Incidents in London

HexMachina

19 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

As for the perp. being arrested - that's typically what happens here; from all accounts the perpetrator was dragged out of his van by the pedestrians, who started giving him a slap or two until the Imam came out and took control of the situation, and they just sat on him until the police arrived.

Sorry for quoting myself; but I've only just realised that I didn't actually write this:

Fantastic self-restraint from the lot of them; and huge kudos to the Imam... and the crowd for following him.

4 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Sorry for quoting myself; but I've only just realised that I didn't actually write this:

Fantastic self-restraint from the lot of them; and huge kudos to the Imam... and the crowd for following him.

Some onlookers described the guy as 'indifferent' and saying he wanted to kill some muslims. Its really impressive how restrained they all were. I wonder if that is because they got him down so easily? Possibly because there hasn't been the same level of attacks towards muslims. If the situation were different and it was an islamic attack I doubt there would be that restraint.

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

And the media attempts to erase the fact that this too is terrorism is well under way, whether by downplaying what happened, eg "a van knocked down some people" or by making it sound like the van itself had agency and ignoring the man driving it, eg "a van knocked down some people". Clearly the first piece I saw doing this managed to be an example of both.

So far as I can tell, most media have described it as a terrorist attack.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Some onlookers described the guy as 'indifferent' and saying he wanted to kill some muslims. Its really impressive how restrained they all were. I wonder if that is because they got him down so easily? Possibly because there hasn't been the same level of attacks towards muslims. If the situation were different and it was an islamic attack I doubt there would be that restraint.

The bolded section is rather telling, don't ya think?

3 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

In what way?

...that a lot of people seem terrified of Muslims, when they acted far better in this instance than non-Muslims might have done toward an Islamic terrorist? I'm not saying that's necessarily true, it's just what you posted.

Its worth reflecting on just how crucial this intervention might have been, if the wrong guy had got hold of him and killed him, and then the media got the wrong part of the story and reported initially as a attack by a Muslim.....well, I don't want to think how that might have unfolded.

11 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah most of the headlines I've seen so far have absolutely labelled this a terrorist attack, there doesn't seem to be anyone really treating this differently than other attacks, which is a good thing. 

I'm sure the reporting on this will be different anyway, as for once, we now have someone in custody who will end up going to trial.

Basically yes. It's potentially contempt of court to describe the person in custody as a terrorist prior to charging and to the outcome of a trial. It's not contempt of court to describe the incident as an incident of terrorism (I think).

With so many vehicle-based terrorist attacks over the past year I lean towards believing it would be worth banning vehicles from city centres without a permit (residency, working permit etc) from 6am-midnight. At the worst we would make the air more breathable.

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Most media not herein the US, where no one seems to give two shits. :(

I said this on another forum, but its times like these I start to understand where Ultron was coming from.

I am seeing numerous people jump to the conclusion that the media is treating this event differently than were it an ISIS inspired attack. Here in the UK I certainly don't think thats the case, every outlet has been very careful as to how they treat it, there is a lot of sensitivity around the issue. Yet there are those who almost want to jump on their high horse and make wild assumptions and complain about islamaphobia.

Having said that, I do think its worth treating the incidents differently, because they are different. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident, by someone who was acting completely alone and seems to be by all accounts quite a disturbed individual.

Maybe thats one of the reasons its been less talked about in the US, it doesn't fit in with a lot of other stories and isn't another piece in the big story.

6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Having said that, I do think its worth treating the incidents differently, because they are different. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident, by someone who was acting completely alone and seems to be by all accounts quite a disturbed individual.

Yeah, there's no 1400 year old religion that prescribes fantastic rewards for the killing of Muslims. That's not to say that this event is any less deplorable than say the London Bridge incident or any other incident of Islamist terror, but is clearly different.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, there's no 1400 year old religion that prescribes fantastic rewards for the killing of Muslims. That's not to say that this event is any less deplorable than say the London Bridge incident or any other incident of Islamist terror, but is clearly different.

More like 2017 years old?

14 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Apparently the guy was living in a tent and was very mentally disturbed. I doubt we will be seeing a rise in Christian religious violence anytime soon. 

Archived