UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ok, I'm going to bed too. The Labour party was just declared the winner in a seat which means the Conservatives have no hope of a majority. A hung parliament, officially.

hell yeah... to paraphrase a certain someone: "we hang your parliaments from lamp posts, bitches"

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can anybody who knows the area explain why Brighton always vote so strongly Green?  

The increased majority could in part be tactical voting? Green was the biggest non-tory option, so tactical voting says vote for her. No idea beyond that though, local candidate stuff maybe?

Brighton has historically been a lodestone for free thinkers and a whole raft of minority groups, so it's a natural home base for the Greens. They have become even stronger in this election as the Lib Dems didn't run a candidate and turnout was higher.

3 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Plaid Cymru are less about "independence now!" and more about more autonomy and language funding. Which makes them less contentious than the SNP. 

Yup. I always voted plaid when I lived in Wales. 

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm guessing the Tories get the still to be declared Cornwall seats. What about the other three, where are they going?

I'm hoping the Lib Dems hold on in Richmond Park, because Zac Goldsmith is an arse who doesn't deserve to regain his seat. Kensington will likely be Tory, and Dudley North could go either way.

Also, there's 7 Sinn Fein MPs (the SDLP have been wiped out), so 322 is the magic number for a working majority, which means Tories + DUP are already there.

Goldsmith has won with a huge majority of 45.

It's weird to think that there was only 1 hung parliament between 1945-2010, and now we have had two in three elections. Good work, Mrs May. You turned a relatively strong position into a virtually untenable one.

They already did 3 counts for that I thought I heard on the Beeb coverage - or at least 3. It was said during the coverage that a third count was underway due to how close it had been.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

So a hung parliament is basically the worst of all worlds, the result I really feared. I know a lot of people are celebrating a Tory failure, I find it very funny just how terrible May has been, but this now throws the country into chaos and puts Brexit negotiations in massive jeopardy. 

Well, blame the Tories and May for that. Their greed and hybris made them think they could increase their majority, instead of negotiating Brexit and calling for an election after. Instead, they were hoist by their own petard. I'd call that an ironic development. And entirely deserved, given how they campaigned on nothing but the personal favorability of a prime minister who had not proven to be any good at her job, anyway.

1 minute ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

Well, blame the Tories and May for that. Their greed and hybris made them think they could increase their majority, instead of negotiating Brexit and calling for an election after. Instead, they were hoist by their own petard. I'd call that an ironic development. And entirely deserved, given how they campaigned on nothing but the personal favorability of a prime minister who had not proven to be any good at her job, anyway.

I'm pretty sure this kind of unfair vitriol is why people vote Tory!

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fife north east won by 2 votes. Anyone know the rules on limit of recounts and how they ensure accuracy after the first count?

My local constituency. One of those 2 votes was me. :P

Just now, theguyfromtheVale said:

They campaigned on the strength of a real life Nicola Murray hoping to get a bundle deal on a domestic and international policy mandate. Hard to feel bad.

I do blame the tories, this is exactly as incompetent as the decision to allow a Brexit vote in the first place. In some ways you'd be glad they aren't in charge of negotiations as they don't seem to have a clue about anything.

But i just wish people would have considered this outcome before voting. Everything during this election has been so emotional and full of vile, nobody ever sits and thinks what the outcome could have been. Everyone jumping on the labour bandwagon couldn't possibly have thought that they would get a big majority , so of course we'd end up in this situation.

Just now, mormont said:

My local constituency. One of those 2 votes was me. :P

I remember back in 2001 when the Lib Dems won Cheadle by 33 votes, I must have met about 60 people who claimed to be one of them :P

I wasn't, because I was only 17 at the time.

Archived