Who did Robb name as his heir?

Agent 326

Was it Jon?

Was it Bran/ Rickon?

Was it Sansa?

Was it a seed in Jeyne Westerling's womb?

Was it Catelyn?

Was it Edmure?

Was it one of the lordlings in the Vale?

Was it Harrion Karstark?

Feel free to debate away.

If you want to know my opinion I think it was Jon, because I don't think Cat would have been a good choice, Robb doesn't know that Bran/ Rickon are still alive, Harrion is a hostage and is a Karstark who just committed treason, Robb rejects the Lordling idea, why name Sansa when it means the North becomes Tyrion's, Edmure still doesn't seem right and we don't know if Jeyne is actually pregnant (personally I do because it make the North messy and a lot more fun to read about in TWOW).

It was Cat. She was the only person other than Jon who met Robb's criteria and she thinks about how Robb "trapped" her. And unlike Jon, she can maintain the stark Tully alliance. And lo and behold, she ends up with his crown. Besides, Jon is in the Night's Watch, and many northerners would have viewed him as an oath breaker in addition to being a bastard.

You are missing someone from your list. The second most likely choice as well.

Most likely it is Jon, but the only other probable option is that Arya is heir if she returns and Jon if she does not. It would fit with LS' determination to find her and the recovery of Robb's crown from the Freys.

It was Jon Snow.

There's a better part of a chapter devoted exclusively to the topic of Robb's possible heirs. Robb's siblings were either presumed dead, MIA, or married to Tyrion Lannister, and Eddard Stark's natural son was the next best thing. The cousins in the Vale were mentioned (and rejected), and that's it. All other candidatures are made up stuff not present in the books.

Probably Catelyn but it doesn't matter because Robb could not "will" the north as the land was not his to give.  It is for the monarch on the iron throne to decide such matters.  Robb was a feudal lord who answered to his monarch and governed the land on behalf of the monarch.  The Starks bent the knee to Aegon and that forever ended their right to claim themselves the ruler of the north. 

4 hours ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

It was Cat. She was the only person other than Jon who met Robb's criteria and she thinks about how Robb "trapped" her. And unlike Jon, she can maintain the stark Tully alliance. And lo and behold, she ends up with his crown. Besides, Jon is in the Night's Watch, and many northerners would have viewed him as an oath breaker in addition to being a bastard.

I honestly think that Robb told Cat about this was just so that we as an audience know about this. Also Cat would be a horrible choice, he just wanted to know her thoughts about naming Jon. Also Cat would be the worst choice ever, first she might throw herself from the towers in Riverrun, but also attempt to get peace and get Sansa back at all costs. And why not just send her back to Seagard right away.

I don't think Robb would name a Tully heir anyway, regardless of her Stark marriage she has no Stark blood and would have to remarry anyway to have an heir, he'd basically be handing the Stark lineage and kingdom away to another bloodline. Jon despite being a bastard is the acknowledged son of Eddard Stark, that blood is enough to convince me that Robb would name no other person his heir. The only other real option is Sansa and we know his thoughts on that.  

4 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

It was Jon Snow.

There's a better part of a chapter devoted exclusively to the topic of Robb's possible heirs. Robb's siblings were either presumed dead, MIA, or married to Tyrion Lannister, and Eddard Stark's natural son was the next best thing. The cousins in the Vale were mentioned (and rejected), and that's it. All other candidatures are made up stuff not present in the books.

This. Jon has a pretty lengthy discussion with maester aemon as well about choosing. And LC Mormont tells Jon that Aemon could have been a king, but refused the crown. Pretty telling stuff

6 hours ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

I've always wondered about this. Assuming for a moment that the Grand Northern Conspiracy is true and almost everyone is working to crown Jon, it has always bothered the Northerners were just cool with him betraying his vows even if Robb did release him especially considering how important the NW is supposedly to the North. Seems like there would at least be some muttering about it even if they accepted it.

To the OP, Jon is really the only one who makes sense. He thought all his brothers and sisters were dead so no point in willing it to them. If there is a baby, WF would go to the baby anyway by law so no point in willing it to the baby. Edmure was already Lord to Riverrun and he had no Stark blood. He wasn't going to will to a random Vale lord. And Karstark was definitely out since he had just killed Rickard. Cat maybe, but then you a problem later on because she eventually going to die with no children (for what Robb knew) and even if she had more children, they wouldn't be Starks.

from Ferocious Veldt Roarer:

It was Jon Snow.

Right. We don't need to "speculate"; it's right there in the text. And, as an added note, Sansa Lannister was removed from the line of succession entirely. Robb had multiple copies made of the document, signed and witnessed, and sent one copy to Oldtown on the same ship that carried Theon back "home" to the Iron Isles.

1 hour ago, zandru said:

Robb had multiple copies made of the document, signed and witnessed, and sent one copy to Oldtown on the same ship that carried Theon back "home" to the Iron Isles.

I read ASOS - Catelyn V again and didn't find any evidence of multiple copies, nor that a copy was sent to Oldtown.

Could you please provide a source?

Brandon Stark was considered to be Robb's heir. 

And so long he returns, it doesn't matter whom Robb called his heir in his will. 

9 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

You are missing someone from your list. The second most likely choice as well.

Most likely it is Jon, but the only other probable option is that Arya is heir if she returns and Jon if she does not. It would fit with LS' determination to find her and the recovery of Robb's crown from the Freys.

Sorry

9 minutes ago, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

I believe he was hoping to get his wife pregnant, and Cat becoming regent would be the best way to protect his child.

Would it though? Honestly we saw how Cat acted after Robb's death. She started tearing at her face. Also why name Cat and not someone like Wyman Manderly or Edmure Tully or Brynden Tully or what the hell if Steveron Frey didn't die he would've been an option, or Howland Reed or Galbart Glover or so many others who would have the respect that Cat wouldn't have and could agree with Robb. My personal choice would be Brynden Tully because he is a skilled warrior, battle commander and isn't the complete idiot that Cat is.

Archived