I honestly don't understand why ppl like Dany. Explain?

She is the most self-righteous character I have ever seen in my life. Daenerys claims to have loved a man who had brutally murdered, raped and enslaved god knows how many men, women, and children for fun, supported his "campaign" to get her precious chair. Daenerys also things she has the right to torture a human being to death because aforementioned genocidal rapist is killed most likely due to his own  immense stupidity. Seriously, what the fuck? Dany had absolutely no place to be torturing nor condemning Miri for allegedly killing Rhaego when she had loved and supported a man who has killed and enslaved thousands of children who ha already been born under his regime. If Dany was so concerned about "justice", why didn't she tie one of the remaing Dothraki to the pyre? Perhaps use him as a warning for the Dothraki to stop being evil pieces of shit? She has already done this for the slavers. I'm just playing devil's advocate because she has no business torturing anyone. 

So can you give me a few  reasons to what's so great about her? Dany isn't one of those characters where people like her as a villain because they find her interesting  or funny. People legitimately admire her, and I don't see much to admire. Please mention something other than freeing slaves, because she had burned her own slave and didn't have much of probably with slavery, before she started her "abolitionist" campaign. Not to mention she eventually turns their  cities into living hell. This obviously won't change my opinion because ironically I used to like Dany when I first started watching the show, but then I woke the hell up. But please share! 

9 minutes ago, thewolfofStarfall said:

please share!

Unapologetically, sexy peroxide-blonde riding black leather dragooooon bareback...  otherwise known as the american dream...

you need more explanashiohn..?

signed...

RR -- Poetess of the Nennymoans,

Renowned-Dany-hater-it-is-known-confirmed :whip:

PERIOD.

I guess people just enjoy crucifying slavers and allowing the torture of wineseller's daughters.

6 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Unapologetically, sexy peroxide-blonde riding black leather dragooooon bareback...  otherwise known as the american dream...

you need more explanashiohn..?

signed...

RR -- Poetess of the Nennymoans,

Renowned-Dany-hater-it-is-known-confirmed :whip:

PERIOD.

:cheers: Preach.

Just now, Lord Wraith said:

I guess people just enjoy crucifying slavers and allowing the torture of wineseller's daughters.

I'm glad that I don't know whether you're being ironic or 'the most sincere member of the forums'.

This gives me faith in humanity.

I mean this in all sincerity, you anti-Petyr you...

:wub:

It's pretty much opposite for me. "Why do people hate her character"? Yes she wouldn't be the best person in this series but as a character she is a interesting. The shades she show are something I haven't seen in a main character. She is a typical GRRM character for the lack of better word. Why do people still love generic overdone characters? Because they are more rootable? Give me Dany over them anyday.

35 minutes ago, thewolfofStarfall said:

She is the most self-righteous character I have ever seen in my life. Daenerys claims to have loved a man who had brutally murdered, raped and enslaved god knows how many men, women, and children for fun, supported his "campaign" to get her precious chair. Daenerys also things she has the right to torture a human being to death because aforementioned genocidal rapist is killed most likely due to his own  immense stupidity. Seriously, what the fuck? Dany had absolutely no place to be torturing nor condemning Miri for allegedly killing Rhaego when she had loved and supported a man who has killed and enslaved thousands of children who had already been born under his regime. If Dany was so concerned about "justice", why didn't she tie one of the remaing Dothraki to the pyre? Perhaps use him as a warning for the Dothraki to stop being evil pieces of shit? She has already done this for the slavers. I'm just playing devil's advocate because she has no business torturing anyone. 

If she is the most self righteous character you have ever seen you don't even know ASOIAF well. She claims to have loved a man who raped, enslaved and plundered because he is the only man who gave her a respectable position for what she was. He didn't treat her like shit like Viserys or as a pawn as Illyrio. He listens to her when she asked the Dothraki to stop. At that point that was the most agency she ever had. Yet she doesn't condone bad practices of the Dothraki. 

For Mirri you have to put yourself in her shoes to understand her side of the story. Her brother had died and her husband turned into vegetative state. She is up for a terrible fate because of being at the mercy of Dothraki men. She also lost the only child that she hoped for. At that point she lost hope for any family she will ever  have. Yet the one she trusted not only turned her husband into a vegetable giving a false hope for her but also gloats in front of her. People has killed for lesser reasons. Even Jon Snow goes to stab Alliser Thorne for a lesser reason than this. Arya has killed for lesser reason than this. But I understand Mirri is a hero of her own story too. It is a wonderfully crafted tragedy.

35 minutes ago, thewolfofStarfall said:

So can you give me a few  reasons to what's so great about her? Dany isn't one of those characters where people like her as a villain because they find her interesting  or funny. People legitimately admire her, and I don't see much to admire. Please mention something other than freeing slaves, because she had burned her own slave and didn't have much of probably with slavery, before she started her "abolitionist" campaign. Not to mention she eventually turns their  cities into living hell. This obviously won't change my opinion because ironically I used to like Dany when I first started watching the show, but then I woke the hell up. But please share! 

She is admirable because even after her horrible upbringing, her character flaws and things she has done she has her heart in the right place. She genuinely tries to help people with the power she acquires. She has a story very similar to Arya Stark. They kills people they think deserves death and they have so far killed terrible people. 

Your last comment is ironic for me because you claim you woke up and yet have a terrible judgement of her character.

37 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

Ad hominems are more worthy arguments than actual discussion about characters.

47 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

I'm glad that I don't know whether you're being ironic or 'the most sincere member of the forums'.

This gives me faith in humanity.

I mean this in all sincerity, you anti-Petyr you...

:wub:

A little of column A, a little of column B.

;)

9 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

Ad hominems are more worthy arguments than actual discussion about characters.

It's called sarcasm and I thought it was obvious, just in before all the people who luv Dany show up. Besides this will probably end up devolving into a hate thread and be closed by the mods anyway.

Just now, Lord Wraith said:

It's called sarcasm and I thought it was obvious, just in before all the people who luv Dany show up. Besides this will probably end up devolving into a hate thread and be closed by the mods anyways.

This is a hate thread. Isn't the point of the thread is asking people who luv Dany why they love her? The thread starting with two sarcastic comments back to back is exactly why this will devolve into a typical Dany thread.

23 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

this will probably end up devolving into a hate thread and be closed by the mods anyway.

Really?  No thread in which I've ever participated has been closed by the mods.  They reprimanded me for calling Lord Varys 'thick' but not Varys for accusing me of 'gish-galloping around'...so it's all relative, I guess...:uhoh:

Have you ever wondered why Dany arouses such strong emotions?  I think it's because the author himself secretly hates her, although he puts her on a pedestal.  We the readers are but the unwitting hapless recipients of the bearded gnome's horrible projections, based on an unrequited relationship of his that turned sour, I'd wager.  From now on, I take no ownership thereof! 

Signed:

RR, 

Poetess of the Nennymoans

The Devil's Secretary Muse

Renowned-Dany-Hater-It-is-Known:whip:

PERIOD.

@khal drogon  Don't worry.  He can't bring himself to break up with her, regardless.

Let's be honest, nobody would want to live on Planetos, or meet any of the individuals there - it is a violent world, full of unpleasant people. Exciting to read about, but you wouldn't want to be any closer.  

Dany's story arc is a real classic old school sandals and sorcery. I think I'm right in saying that it was one of the first bits written? It's an epic journey of a specific type.  She was pretty much a natural disaster moving through the world before she got dragons.  Now, people read on to see exactly how much change she'll bring about.

short answer: it's definitely about the dragons.

6 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Really?  No thread in which I've ever participated has been closed by the mods.  They reprimanded me for calling Lord Varys 'thick' but not Varys for accusing me of 'gish-galloping around'...so it's all relative, I guess...:uhoh:

Have you ever wondered why Dany arouses such strong emotions?  I think it's because the author himself secretly hates her, although he puts her on a pedestal.  We the readers are but the unwitting hapless recipients of the bearded gnome's horrible projections, based on an unrequited relationship of his that turned sour, I'd wager.  From now on, I take no ownership thereof! 

Signed:

RR, 

Poetess of the Nennymoans

The Devil's Secretary Muse

Renowned-Dany-Hater-It-is-Known:whip:

PERIOD.

@khal drogon  Don't worry.  He can't bring himself to break up with her, regardless.

You are a next level theorist. You even include the grrm in your theory. Really Dany do invoke really strong emotions and I can't stop loving her because of this.

3 minutes ago, SeaWitch said:

Dany's story arc is a real classic old school sandals and sorcery

Sandals and sorcery?  You mean scandals...But sandals is so much better!

4 minutes ago, SeaWitch said:

short answer: it's definitely about the dragons.

Exactly.  Once Bran skinchanges Drogon, no Dany is necessary!   Exciting times...:devil:

47 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

This is a hate thread. Isn't the point of the thread is asking people who luv Dany why they love her? The thread starting with two sarcastic comments back to back is exactly why this will devolve into a typical Dany thread.

I actually don't hate Dany. I actually quite liked her, then I hatred her after Dance, mainly due to Daario. Then after some thinking about where her story is going I like her again. I like her because I think she will be an excellent villain in the end game of our series. Or actually stays in Essos, fixes her mistakes and creates a new slave free Valyria.

Her is one good take on Dany becoming a villain.

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-iv-a-darker-daenerys/

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-v-hizdahr-and-peace-or-daario-and-war/

What I hate is the members of the fandom that worship and attempt to whitewash the numerous flaws and mistakes. Ok hate is too strong of a word, they annoy me.

Also Arya has had things far worse than Dany.

Also engaging us probably isn't going to help your case.

9 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Indeed.  I am META-

Metaphoric.  Meteoric.

You supply the last adjective...

(It needs a third, don't you think..?)

IDK a Metacritic?

33 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Maybe you just amuse them with your antics.

11 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Indeed.  I am META-

Metaphoric.  Meteoric.

You supply the last adjective...

(It needs a third, don't you think..?)

A Metafictionist perhaps(I tried OK..seriously can't come up with something better). But doesn't this describe you better. You make fiction instead of theories. 

26 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

I actually don't hate Dany. I actually quite liked her, then I hatred her after Dance, mainly due to Daario. Then after some thinking about where her story is going I like her again. I like her because I think she will be an excellent villain in the end game of our series. Or actually stays in Essos, fixes her mistakes and creates a new slave free Valyria.

Her is one good take on Dany becoming a villain.

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-iv-a-darker-daenerys/

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-v-hizdahr-and-peace-or-daario-and-war/

What I hate is the members of the fandom that worship and attempt to whitewash the numerous flaws and mistakes. Ok hate is too strong of a word, they annoy me.

Also Arya has had things far worse than Dany.

Also engaging us probably isn't going to help your case.

IDK a Metacritic?

Maybe you just amuse them with your antics.

I don't really understand when you say you don't like whitewashing but you aren't commenting about people who try to do the opposite. Her mistakes are over-exaggerated by haters which annoy me. I don't believe in heroes and villains. I see people as who I could root for and who I could not. You could make a narrative where Dany is the villain already from the existing story. I would rather prefer conflicts where both sides has their reasons than one sided hero villain conflicts. Dany is a grey shaded character and anyone who deny it is a liar. I want her to continue to be rootable and have serious internal conflicts and be her own character instead of turning into a foil for some other character. 

I know there are annoying people both from her fans and her haters. I loathe some of them too especially those who twist facts.

I often find that the same people who love Sansa hate Dany.

A lot of posters here defend Sansa by saying that she's just a girl.

Well, what the hell was Dany?  She was a thirteen year old girl sold to a brutal warlord.

Before that, she had to depend on her unstable at best brother to survive.

She figures out some things along the way and tries her best.

Archived