UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

Just been an voted (first time i voted in person, usually i do postal vote). Its a labour safe seat here and I can't see that changing.

Back at my 'home' address is also a labour safe seat. I dont expect labour to lose their seat there but it was a heavy "leave" area so it will be interesting to see if that changes the vote share at all. 

54 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Did you mean that both Labour and the Tories will get close to 325? It doesn't seem possible if Labour are 6-7% behind.

Oh no, I meant the Tories would be 325 plus or minus a few seats (i.e., on either side of 325), so a narrow majority or a narrowly hung parliament.

7 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I voted early this morning, one of the first there. I'll admit I went Tory. I think I was always going to do it although there was a period where I considered labour.  It was a tricky choice, both sides have huge failings and limited upsides. In the end I went for my initial assertion that a poor majority or a labour coalition would be very bad for Brexit. 

That and the absolute venom and hatred spouted by anyone who was a labour supporter, towards anyone even considering voting Tory. Do they not see how offputting that attitude is?

I voted Conservative as well (Luton South).  I expect Labour to hold the seat, though.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Oh no, I meant the Tories would be 325 plus or minus a few seats (i.e., on either side of 325), so a narrow majority or a narrowly hung parliament.

If the Conservatives fail to win an overall majority, they are likely to remain in office if their score is greater than Labour and SNP combined.

Went for Labour, but it's a safe Tory seat here. I expect all of Dorset to remain Tory, including the one they won off the Lib Dems in 2015.

Overall, my money would be on a small Tory majority - maybe more than what they have now, maybe less, but a change small enough that Corbyn can get away with staying on as Labour leader.

Only about an hour left until the polls to close and probably only about four hours to wait for anything to actually happen other than politicians squabbling while they wait for the first results.

I did quite like this rant about the eccentricities of constituency naming, there's some fine geographical pedantry in there.

The Guardian (really my go to site for UK AND US reporting) said there would be a BBC/Sky/ITV exit poll coming out as soon as polls close and they were accurate in predicting Cameron was close to an overall majority in 2015 (an underestimate, but close). Then Sunderland in an hour, and then 2 more hours of waiting for more results. Corbyn's seat will be 4.5 hours after polls close, and his victory speech might also be an indication of which way the winds are blowing.

Luckily I will be awake for all of this so I can see some cool real time stuff.

First exit polls - 316 for the Tories!

:o

Please be accurate.

5 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Somehow I think they will still get a majority.

I think we should just save time and use the exit poll as the final result.

ETA - the exit poll seems relatively close in seat count to Yougov's constituency estimate so if the results coming in match this map then it might be an indication the exit poll is accurate https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/

2 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

SNP taking a hammering if it is true as well.

I'm guessing it would imply Labour making a comeback in some of its old Scottish heartlands. I suppose it's plausible left wing Scottish voters who voted SNP in 2015 might have thought Corbyn as PM was an enticing prospect.

I'm sceptical of this poll for many reasons. Lib Dems increasing their seats from 8 to 14, for example, seems unlikely. But it's possible, if there's been a lot of tactical voting. We shall see.

Archived