Best/Favorite Chapter That Doesn't Contain a Huge/Iconic Event

Foot_Of_The_King

The chapter where Tyrion and fAegon play cyvasse, and Tyrion perfectly explains the situation in Westeros, what Daenerys is like, and what fAegon's next steps should be. Tyrion delivers it with such wit and humor, and with such skill in terms of persuasion. It also is the most descriptive passage we have of fAegon.

Also the chapter where Tyrion sets up Pycelle, Varys and Littlefinger for his honeytrap, to see who is leaking information to Cersei.

The Alayne chapter in AFFC where Littlefinger verbally spars with the lords declarant. I just like seeing Littlefinger in action.

Ned confronting Cersei was also great (though it would've been greater from Cersei's pov, IMO). Does that count as a noteworthy chapter though? It was a big event even if it is mostly dialogue.

Catelyn witnessing and assessing Renly as a king. "They are the knights of summer, and winter is coming".

Catelyn speaking with Jaime in the dungeon of riverrun at the end of ACOK.

Quentyn's descriptions of the armies of Yunkai were also a hoot to read, but it was more funny than noteworthy.

47 minutes ago, HouseFossoway said:

The chapter where Tyrion and fAegon play cyvasse, and Tyrion perfectly explains the situation in Westeros, what Daenerys is like, and what fAegon's next steps should be. Tyrion delivers it with such wit and humor, and with such skill in terms of persuasion. It also is the most descriptive passage we have of fAegon.

Actually this is a huge iconic event IMO. This is the thing that makes Aegon head West instead of East completely ruining the plans of several players.

I love Tyrion's Rhoynish chapters. They are very atmospheric and Tyrion trying to play the game again is interesting.

I also like Theon's escape from Winterfell. Scratch that all of Theon's Dance chapters.

I love Dany's Vaes Tolorro chapter in Clash. It has a nice setting and Jorah talks about Westeros and they finally meet the three wise men from Qarth.

I love Victarion's Reaver chapter. Inside Victarion's mind in the middle of a battle is very interesting.

Another one is the Arya chapter where she meets with the Northman. 

I wanted to pick the chapter Robert died in, but that probably counts as an iconic event, so I choose the chapter with Ned in the dungeon, basically talking to himself and then to Varys. It really reminds me of what his character is likejust as he is about to die. 

Even though I'm re-reading the lot again, can't think of one off-the-top-of-my-head..

But I like pretty much all the Sansa/Alayne chapters, so I'll pick the one released from TWOW where she meets up with Harald and has to watch herself with Myranda.

I like it because for probably the first time, Sansa has to rely wholly on her own instincts.

I'm just finishing up a close re-read of Clash so my current favorites tend to be from that book.

Jon digging up the obsidian cache is a favorite, but that might count as huge and iconic if it turns out that the obsidian dagger is Lightbringer.

Jon and Qhorin Halfhand taking the tunnel through the mountain and then Jon slaying Qhorin is also amazingly complex and fascinating.

I also like anything with Dolorous Edd in it. Jon waking up after spending the night under the shelter of a rock and of his cloak at Craster's Keep is also a terrific chapter for important details.

It's surprising to me that all of my favorites are Jon chapters. I thought Arya was my favorite character. I do like her Harrenhal chapters.

Vaes Dothrak

It's not easy to find a chapter where something big didn't happen during Dany's chapters.  I choose their arrival at Vaes Dothrak.  All the monuments and idols lining the road to the city.  Jorah and Dany talking about Viserys.  I really enjoyed that chapter.  We see Dany coming to the realization that it must be her who has to lead the Dothraki to take back her family's lands.  Jorah too has to realize that the armies of Westeros stand no chance if they meet the Dothraki on the battlefield but Robert may be foolish enough to do something like that instead of hiding behind the security of his stone walls.  The Dothraki bows have more range than the Westerosi longbow.

19 hours ago, HouseFossoway said:

Also the chapter where Tyrion sets up Pycelle, Varys and Littlefinger for his honeytrap, to see who is leaking information to Cersei.

The Alayne chapter in AFFC where Littlefinger verbally spars with the lords declarant. I just like seeing Littlefinger in action.

Ned confronting Cersei was also great (though it would've been greater from Cersei's pov, IMO). Does that count as a noteworthy chapter though? It was a big event even if it is mostly dialogue.

Catelyn witnessing and assessing Renly as a king. "They are the knights of summer, and winter is coming".

Catelyn speaking with Jaime in the dungeon of riverrun at the end of ACOK.

Quentyn's descriptions of the armies of Yunkai were also a hoot to read, but it was more funny than noteworthy.

Exactly the kind of scenes I wanted from my OP. These are all great. 

Ned confronting Cersei might be my favorite. 

For some reason I love the Reaver. I know not many of you care for ole Vic but I love seeing into this fearless brute(yet honorable in his own way) mind. Ironborne personified.... And that's where we get a better notion of what we are dealing with in Euron(a charter quickly rising on my fav list).

Does count Bran meeting Sam at the Nightfort as huge/iconic moment? 

(Probably not) 

Anyway it is my most favorite chapter of the whole series. I love the whole setting. You have Bran, Jojen and Meera entering the biggest ghost castle of whole Westeros, Bran recounting all his ghost stories which happened there, ... and then GRRM uses the typical elements of a ghost story (footsteps, ...) to bring up tension and .... boom ... it is just Sam. 

The atmosphere is brilliant set up and it does remind me of the times we told each other ghost stories/urban legends at youth summer camps.

I like the chapters that make me visualise beautiful stunning scenes, like when Catelyn visits her sister Lysa. The vale is described far more stunning and (dizzy with heights) than it actually appeared on the TV show. Also Jon's experience beyong the Wall is stunning too. The chapters with scenery is better than what was made by TV.

I like chapters that are amusing. The stuff jailed Jaime says to Catelyn, lol. Theon getting lost and walking in circles in the woods trying to find Bran, Ricjard, Hodor, ect is amusing.

Archived