U.S. Politics: Despite Negative Press Covfefe, We Will Always Have Paris

Now Republican Party repeat after me. Externality. Externality.

That’s the word for the day. Remember it, when we start to talk about regulations.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2017/06/01/new-evidence-that-lead-exposure-increases-crime/

A recent investigation by Reuters found that lead exposure affects kids in communities across the country — not just in high-profile cities like Flint, Michigan. This is worrisome, because elevated blood lead levels in kids have been linked to an array of developmental delays and behavioral problems. More ominously, this could also increase crime. Kevin Drum and others have argued that lead exposure caused the high crime rates during the 1980s and early 1990s. There has been suggestive evidence of such a link for decades, though it hasn’t gained much traction in research or policy circles. But the case that lead exposure causes crime recently became much stronger.

Yes, I think we should snicker and laugh at the idea of the so called “Republican Moderate”.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/06/obamacare-repeal-is-right-on-track/

I sure hope everyone is taking this seriously. It could happen. If there’s one thing that can unite the Republican Party, it’s showing up a bunch of smug Democrats. As for all those “moderates” who supposedly will never agree to a bill that takes away insurance from millions, just remember what happened in the House: after voting against Trumpcare 1.0, the moderates negotiated an even worse bill and then went ahead and voted for it. The thinnest reed on the planet is a Republican moderate.

I’m not claiming I have the best memory in the world. Half the time I can’t even remember where I put my car keys or cell phone. But I just have to ask, where in the fuck was Blankfein on this issue about 5 or 6 years ago? Cause I don’t recall him taking this stance when it would have made much more sense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/06/goldman-sachs-ceo-us-needs-to-invest-in-infrastructure-to-keep-up/

“Arrived in China,” Lloyd Blankfein, chief executive of Goldman Sachs, said in a tweet, “as always impressed by condition of airport, roads, cell services, etc. US needs to invest in infrastructure to keep up!”

Goldman Sachs, for example, is part of a team that paid more than $1 billion in 2011 for a 40-year contract to operate two toll roads in Puerto Rico.

Could it be that Blankfein is only interested now cause he sees an opportunity for Goldman Sachs and himself to make a buck? Or maybe, he was upset that Obama didn’t offer to kiss Wall Streets’ ass down on Main Street and then give them a couple of hours to draw a crowd.

So Trump, in an effort to distract from congressional testimony the next two days, nominates Christopher Wray to be the FBI Director. On the surface, this looks fine and non-political as he's a former AG with experience with criminal investigations. The only issue is he works for King & Spalding, who represents Trump's trust (supposed to vet Trump Org deals for conflicts of interest but doesn't seem to be doing anything there), Saudi Arabia lobbying interests and Rosneft. He also defended Chris Christie. No idea how involved Wray is in any of the law firms activities so maybe it's all fine but he was definitely picked due to his firm's closeness with Trump.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Considering this was driven by moderate Republicans who had primared incumbent conservative Republicans explicitly over this issue, I think they are already following the wills of the voters. In 2014, the state still re-elected Brownback and all the Republicans and led to a new round of "What's the matter with Kansas?" but 2016 was a mostly different story. Sure Trump won easily (though by less than Republicans usually do), but he wasn't associated with the state's problems; and at the state-level voters finally started punishing those responsible.

Pretty much everyone is aware at this point of how many services have already been cut and how many more were on the chopping block for the next fiscal year; the big one being higher education finally getting it, despite that being a violation of the state constitution. So just by avoiding that people will see a demonstrable positive impact.

Trump may have won Kansas "easily", but I remember seeing a map showing that Kansas was the only Midwestern state where Clinton's percentage of the vote in 2016 was higher than Obama's in 2012, even though it was just by a smidgen. So Kansas Republicans can pretty well see that Brownback's policies have their electoral fortunes moving in the wrong direction, and would want to nip that in the bud.

The % of Democrats in the State House went from 22% to 32% in 2016. So in that body I don't think their proportion is "tiny" -- that's about the same % chance Trump had of winning the presidency, after all. 

7 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Trump may have won Kansas "easily", but I remember seeing a map showing that Kansas was the only Midwestern state where Clinton's percentage of the vote in 2016 was higher than Obama's in 2012, even though it was just by a smidgen. So Kansas Republicans can pretty well see that Brownback's policies have their electoral fortunes moving in the wrong direction, and would want to nip that in the bud.

The % of Democrats in the State House went from 22% to 32% in 2016. So in that body I don't think their proportion is "tiny" -- that's about the same % chance Trump had of winning the presidency, after all. 

Yeah, I mentioned that about Trump. Kansas was one of the only states where Clinton did better than Obama '12. 

I'd call 32% tiny when it comes to percentages in the state legislature. There are worse ones of course, but anything below 40% is really bad and anytime a party has supermajorities in both chambers I'd call the other party tiny.

Also, I was referring to the entire state legislature, and the Kansas Senate is at 23% Democratic (9 of 40); making the overall state legislature 29% Democratic.

Yesterday morning I predicted that Sessions would be fired soon, and last night it broke that he offered to resign. I'm going to double down and predict that he get's fired either tomorrow evening or Friday morning. 

30 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Georgia Republican candidate: “I do not support a livable wage”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/7/15753432/georgia-republican-livable-wage

Ummm...

“This is an example of the fundamental difference between a liberal and a conservative: I do not support a livable wage,” Handel said, according to Talking Points Memo. “What I support is making sure that we have an economy that is robust with low taxes and less regulation.”

I don't think that she understands all of those words.

Our innovator in chief has a new idea (never mind this has been proposed before), which is to deck the Wall with solar panels. In other words, the wall will pay for itself with these beautiful bigly lightcatchers. If you add motion detectors and lasers, you'd get a wall that pays for AND defends itself.

12 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Our innovator in chief has a new idea (never mind this has been proposed before), which is to deck the Wall with solar panels. In other words, the wall will pay for itself with these beautiful bigly lightcatchers. If you add motion detectors and lasers, you'd get a wall that pays for AND defends itself.

Is to some how to make Ivanka feel better? Pull out of Paris but make his wall double as a massive green project.

The man can present amazing irony and contradiction all at the same time.

Pretty insane that thanks to Trump we've allowed North Korea to have the moral high ground on us on an issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/06/07/north-korea-slams-trumps-decision-to-pull-out-of-paris-accord-as-the-height-of-egotism/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.df198053de73

North Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has condemned President Trump for pulling the United States out of the Paris agreement on climate change, dubbing it a “shortsighted and silly decision.”

In a statement published Tuesday on Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) and attributed to an unidentified Foreign Ministry spokesman, the isolated country warned that “global warming is one of the gravest challenges humankind is facing today” and praised the Paris accord for its attempt to stop it.

Noting that the Trump administration had announced on June 1 that the United States would leave the landmark agreement, the unnamed official attributed the decision to Trump's “America First” policy and to ignorance “of the fact that the protection of the global environment is in their own interests.”

“This is the height of egotism and moral vacuum seeking only their own well-being at the cost of the entire planet,” the statement said.

Oh and apparently North Korea announced in 2015 a goal of reducing greenhouse emissions by 37.4% and are actually basically on pace to do exactly that.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Georgia Republican candidate: “I do not support a livable wage”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/7/15753432/georgia-republican-livable-wage

because she’s a conservative,

Not sayin' I'm the sharpest tool in the crayon box, or is it the brightest crayon in the shed? Which one is it? I forgot.

Anyway, I wouldn't typically admit that I'm a moron that quickly.  I'd at least put up a little bit of a fight before the admission. But, you know, each to his own, I reckon.

20 hours ago, maarsen said:

This is why I keep stressing on this forum that Trump is lying about his net worth. Taking money that should go to cancer care and diverting it to his own businesses is not the actions of a billionaire  but the actions of someone desperately trying to avoid a fifth bankruptcy and/or trying to get out from under the Russian oligarchs. Either that or he is just a complete piece of shit.

the wealthy are historically known to be the most parsimonious and greedy of any type of human. Give someone a billion dollars and they will think themselves entitled to 100,000 of money meant to go to sick kids with cancer and they will simply take it, because it "obviously" belongs to them, or is owed to them or some other reprehensible rationalization for their theft. 

the wealthy who give away money generously are the exception, not the rule. And are generally not old money like the Trumps, where all the wealth is dependent upon generational inheritances. This is because the former earned their money, they know how to earn more, they expect to earn more, whereas for the inheritors like the Trumps, they didn't earn their money, their money is always "magically" there, and is always "magically" accumulating more, they naturally assume this is what the universe owes them given that the money would only magically perform its actions in response to their own actions, but they really have no clue how money works as and so they are prone to panic and greed and entitlement and do things like steal money from kids with cancer.

TLDR, rather than stealing from kids with cancer being proof that the Trump's don't have have a lot of money it is actually proof that they do have a lot of money, because only dynastic monstrosities like themselves would consider stealing from kids with cancer to be acceptable ways to accumulate more money.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Comey's statement he'll read tomorrow has been added to intelligence.senate.gov for the record. It's worth reading.

Yep, it's worth reading. 

It's also likely not the bombshell that folks are hoping from Comey. In particular, I suspect Trump will be thrilled beyond belief to be able to note that the FBI was not investigating him personally in a criminal or counterintel way, and we'll be hearing that trumpeted for the next week as his spin.

The other stuff is pretty much what I think people expected - Comey feeling pressure to do things, being threatened on his job, etc. The one special bombshell there, IMO, is that Trump insinuated that there were other things going on with Flynn which he knew about. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The other stuff is pretty much what I think people expected - Comey feeling pressure to do things, being threatened on his job, etc. The one special bombshell there, IMO, is that Trump insinuated that there were other things going on with Flynn which he knew about. 

This too -- (not sure it is specifically/only Flynn he's referencing)

The President went on to say that if there were some “satellite” associates of his who did something wrong, it would be good to find that out, but that he hadn’t done anything wrong and hoped I would find a way to get it out that we weren’t investigating him.

That suggest to me that he expects some of his toadies to go down and hopes to be shielded from that.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Everybody sing now 

Deck the walls with solar panels

la la lala la la lala

Keeping out the unwashed rabel

Red hot lasers, detectors of motion

Drones to drop them in the ocean

Oh Himself loves his beautiful wall

la lala la la la la la

Archived