UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

6 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

I bet Boris Johnson was hoping for something like this. He'll be getting ready for the leadership campaign.

I wonder if Micheal Gove is sharpening his knife just in case.

3 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Solid hold for Labour in Darlington.

I've lost track of how they compare to the exit poll though.

John Curtice said they were predicting a 1% swing to Labour and there was a 0.1% swing to Labour, which is relatively accurate.

Good sign for Labour that they hold the first marginal constituency to declare.

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Glory be! My new(ish) cable provider includes the BBC! I can watch the results come in!

You can watch it on Twitter as well, I believe.

If Labour wins the national vote share, but the Tories have substantially more seats (even if not a majority) will this fuel more demands for a PR system?

Yes, but nothing will happen.

I've lost track of how they compare to the exit poll though.

If the Conservatives were to win that 80-100 seat majority, Darlington was one of the seats they really needed to take. Them failing to take it suggest that the poll is, if not completely accurate, at least in the right ballpark, although of course it could be an outlier.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wow, Salmond has lost her seat for the SNP?

His. Salmond is the old SNP leader, Sturgeon is the current one.

Turnout is way down in Scotland, it seems, and that could have hurt the SNP. A lot of voters in 2015 were not regular voters, but people energised by the 2014 referendum. If they stayed home (it rained all day here), that could be a serious problem.

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Looks like the SNP is gonna take a drubbing, not really surprising considering they won a lot of those seats off the momentum of the independence referendum.

The latest excitedly-presented graphic on the BBC shows that all of the LibDems, Labour Party and the Tories could gain four to six seats each from SNP. 

Just now, Arataniello said:

The latest excitedly-presented graphic on the BBC shows that all of the LibDems, Labour Party and the Tories could gain four to six seats each from SNP. 

Yep, that's what I was going off of when I said that.

How hyped is that presenter to use his fancy map? Good to see that at least one person gets to have fun tonight.

4 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Looks like the SNP is gonna take a drubbing, not really surprising considering they won a lot of those seats off the momentum of the independence referendum.

I'm still a bit cautious given the lack hard data from Scotland. Even if the BBC prediction is right, I think it's worth pointing out the SNP would still have the majority of Scottish seats and far more than they had in any election before 2015.

Archived