed for ages in many different forms. France and the U.K. Intervened in Egypt in the 50's to safeguard their interests in the Suez Canal. Russia intervened in Syria and Ukraine for its own interests, Iran intervenes in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon by supporting certain factions for its own benefit. 

The Friday surprise isn't quite as exciting, but it is juicy. Word is that Trump is a cuckservative in deed too, as melania has been having an affair with the chief of security. 

42 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The Friday surprise isn't quite as exciting, but it is juicy. Word is that Trump is a cuckservative in deed too, as melania has been having an affair with the chief of security. 

Meh. I suppose if this genuinely embarrassed or unhinged him, I could get excited about it. I don't think this guy really gives two shits about Melania or even his family really.  

18 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Until I saw the text of the speech I was wondering what Trump had against Paris, Tx.

That line from Trump really invokes the "Freedom Fries" B. S in the lead up to the Iraq invasion. Considering how Trump was so against the War :rolleyes: so sad that he is invoking it.

Good article here: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/01/why-trump-actually-pulled-out-of-paris-215218

27 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

That bit about Melania feels gross. I don't care what she does in their marriage, it's their business, but more specifically, not mine.

If the reason that it is costing taxpayers about 500k a day is because of an affair it becomes public business. 

Archived