UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I do blame the tories, this is exactly as incompetent as the decision to allow a Brexit vote in the first place. In some ways you'd be glad they aren't in charge of negotiations as they don't seem to have a clue about anything.

But i just wish people would have considered this outcome before voting. Everything during this election has been so emotional and full of vile, nobody ever sits and thinks what the outcome could have been. Everyone jumping on the labour bandwagon couldn't possibly have thought that they would get a big majority , so of course we'd end up in this situation.

Well, but why do the Tories, of all people, deserve the benefit of the doubt on any of this after pulling two idiotic stunts in a row? Like, why would anybody think they'd make for good negotiators when it should have become clear by now that they0re not interested in the best for the country but only their own internal squabbles, which they try to solve by asking the public for a mandate? This would have never worked, and May's apparent naiveté on Brexit negotiations was just the cherry on top of all that.

Oh my word, the first thing I see this morning is a picture of Theresa May next to a Lord Buckethead. I swear to God, reality is stranger than fiction all the time.

Anyhow, it looks to my untrained eyes that the Tories are falling a bit short of any sort of majority what so ever, the commentators are all over the place and nobody really knows what is going to happen. Is this an accurate description?

Also it rather made me want to get drunk, which I suspect could also be an accurate reaction.

1 minute ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Oh my word, the first thing I see this morning is a picture of Theresa May next to a Lord Buckethead. I swear to God, reality is stranger than fiction all the time.

Anyhow, it looks to my untrained eyes that the Tories are falling a bit short of any sort of majority what so ever, the commentators are all over the place and nobody really knows what is going to happen. Is this an accurate description?

Also it rather made me want to get drunk, which I suspect could also be an accurate reaction.

It's a likely Tory minority government, propped up by the Democratic Unionists, and bizarrely reliant on Scotland.

Basically, a softer Brexit, and "Protestant Pork for Protestant People".

15 minutes ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

Well, but why do the Tories, of all people, deserve the benefit of the doubt on any of this after pulling two idiotic stunts in a row? Like, why would anybody think they'd make for good negotiators when it should have become clear by now that they0re not interested in the best for the country but only their own internal squabbles, which they try to solve by asking the public for a mandate? This would have never worked, and May's apparent naiveté on Brexit negotiations was just the cherry on top of all that.

Well given what I heard from meetings with some Brit officials a few weeks back, everyone is frantically going through negotiation training because the UK hasn't negotiated international agreements in decades. So regardless of who is in power the UK actually doesn't have any skilled and experienced negotiators right now. It's a mess.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

Well given what I heard from meetings with some Brit officials a few weeks back, everyone is frantically going through negotiation training because the UK hasn't negotiated international agreements in decades. So regardless of who is in power the UK actually doesn't have any skilled and experienced negotiators right now. It's a mess.

Sure. I'm just baffled by the bold assertion that only the Tories can negotiate Brexit well when... they've shown to be terrible negotiators amongst themselves and keep pulling stunts to increase their power at the expense of the British people.

I'm not sure anyone is saying only the tories can do negotiations. However if every single decision takes months to decide on and is argued over with back and forth because of no clear majority then there is going to absolute chaos. This is the worst of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. 

It could get worse if we have to have yet another election as well.

Im almost of a mind to suspect this was a ploy by May to cancel Brexit , putting her own reputation down the toilet to do it! :)

Tories held a Brexit gun to people's heads and sauntered around like they had a sure thing cause Corbyn was as electable as a mop, while missing the fact that both their own electoral performance  and the little we've seen on Brexit weren't really the slam dunks they appeared. And the electorate are the ones that didn't think it through? 

At a certain point the fuck-up has to be placed at the feet of the people fucking up. If the May had run an incredible campaign it would also probably be easier to feel bad. 

I guess now we  know how Trump voters felt? 

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm not sure anyone is saying only the tories can do negotiations. However if every single decision takes months to decide on and is argued over with back and forth because of no clear majority then there is going to absolute chaos. This is the worst of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. 

It could get worse if we have to have yet another election as well.

Im almost of a mind to suspect this was a ploy by May to cancel Brexit , putting her own reputation down the toilet to do it! :)

Nah, the Submarine only surfaces when she thinks she can score some points, this was pure hubris.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well, if this is the case, we in America have a great negotiator, maybe the best in the world we can give them. He'll totally negotiate a good deal for Britain, and he will do it bigly, because he has the best words, and he knows the art of the deal

That last bit may have been a bit on the nose.

It is going to be absolutely hilarious watching the PLP crawl back to Corbyn, begging for forgiveness.

I think the greatest loser out of this wasn't even May. It was Tony Blair. He's just had the foundation of the entire New Labour project, complete with the myth of 1983, destroyed.

3 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You need to read some posts a few pages back to get the context.

I've read all the posts thanks, and my question stands, especially as relating to the post Karadin quoted as being unfair and vitriolic

1 minute ago, Which Tyler said:

I've read all the posts thanks, and my question stands, especially as relating to the post Karadin quoted as being unfair and vitriolic

It was a joke, in reference to claims made that some people are voting conservative because they feel that the left villify conservatives too harshly.

32 minutes ago, Castel said:

Tories held a Brexit gun to people's heads and sauntered around like they had a sure thing cause Corbyn was as electable as a mop, while missing the fact that both their own electoral performance  and the little we've seen on Brexit weren't really the slam dunks they appeared. And the electorate are the ones that didn't think it through? 

At a certain point the fuck-up has to be placed at the feet of the people fucking up. If the May had run an incredible campaign it would also probably be easier to feel bad. 

I guess now we  know how Trump voters felt? 

Unless we have a situation like Brexit where we claim nobody knew what it is they were voting for (eyeroll) , then I can only assume that the population of this country thought a tiny majority or a hung parliament was a good thing. Of course May has to be strung up for this, but yes people should take responsibility for their votes. 

I voted Tory. I don't like the Tories. I could see this happening but I was put into a position where I had to think about the best outcome. This is the worst outcome.

3 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

It was a joke, in reference to claims made that some people are voting conservative because they feel that the left villify conservatives too harshly.

Sorry, I did miss that then, blame sleep deprivation

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Unless we have a situation like Brexit where we claim nobody knew what it is they were voting for (eyeroll) , then I can only assume that the population of this country thought a tiny majority or a hung parliament was a good thing. Of course May has to be strung up for this, but yes people should take responsibility for their votes. 

I voted Tory. I don't like the Tories. I could see this happening but I was put into a position where I had to think about the best outcome. This is the worst outcome.

At least now us Americans can take comfort knowing that we're not the only dumpster fire in the West.

C4's JS

I see your point, and have a lot of sympathy for it, as I did before last night.

However... IMO a decent Tory majority would have ended the Brexit negotiations with no deal, a hung parliament makes "no deal" a little more likely, but that could change if May steps down or is removed as PM. (Basically, the only personality type worse at negotiating a compromise than an authoritarian is a deluded, hubristic authoritarian).

Equally, IMO, a decent Tory majority would have been a disaster for the UK in every aspect of politics which isn't Brexit negotiations.

Either way, I expect another election by Christmas.

Archived