UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

Just now, Erik of Hazelfield said:

What would a hung parliament mean in practice? Would Labour, SNP and the libdems agree on trying to block any particular piece of legislation? Would May be able to retain her seat?

Two possibilities:

1) A second election. This would be a very hazardous and risky tactic by May. Next time it might just result in an overall Labour majority. If she does this, I think she'd have to go as leader (her position now might be very shaky indeed whatever happens, even if she winds up with a very moderate majority).

2) A LibDem-Tory coalition. The Tories have ruled this out, the LibDems have not. However, the consequences of the biggest party and what would be the fourth-biggest party entering into a coalition would be difficult to fathom. The Lib Dems might just end up completely destroying themselves in 2022 based on what happened last time. Given the small number of Lib Dem seats (far lower than in 2010) the benefits of a coalition for the Lib Dems would also be highly questionable. With the economy in a better state than in 2017, the immediate need for an emergency coalition is also missing.

3) A minority Tory government. This isn't going to fucking work.

On the opposite side of things, Labour can't form a majority coalition. They just don't have the numbers even with the SNP and LibDems. On the plus side, the SNP losing a significant number of seats could allow Labour to take IndyRef 2 off the table. The loss of mandate could make this palatable to Sturgeon (if a very bitter pill to swallow).

Just now, ljkeane said:

Corbyn's going to see this as a mandate to stay on as leader isn't he? Meh.

Probably, although he really should take the high road and step down to let someone else have a go. Highly unusual for a beaten leader to stay on (when did it last happen?).

2 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Probably, although he really should take the high road and step down to let someone else have a go. Highly unusual for a beaten leader to stay on (when did it last happen?).

Now I'm really puzzled. Corbyn leads the party to a great comeback and he should resign?

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now I'm really puzzled. Corbyn leads the party to a great comeback and he should resign?

Well, if (big if) the exit poll is accurate, he's done much better than expected, but still way short of being able to form a government. He lost.

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

I'm sceptical of this poll for many reasons. Lib Dems increasing their seats from 8 to 14, for example, seems unlikely. But it's possible, if there's been a lot of tactical voting. We shall see.

I know a couple of Lib Dems and they were optimistic about doubling their seat count, so gaining 6 doesn't seem too odd to me.

Corbyn will probably at least stay on until the party conference so he can get the changes to the leadership election rules passed to make it easier for his preferred successor to get on the ballot, if the exit poll is correct then it's unlikely that he could be forced out immediately 

Just now, Notone said:

Wouldn't it be hillarious, if Corbyn managed to get a minority Goverment going with the votes of Sinn Fein?

No.

On a more realistic front the Conservatives having to rely on the Irish Unionists for a majority during a time with some tension over potential border issues with Ireland might interesting.

Of the big parties? Kinnock after 1987. The Tories also seemed reasonably happy for Howard to stay on after 2005, since they achieved a better result than expected, but he stepped down on the basis of age.

The tradition of a leader quitting after an election defeat is just that, there's no need for it to happen. However, Corbyn started from a position of utterly overwhelming weakness and has brought the Tories to the edge of defeat despite having some colossal forces working against him. There is utterly no way he'd be out after this election. If he did decide to stand down, I'd start to think that age might have more to do with it.

9 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

1987 when Kinnock stayed on because he did better than Foot in 1983

10 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Kinnock in 1987, although if Labour had won in 2010 Cameron would probably have stayed on (it was tacitly accepted in 2005 that it would likely take 2 elections for the Tories to get back into power)

Britain has come up with some eccentric sports over the years, but I think the competitive ballot counting that Newcastle and Sunderland seem to be doing might be the weirdest.

3 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

I know a couple of Lib Dems and they were optimistic about doubling their seat count, so gaining 6 doesn't seem too odd to me. 

It's not too hard to come up with half a dozen seats they could gain, admittedly it's hard to find many more than that.

1 minute ago, Horse of Kent said:

Given how poor May and the Tories campaign was, a competent Labour leader would have won a landslide. This apparent implosion is all about Conservative incompetence.

True, although the election wouldn't have been called in the first place.

I'm left wondering what could have been if Labour had been united behind Corbyn this whole time.

6 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Britain has come up with some eccentric sports over the years, but I think the competitive ballot counting that Newcastle and Sunderland seem to be doing might be the weirdest.

We will crush the mackems.

Archived