U.S. Politics: Despite Negative Press Covfefe, We Will Always Have Paris

And here is the part where I say fuck Jeb Hensarling and fuck the Republican Party.

We are just starting to get out of 10 years of pain as a result of the financial crises.

The Republican Party, Jeb Hensarling, and the Trumpsters have little to nothing to offer here as far as stopping them, or delaying them, and when they come, dealing with them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/08/house-to-vote-on-sweeping-rollback-of-banking-rules/

The House on Thursday is preparing to vote on sweeping legislation to roll back Wall Street regulations.

The bill, introduced by Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Tex.), offers the country’s nearly 6,000 banks a choice: If they want to avoid many of the regulatory burdens imposed during the Obama administration, they must significantly increase their emergency financial cushion. That way, even if they run into financial trouble, the banks should have enough money to survive without taxpayers’ help, supporters of the bill say.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is anyone else amused that Partisan Republican and Partisan Democratic opinions of James Comey depend almost literally on the last thing the man said?  How many times have either side either demonized or deified Comey depending on what he was doing or saying at a given moment.  

:)

Yeah, I'm certainly guilty of that. This may be revisionist history to some degree, but I have to say that I now buy his defense of the election eve press release. For someone who appears to be as by the book as this guy is signalling, it really was a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation.

I think Senator McCain has lost his mind. An FBI investigation about Russian interference in the US election is continuing, and 'but her e-mails'! Soooooooooo unfair, that one was closed, and she ran in the same election!!!

McCain -- WTF????? His questions are incoherent and lacking any content.  Plus -- back to HC's e-mails.  Why did you conclude the investigation into her e-mails but not into the rumpeola's ties to Russia?

Ooops, FBird and I -- again, same response!  eeeks!

McCain's questioning was indeed bizarre.  It seemed that he did not grasp that the Clinton email investigation and the investigation into Russian interference were two different things.

Just now, KingintheNorth4 said:

Bringing up HRC's emails is past beating a dead horse at this point;

Just now, S John said:

McCain's questioning was indeed bizarre.  It seemed that he did not grasp that the Clinton email investigation and the investigation into Russian interference were two different things.

They just can't let that one go, can they?

Just now, Mindwalker said:

I just read a political blog where they think McCain's behavior signals the Republicans are closing ranks...

Yup. That's exactly what crossed my mind. When McCain, so pissed off at the Russians, pulls a stunt like this?

Maybe that's why he kept saying 'President Comey' - his brain couldn't process it!

2 hours ago, denstorebog said:

Well, it's clear where this is going. Nothing completely incriminating or vindicating will come from this. Once this hearing is over, the two sides will continue fight over whether Trump tried to bring Comey into his fold in order to protect himself from something specific, or if the 'loyalty' question was simply inappropriate rather than incriminating.

Even if this hearing goes nowhere, I imagine progressives will use "Russia investigation" as a battle cry much like conservatives used "Benghazi!!!". There are so many things to choose from, there should be no problem to fire up the base in subsequent elections.

Actually, it might be better to have an unresolved issue as a festering sore to keep voters invested.

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Even if this hearing goes nowhere, I imagine progressives will use "Russia investigation" as a battle cry much like conservatives used "Benghazi!!!". There are so many things to choose from, there should be no problem to fire up the base in subsequent elections.

Actually, it might be better to have an unresolved issue as a festering sore to keep voters invested.

I think Trump is a complete embarrassment and will continue to damage international perceptions of this country and bring shame upon the office of the presidency.  BUT, I don't actually want to see him impeached unless he is caught absolutely red-handed in unequivocally criminal activity.  I think it is better for national unity, in the long run, if we let this guy bumble around looking like an ill-tempered and mean-spirited fool for 4 years.  

Trump had no record to speak of when he ran against Clinton and that turned out to be to his advantage.  In 2020 he'll have to run on defending his record, and Americans will have to reflect on the 4 year circus and decide if that is something they want more of.  I really do not think that they will.  Trump has only been in office for 6 months, so sure, there are still many clinging to the SS Trump, but my guess is that many will be ready to disembark come 2020.  And maybe, just maybe, letting this all play out to its natural conclusion will teach the electorate a valuable lesson - though that may be a touch of optimism too far.  

Just now, S John said:

I think Trump is a complete embarrassment and will continue to damage international perceptions of this country and bring shame upon the office of the presidency.  BUT, I don't actually want to see him impeached unless he is caught absolutely red-handed in unequivocally criminal activity.  I think it is better for national unity, in the long run, if we let this guy bumble around looking like an ill-tempered and mean-spirited fool for 4 years.  

Counterpoint: Trump is going to do some major damage by being this much of an ignorant dumbass.

30 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The only way it could get better is if Trump comes out later today and says "I am not a crook!'

Well to be fair, if Trump said that it would sound more like, "I am not a crook. Not a crook. Believe me, I am not a crook." 

Archived