U.S. Politics: Despite Negative Press Covfefe, We Will Always Have Paris

46 minutes ago, commiedore said:

too bad he's a teetotaler; we could be one big-game hunt with the boys away from lasting peace and stability in the realm

eta: not entirely sure who fits the bill for the subsequent public beheading, but i'm really not that picky

The best candidate would be the apparently honest man who came back from retirement to inestigate the current political scandal... so, Mueller would be executed.

11 minutes ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

The best candidate would be the apparently honest man who came back from retirement to inestigate the current political scandal... so, Mueller would be executed.

Mmm, I think Mueller gets the Jon Arryn role, doncha think? So he gets poisoned by his wife. 

I'm going to nominate either Mark Burnett or Tom Brady for the Ned Stark part.

Has Jill Stein given a take on the Paris abortion that anyone's seen?    When the news first broke, one of my first reactions was fury all over again at Stein for pushing so hard against Clinton (being as how environmentalism was a kind of a massive Green Party priority), and disgust at the left's propensity for third-party, protest votes, and abstention when the main candidate is less than perfect.  Without Stein voters, Clinton would have won at least two of the three surprise states.  It seems like this would be a good opportunity for the left to try to convince other lefties to stop expecting perfection in our candidates, and get real about third party, protest and abstention votes.

OMG I'm dying! Trump supporters have invented a meaning for covfefe! No, he didn't fall asleep at the wheel, it's Arabic for 'I stand up.'

So glorious! "Despite the constant negative press, I stand up'! Take that you left wing bastards!'

Trump supporters are the bestest aren't they?

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

"Despite the constant negative press, I stand up'!

What about that golf cart he needed to get around in while on his trip?  He can stand up but not walk?   Weak.

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:
34 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trump supporters are the bestest aren't they?

Well yes --- at making shit up.

And believing three impossible things before breakfast, and about four after.

3 hours ago, butterbumps! said:

Has Jill Stein given a take on the Paris abortion that anyone's seen?    When the news first broke, one of my first reactions was fury all over again at Stein for pushing so hard against Clinton (being as how environmentalism was a kind of a massive Green Party priority), and disgust at the left's propensity for third-party, protest votes, and abstention when the main candidate is less than perfect.  Without Stein voters, Clinton would have won at least two of the three surprise states.  It seems like this would be a good opportunity for the left to try to convince other lefties to stop expecting perfection in our candidates, and get real about third party, protest and abstention votes.

Let's not assume that every Stein voter would automatically become a Clinton voter if Stein did not run. Yes, some of them would have voted for Clinton, but some of them would have voted for other third party candidates like Johnson, or even for Trump. Most, I suspect, would've stayed at home or cast a blank balot - after all, there is a reason why they did not vote for Clinton in the first place.

A greater number of viable candidates representing a wide range of beliefs and positions is a good thing for democracy, not a bad one. The Democratic candidate is not automatically "owed" the votes from all left-leaning voters, they have to earn them.

Just  to be clear, this is not a defense of Stein - she was a horrible candidate.

So maybe this observation was made in the last thread, maybe not (sorry I didn't check):

If someone on the right is looking for ur-narratives here, they have two amazing talking points: (a) the market provides and (b) federalism works. 

(A) There was a private response (e.g., Bloomberg, Musk, Disney, etc) to pulling out of Paris, including through provision of private monies. That, were you to subscribe to the theory, proves the point that big government doesn't have to do things. If the market wants them it will provide, just not at public expense. (For the record, spare me the reasons why this is wrong in fact - I know them - just constructing the narrative here). 

(B ) states can and do choose to spend their money on different things. Look California passes single payer - great, no one else has to pay for it and Californians can either stay and benefit/pay high taxes to support or leave. (And there will be a dogwhistly strain of "all the poors will move to California and all the businesses will leave"). 

Lol. 

For fun -- from the home of master classes in constructing fake news, alt facts and science doesn't mean what science means.  

Culture wars in Russia over a film that depicts the last tsar's love affair with a ballerina, which the orthodox church do right Russians such as Putin insist never happened (and that a bust of Nicholas wept myrrah on the 100th anniversary of the take down of the tsar -- the one seriously propagating that btw, is the russian attorney who built that phony case that the Crimea r all belong to russia!  So this film and Russia's artists are screaming censorship, and well, we know the rest.

By the way, the brilliant history of the Russian czars, The Romanovs: 1613-1918 by Simon Sebag Montefiore, provides a nicely detailed account of the long and loving relationship between the last czar and the ballerina, who died at 99 in Paris.

Then Josh Marshall's second-by-second analysis of the two t***pitler's humiliations by Macron, on twitter -- my personal person follows this twitter stuff religiously -- that's how I know because I can't stand twits or twitter, but that's another story.  

The first part is here.

The second part, here.

Marshal is squarely in the camp that this is why t***pitler sledgehammered US membership in the Paris Accords.  But then, t***pitler has sneered at the science of climate change and global warming for years . . . .

But! in any case:

1) never challenge a French politico / ruling class person to a duel that involves manners, etiquette, politesse, social ceremony, diplomacy -- they invented all of it (with the help of the Italians such as the Medicis) and have been on top of that game since at least the 11th century.  They literally kill with courtesy.  Whereas, as we know, t***pitler, only lumbers out brute force -- rather like Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev making himself the world's laughing stock when he pounded his shoe on the desk at the UN.

2) Macron, then, more than anyone, not only intellectually, but intuitively grasps t***pitler's psych profile, which above all cannot stand being out dominated, and even more cannot handle being laughed at.  He's got only two settings, preening dominance and angry sulking determination to further brutalize to make it alllllllll better. Thus the pull-out of the Paris Accords.

Also, one might think his methodical attack to disappear from history everything that has Obama's name on it -- due to that White House Correspondents' Association Dinner of 2011, after t***pitler's years supposedly proving that the President wasn't a citizen of the US. Youtube of that here. At that same link are videos of  t***pitler's reactions.

Over and out, ha! :cheers:

14 hours ago, House Balstroko said:

I don't think relations will be dramatically severed at all. Politics is full of drama queens who say one thing then do the other the next day.  At the end of the day North America and Europe share a lot more in common with one another than China. China's long term position on many issues will get in the way of any long term non-economic alliance.

As far as interventions are concerned, that is something that has existed for ages in many different forms. France and the U.K. Intervened in Egypt in the 50's to safeguard their interests in the Suez Canal. Russia intervened in Syria and Ukraine for its own interests, Iran intervenes in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon by supporting certain factions for its own benefit. 

Uh, do you know how the U.S. (and everyone else) reacted to French/British 'intervention' in Egypt in the 50's re: Suez? Unintentionally awesome example to cite in defense of 'interventionism'(Eisenhower made no bones about calling it colonialism) and exceptionalism. If the US had thereafter walked it's own talk the ME would be a much better place today.

I have been doing some reading about climate change and was surprised, a bit, to find out that yes indeed, COWS are the second biggest producers of greenhouse gases in the world. I always knew they were way up on the list, I knew they weren't first as someone once declared (Reagan, wasn't it?) but I thought they were lower down.

Anyway, since Trump has backed out of the Paris accord I wonder if the future will see soft form of carbon tax put on US dairy farmers in the future. That should make Wisconsin happy.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/in-an-unprecedented-court-escalation-trump-protesters-could-be-facing-decades-in-prison-for-inauguration-demonstrations/

Cool, cool.  Totally normal.  

Nearly six months after Donald Trump was sworn into office, more than 200 protesters who gathered in Washington, D.C. to protest his inauguration are facing felony charges that carry sentences of 70 to 80 years.

According to Al Jazeera, the 212 protesters were arrested by the Metropolitan Police Department and initially charged with felony rioting, a crime that carries a 10-year prison sentence and a $25,000 fine. On April 27, the Superior Court of the District of Columbia added additional charges that include urging to riot, conspiracy to riot and destruction of property.

Archived