UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wow, Salmond has lost her seat for the SNP?

As has been said Salmond is the old leader, Sturgeon the new. Sturgeon isn't an MP, she's an MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament.) But no Scottish seats have declared yet, this is just based on the Exit Poll.

Just now, The BlackBear said:

As has been said Salmond is the old leader, Sturgeon the new. Sturgeon isn't an MP, she's an MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament.) But no Scottish seats have declared yet, this is just based on the Exit Poll.

That said, it is looking like the SNP leader in Westminster Angus Robertson is gonna lose his seat, so that would be a blow to the SNP

Knowing little about UK politics, I have to ask a dumb question - if UKIP are getting eviscerated, it must be because the Tories have started toying with xenophobia? At least that's how it is here - the supposedly moderate conservative parties prevent bleeding to far-right parties by having a couple of aggressive, high-profile xenophobes creating sensationalist headlines once in a while. So did the Tories grab the racists, or did the racists just sit this one out?

Just now, The BlackBear said:

That woman speaking elvish really slows up the declaration.

Just be grateful it was Sindarin and not Quenyan.  Or indeed, Entish.

Just now, denstorebog said:

Knowing little about UK politics, I have to ask a dumb question - if UKIP are getting eviscerated, it must be because the Tories have started toying with xenophobia? At least that's how it is here - the supposedly moderate conservative parties prevent bleeding to far-right parties by having a couple of aggressive xenophobes creating sensationalist headlines once in a while. So did the Tories grab the racists, or did the racists just sit this one out?

BIt of both, and some of them will have gone Labour.

They've won their battle, we're leaving the EU, both major parties are committed to leaving the EU with stricter controls on immigration. This election is now about public services, the qualities of the leaders etc. And less about migration, therefore the UKIP vote has collapsed and plenty of those voters are actually natural working class Labour voters.

Just now, denstorebog said:

Knowing little about UK politics, I have to ask a dumb question - if UKIP are getting eviscerated, it must be because the Tories have started toying with xenophobia? At least that's how it is here - the supposedly moderate conservative parties prevent bleeding to far-right parties by having a couple of aggressive xenophobes creating sensationalist headlines once in a while. So did the Tories grab the racists, or did the racists just sit this one out?

as little as i know about UK politics myself, i got the impression ukip's losses are probably due more to post-brexit, as that was ostensibly their thing (the racism was a bonus)

1 minute ago, denstorebog said:

Knowing little about UK politics, I have to ask a dumb question - if UKIP are getting eviscerated, it must be because the Tories have started toying with xenophobia? At least that's how it is here - the supposedly moderate conservative parties prevent bleeding to far-right parties by having a couple of aggressive, high-profile xenophobes creating sensationalist headlines once in a while. So did the Tories grab the racists, or did the racists just sit this one out?

Very early to say.  UKIP voters are deserting UKIP because the job has been done - with Brexit now going on. It is being debated on TV (BBC) about whether the UKIP voters were either disillusioned Labour or right wing Tories, and are now returning to their 'true' allegiance.

2 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Is that the first gain of the night? Labour gain from SNP.

This might suggest the Exit Poll really is accurate in Scotland. The Tory vote did seem to rise a lot in that constituency, ironically they may have contributed to Labour winning that seat.

On the other hand the early Welsh result seem better for Labour than the Exit Poll suggested, so I'm not really sure what exactly to expect.

7 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Is that the first gain of the night? Labour gain from SNP.

More gains being unofficially reported by BBC now.  Didn't catch where they were, but included Labour taking Sheffield from Nick Clegg (who is having almost as bad a couple of years as David Cameron).

Archived