UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

What would happen if there were actually a "tied" parliament?

Another election. The Lib Dems have ruled out a coalition with the Tories and the Tories can't form a majority government, and sure as hell can't survive as a minority one. That's if the figures hold. At the moment a marginal Tory majority looks a little bit more likely..

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What would happen if there were actually a "tied" parliament?

Let's say both major parties get an equal number of seats. A speaker then had to be elected from amongst the members then leaving one party down a seat.

When they said 'we've got a declaration from Washington [something Sunderland]' in a tone of urgency, my first thought was Good God, what now with Trump?

Meanwhile, the Swindon results swinging Labour as the bigger gainers.

3 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

A minority government could be possible, depending on how close the parties are to 323. Labour could probably rely on the SNP and the Tories on the DUP on many issues.

Under other circumstances, perhaps. But when trying to negotiate exit from the European Union? I just don't see how it's viable to do that in a minority government.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

We will crush the mackems.

Well played. I admire your team's ruthlessness in not letting the fact that half the candidates appeared to be missing stop the declaration going ahead.

When they said 'we've got a declaration from Washington [something Sunderland]' in a tone of urgency, my first thought was Good God, what now with Trump?

Washington is a town (and constituency) between Sunderland and Newcastle, I think George Washington's ancestors had been the local nobility at some point, so there is a connection between the names.

2 minutes ago, commiedore said:

any of you kind folks care to help me understand the finer points of this?

Gower is a marginal seat, the exit poll predicted that the conservatives would hold onto it.

Twitter rumours mean very little though. Wait for the actual results.

2 minutes ago, commiedore said:

any of you kind folks care to help me understand the finer points of this?

I'm not sure 'astonishing' is justified, I think Gower was the Tory's most marginal constituency and had been Labour for a century before that, so if Labour is doing well then it's not surprising they might win it back.

ETA - Obviously I need to type faster to compete with @Slick Mongoose

Just now, williamjm said:

I'm not sure 'astonishing' is justified, I think Gower was the Tory's most marginal constituency and had been Labour for a century before that, so if Labour is doing well then it's not surprising they might win it back.

Surprising? Maybe not the shock of the night but polling suggested the Tories holding up much better in Wales than England.

Watching David Dimbleby is positively delightful. I love seeing him shit on the audio set up of these counting stations is cracking me up.

As an American, this is very interesting, the parliamentary nature of British politics and the potential coalition politics that play into it add a layer of complexity that is highly appealing to a politics wonk like me.

1 minute ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Surprising? Maybe not the shock of the night but polling suggested the Tories holding up much better in Wales than England.

That's a good point. It did seem a bit surprising that the Exit Poll was predicting different trends for Wales and England.

I'd really like to see a Scottish result, to see whether the Exit Poll in accurate there. The Scottish political landscape is now so different that we can't really extrapolate from English results.

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

His remark about referendums was pretty funny.

We could fill the time till the next result having the old referendums/referenda argument. Always a classic.

Archived