U.S. Politics: Despite Negative Press Covfefe, We Will Always Have Paris

13 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I'm sharing this just for fun.

An article that could be titled "Conservative student takes her teacher to court because she is too liberal for her taste" :

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2017/06/07/uwsp-student-asks-court-force-poetry-professor-give-her/357759001/

Edgar Allen Poe and Robert Frost. Does this lady understand she's not in high school anymore? Any college or university level course covering those done to death authors would raise major red flags to me.

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Now hmm. Wage theft couldn’t possibly be problem, now could it? Not at all.

Yanno, I had a job where my manager tried to steal 3 1/2 hours overtime from me.  He didn't get it because I was the one who processed payroll and I put in for the hours worked, which was then paid by the main office in another state.  But there were some issues there. 

The office was a 2 person satellite office and I no idea what to do or who to report the bastard too.  Plus, and this is the most important thing, I was terrified about losing that job.  An that reality, not wanting to make waves for fear of losing a job, even a shitty one like that is one of the huge issues that enable a lot of wage theft.

When employees don't know what to do and can't afford a job loss, we get stuck and become easy prey for assholes like good ole Ed.  That the laws are changed (regulations!) to hurt the workers is very shitty and also very Republican.

14 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Can we also note that this student is 59 years old? So much of the discussion of "entitlement" in college students focuses on the supposed negative characteristics of the "millennial" generation. But in my experience and that of other professors at my university, older adult students are just as or even more likely to believe they deserve to get A's just for enrolling for the course and doing a minimal amount of work as traditional age students are. This is a general problem with American culture -- and one that does have a negative impact on our politics.

Amen.  I see this frequently with my client base too.

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

snip

1. I'm sorry you had to deal with this crap. Nobody should have to put up with it.

2. And yes, The Republican Party is The Pro Wage Theft Party.

21 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Can we also note that this student is 59 years old? So much of the discussion of "entitlement" in college students focuses on the supposed negative characteristics of the "millennial" generation. But in my experience and that of other professors at my university, older adult students are just as or even more likely to believe they deserve to get A's just for enrolling for the course and doing a minimal amount of work as traditional age students are. This is a general problem with American culture -- and one that does have a negative impact on our politics.

I will never forget when I was in undergrad I happened upon an older (probably in his 50's) student talking with the "non-western" history professor in our History Department.  He had to ask the student to refrain from referring to Muslims as "Mohammadans".  

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

1. I'm sorry you had to deal with this crap. Nobody should have to put up with it.

2. And yes, The Republican Party is The Pro Wage Theft Party.

Thanks, I was able to see Ed fired (for something eles) but even though he tried to steal wages from other workers, who reported him to personnel and their union (I wasn't union tho) he stayed on.  So yeah, lets make it even easier for assholes to keep stealin' from workers and not being punished. 

And, let's make it easier for this to become corporate policy.   Yup, 45 is right there for the working folk, stealing our wages, destroying health care (back to pre-conditions), ripping safety nets to shreds (45 is lookin' at you Social Security). 

yeah

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I will never forget when I was in undergrad I happened upon an older (probably in his 50's) student talking with the "non-western" history professor in our History Department.  He had to ask the student to refrain from referring to Muslims as "Mohammadans".  

when I went to college I was an 'non-traditional student' aka 'an old fart' and this surprises me. Before I went to university I took some English and math courses at the local CC and I remember a traditional student complaining about her grade and that the instructor was hired by her and should have given her a better grade.  lol  

From the article this stands out for me

Kikkert said she believes a university should challenge students, but she also believes that a professor's job is to improve a student's welfare. Part of doing so, she said, is taking students seriously when they suggest a topic for study. 

I never considered that a professor should improve a student's welfare and not even sure what she means.  As for the bolded, one can be have a suggestion taken seriously and still get the answer of 'no'.  Grow up lady.

Kikkert said she believes a university should challenge students, but she also believes that a professor's job is to improve a student's welfare. Part of doing so, she said, is taking students seriously when they suggest a topic for study. 

That's called an independent study.

That attitude of I paid my money and thus I deserve an A --  even if I don't show up if that's how I the student chose to play it -- is the common attitude.

OTOH, the price of tuition is insane, which does a lot to foster such attitudes.

Everything in this country needs reformist restructuring and regulation.

It seems the only attitude that still holds across the decades is that I deserve to get what I paid for . . . .

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Everything in this country needs reformist restructuring and regulation.

And there's the rub.  We got some 'reformist and restructuring' going on now, and damn the regulations. 

Romperitler's attorney is filing a complaint against Comey for "leaking."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/trumps-lawyer-to-file-complaint-over-comeys-leaked-memo.html

However, it seems to me that the memos he gave to his expert legal mentor were his own -- not classified.  And he did it after he was fired.  Nor were the meetings with romperitler that the memos covered classified -- even though as with romperitler's behavior it was clear he expected the content he brought up to be kept secret.  But none of this is covered by various security regulations.  Both Comey and his mentor, savvy as they both are, would have been sure of that.

Wait!  Didn't romperitler's lawyer announce They won? Total exoneration!  Nothing there! So what's the point, hmmmmmmmmm?  Dorks don't seem to know how much this will help keep Russian and the Orange in the news.

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just heard that Tillerson has announced the US has offered to mediate between the parties in the Middle East, where tensions just increased.

Oh, the irony. Will the Great Negotiator and Tweeter in Chief be the lead?

He's giving a press conference this afternoon -- because visit from the Romanian president to the WH.  What does that mean?  He's not given a presser for weeks now.  Guess he believes what he wants his lawyer to say that he's out of the frying pan.  Ha!

OTOH, evidently the rethugs are planning to ram through their health care bill without a hearing and do it Right Now.

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

OTOH, evidently the rethugs are planning to ram through their health care bill without a hearing and do it Right Now.

Yeah, that should be the headline right now. It appears that McConnell (Turtle-Kentucky) has managed to get many of the senators who were assumed to be against it onboard, and is trying to pass this without a hearing. And word is the Senate re-write isn't any better than the House version. This is pretty damn scary.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that should be the headline right now. It appears that McConnell (Turtle-Kentucky) has managed to get many of the senators who were assumed to be against it onboard, and is trying to pass this without a hearing. And word is the Senate re-write isn't any better than the House version. This is pretty damn scary.

Well so much for the so called "Republican Moderates" holding the line here. Not that anyone should be surprised by that.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Why should you worry everyone in the DC democrat establishment KNOWS that no bad thing will ever possibly happen so there's no real need to freak out when bad things happen that bad people said for years they would do if given the opportunity. 

No need to do anything about this , the establishment bosses In D.C. Already always know that theres nothing to worry about

certainly nothing to mobilize or organize democrats over, that sounds like work, and god knows the democrat establishment hates hard work almost as much as they dislike winning. their D.C. future consulting jobs are in no danger, so it's not as though there are any real world consequences to republicans doing what they said they would do.

boy if all the D.C. Establishment were banned from any left affiliated consulting position for life as a consequence of Obamacare being  repealed you might see them do something for the first time ever if their future millions were suddenly threatened by their current incompetence and more significantly their general malaise and inaction.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Romperitler's attorney is filing a complaint against Comey for "leaking."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/trumps-lawyer-to-file-complaint-over-comeys-leaked-memo.html

However, it seems to me that the memos he gave to his expert legal mentor were his own -- not classified.  And he did it after he was fired.  Nor were the meetings with romperitler that the memos covered classified -- even though as with romperitler's behavior it was clear he expected the content he brought up to be kept secret.  But none of this is covered by various security regulations.  Both Comey and his mentor, savvy as they both are, would have been sure of that.

Wait!  Didn't romperitler's lawyer announce They won? Total exoneration!  Nothing there! So what's the point, hmmmmmmmmm?  Dorks don't seem to know how much this will help keep Russian and the Orange in the news.

A document does not have to be classified to be considered leaked. 

43 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It's unlikely that they want it to actually pass. The probably want the bill to fail or make the Dems filibuster it so they can paint them as obstructionists. 

18 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Also all this Comey/Russia stuff, in a way, is kind of working for the Republicans right now. They can dismantle Dodd-Frank and the ACA, without anyone noticing.

One thing that Trump is very good at is using distraction to effect.  

I do hope for significant reform of the CFPB.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

One thing that Trump is very good at is using distraction to effect.  

I do hope for significant reform of the CFPB.

Well, I will tell you Hensarling's bill overall is a fuckin' disaster. 

Archived