U.S. Politics: Despite Negative Press Covfefe, We Will Always Have Paris

47 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Comey's statement he'll read tomorrow has been added to intelligence.senate.gov for the record. It's worth reading.

I'm disappointed regarding his notes of the personal dinner he had with Trump on 1/27. No mention of two big boy scoops. That's some piss poor note taking there, James.

56 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep, it's worth reading. 

It's also likely not the bombshell that folks are hoping from Comey. In particular, I suspect Trump will be thrilled beyond belief to be able to note that the FBI was not investigating him personally in a criminal or counterintel way, and we'll be hearing that trumpeted for the next week as his spin.

The other stuff is pretty much what I think people expected - Comey feeling pressure to do things, being threatened on his job, etc. The one special bombshell there, IMO, is that Trump insinuated that there were other things going on with Flynn which he knew about. 

You don't think the part where Comey wouldn't put out public statements about not having 45 under investigation because he'd have to correct the statement should the circumstances change important?

One gets the impression Comey expected the change to come and had (maybe) learned something after the email debacle just prior to the election.

Or perhaps I'm just misinterpreting.

56 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yep, it's worth reading. 

It's also likely not the bombshell that folks are hoping from Comey. In particular, I suspect Trump will be thrilled beyond belief to be able to note that the FBI was not investigating him personally in a criminal or counterintel way, and we'll be hearing that trumpeted for the next week as his spin.

The other stuff is pretty much what I think people expected - Comey feeling pressure to do things, being threatened on his job, etc. The one special bombshell there, IMO, is that Trump insinuated that there were other things going on with Flynn which he knew about. 

You don't think the part where Comey wouldn't put out public statements about not having 45 under investigation because he'd have to correct the statement should the circumstances change important?

One gets the impression Comey expected the change to come and had (maybe) learned something after the email debacle just prior to the election.

Or perhaps I'm just misinterpreting.

26 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Digging all the Jeff Sessions shade in there so far. Hopefully this buries that worm, if nothing else.

Following the logic that getting rid of Trump and getting Pence may not actually be as desirable as just letting the Republican party go down in flames over the next year and taking control of Congress at some point, I'd say that seeing Sessions go would be a big victory. He's one of the darlings of the Breitbart wing, and taking him out would certainly weaken their confidence in the shit-gibbon.

I know this is a bit of wishful thinking, but with all the high-profile stuff going on with Comey etc., it seems reasonable that letting a high-profile administration member or two go is the only way to get things under control again.

I think the notes overall paint a pretty grim picture for serious politicians and followers of the constitution. I see that DNI head Coates had testified that he felt no pressure from Trump's request to ask the FBI to knock things off, but then said he went back to the office and actually discussed the President's request with others before determining it would be inappropriate.

Trump's request was seriously discussed. Coates did not go back to the office and say "you wouldn't believe what Trump asked me to do", he went on to discuss whether or not it should be done.

And taken as a whole, the events Comey discusses in his notes are damning. Trump asks him if he wants to stay in his job. Then he asks for the Flynn matter be dropped. Then Comey gets fired.

If you met with your boss, and your boss asked you if you liked your job, when you went back and sat down with your co-workers don't you think they'd raise their eyebrows and ask if your resume was up to date? And in Comey's case, would they not say, WTF, you have a 10 year contract?

My favorite analysis of the note:

Basically, the Comey-Trump dynamic is near identical to the dynamic of a female employee trying to avoid a sexually harassing boss.

26 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Following the logic that getting rid of Trump and getting Pence may not actually be as desirable as just letting the Republican party go down in flames over the next year and taking control of Congress at some point, I'd say that seeing Sessions go would be a big victory. He's one of the darlings of the Breitbart wing, and taking him out would certainly weaken their confidence in the shit-gibbon.

I know this is a bit of wishful thinking, but with all the high-profile stuff going on with Comey etc., it seems reasonable that letting a high-profile administration member or two go is the only way to get things under control again.

The USA's standing in the world is already destroyed. Imagine what another year of Trump will be like. He's not going anywhere until Dems get control of Congress so either 2018 or 2020. It's going to get so much worse.

18 minutes ago, Fez said:

My favorite analysis of the note:

Basically, the Comey-Trump dynamic is near identical to the dynamic of a female employee trying to avoid a sexually harassing boss.

"Don't leave me alone with him!"

50 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The Union Pub in D.C. is offering a free round to every occupant every time Trump tweets during the Comey testimony. I hope they've stocked up...

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/336710-dc-bar-to-offer-free-drinks-every-time-trump-tweets-during

I wonder if Trump is bright enough to realize that the Senators can see his tweets and then cross examine them with Comey? Probably not.....

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Digging all the Jeff Sessions shade in there so far. Hopefully this buries that worm, if nothing else.

It seems like he's going to keep his job after all. It's being reported that people close to Trump are saying that he wants to fire Sessions, badly, but that he knows it would create another political storm. 

Love this in relation to his Russian Hooker denial...

Woodward: According to White House personnel, Hunt definitely works there as a consultant for Colson. But when I called the White House Press office, they said he hadn't worked there for three months. Then the P.R. guy said the weirdest thing to me. [reading] "I am convinced that neither Mr. Colson nor anyone else at the White House had any knowledge of, or participation in, this deplorable incident at the Democratic National Committee."
Simons: Isn't that what you'd expect them to say?
Woodward: Absolutely.
Rosenfeld: So?
Woodward: I never asked them about Watergate. I only said what were Hunt's duties at the White House. They volunteered that he was innocent when nobody asked was he guilty.

25 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Love this in relation to his Russian Hooker denial...

Woodward: According to White House personnel, Hunt definitely works there as a consultant for Colson. But when I called the White House Press office, they said he hadn't worked there for three months. Then the P.R. guy said the weirdest thing to me. [reading] "I am convinced that neither Mr. Colson nor anyone else at the White House had any knowledge of, or participation in, this deplorable incident at the Democratic National Committee."
Simons: Isn't that what you'd expect them to say?
Woodward: Absolutely.
Rosenfeld: So?
Woodward: I never asked them about Watergate. I only said what were Hunt's duties at the White House. They volunteered that he was innocent when nobody asked was he guilty.

This is the same thing with the Sessions stuff. He volunteered he had no interactions with Russians (which we know is a lie) when Franken never asked him that question.

13 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Can anyone explain to me why Alan Dershowitz (sp) is so respected?  I'm watching him on CNN, and he comes across as a clown of historic proportions. 

ETA: I am aware that he has credentials.

I guess he's a really good lawyer? He's made a fuckton of coin at it, anyway. Not a very good "special guest" though, I agree. 

Archived