UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

13 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Unless we have a situation like Brexit where we claim nobody knew what it is they were voting for (eyeroll) , then I can only assume that the population of this country thought a tiny majority or a hung parliament was a good thing. Of course May has to be strung up for this, but yes people should take responsibility for their votes. 

I voted Tory. I don't like the Tories. I could see this happening but I was put into a position where I had to think about the best outcome. This is the worst outcome.

Or maybe people took responsibility for their votes and as a result refused to lie back and think of Brexit.

Just now, Which Tyler said:

C4's JS

I see your point, and have a lot of sympathy for it, as I did before last night.

However... IMO a decent Tory majority would have ended the Brexit negotiations with no deal, a hung parliament makes "no deal" a little more likely, but that could change if May steps down or is removed as PM

Equally, IMO, a decent Tory majority would have been a disaster for the UK in every aspect of politics which isn't Brexit negotiations.

Either way, I expect another election by Christmas.

To be honest I never believed that. I still don't. Those words were about negotiations. That people took them at face value is part of the problem of how the Tories conducted this election. I think they were essentially playing the game correctly in this way in so far as how you face the EU, but when it comes to an election it was a mistake, which is another reason why she should never have called one. 

13 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

It was a joke, in reference to claims made that some people are voting conservative because they feel that the left villify conservatives too harshly.

Thanks Liff, I can see how sleep deprivation could lead to the confusion though. Helpfully its been through my work day that the election results were coming up, so no sleep deprivation for me!

In case its not clear from joking about it, I find the idea that one would vote Tory because of the 'vitriol' of left supporters utterly ridiculous, not just because that's a bad justification for voting but because its not just the media that were vitriolic towards Corbyn but the Tories themselves. I have vague recollections of the sort of thing that was being said when he was first elected leader and *that* was vitriolic. Pointing out that people might be upset with the Tories because their policies are literally killing people that get cut off from welfare isn't vitriol, because its simple fact.

If you think that the performance of this government has been lacklustre at this point, then surely one could just as easily blame conservative voters for the situation, I highly doubt that people were voting Labour in hope of a hung parliament that would be unhappy with an actual Labour win.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

To be honest I never believed that. I still don't. Those words were about negotiations. That people took them at face value is part of the problem of how the Tories conducted this election. I think they were essentially playing the game correctly in this way in so far as how you face the EU, but when it comes to an election it was a mistake, which is another reason why she should never have called one. 

For most politicians, I'd agree. For May though... Basically, see my edit from the same time as you posted - I don't think May knows the meaning of the word "compromise" and that lack is what would kill any negotiation

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

In case its not clear from joking about it, I find the idea that one would vote Tory because of the 'vitriol' of left supporters utterly ridiculous, not just because that's a bad justification for voting but because its not just the media that were vitriolic towards Corbyn but the Tories themselves. I have vague recollections of the sort of thing that was being said when he was first elected leader and *that* was vitriolic. Pointing out that people might be upset with the Tories because their policies are literally killing people that get cut off from welfare isn't vitriol, because its simple fact.

The vitriol didn't change my opinion much, it didn't help though. I still find it quite embarrassing the way some people have behaved in this election. Its worth point out the hypocrisy of this behaviour. 

8 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Thanks Liff, I can see how sleep deprivation could lead to the confusion though. Helpfully its been through my work day that the election results were coming up, so no sleep deprivation for me!

Yep, sorry, it's my bad; makes perfect sense once explained.

My only defence is 2 hours of disturbed sleep, and trying to keep track of elections conversations in 4 different locations

Archived