TTTNE 470: Spam like it's 2007!

Buckwheat

41 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Friday. Is that good or bad? I spent my day proofreading, ironing and baking. I have such an adventurous life. Let me hear about other spammers' adventures instead.

Whatever is wrong with baking? :dunno: 

It is known that I'm a boring person, I don't have any adventures to share. I don't even have an oven to bake in, so appreciate the baking. 

Don't mind me, it's a moody rhaenys day. 

I still have that stupid issue on my mind from yesterday, I have this wedding I really don't want to go to, I have a sore throat and Prince William is really sick too. We'll take him back to the vet on Monday... 

The animals... the animals... it's finally time to resolve that cliffhanger :drool: 

11 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I read the first two books, it was torture. Fortunately by the time the third one came out my sister was less obsessed with YA and didn't make me read it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Oh god don't remind me, what was the freaking point of that? It was so so so so bad. The only bit I liked was young jack, not so much for jack but that puzzle piece about how he became captain and acquired all the stupid stuff he wears. 

That's settled then, I definitely won't read them :P

Spoiler

Young Jack was alright, the reveal of why he was called 'Sparrow' was kind of forced though.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Friday. Is that good or bad? I spent my day proofreading, ironing and baking. I have such an adventurous life. Let me hear about other spammers' adventures instead.

Cause i am done with my graceless heart so tonight i'm going to cut it out and then restart

10 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Whatever is wrong with baking? :dunno: 

It is known that I'm a boring person, I don't have any adventures to share. I don't even have an oven to bake in, so appreciate the baking. 

Don't mind me, it's a moody rhaenys day. 

I still have that stupid issue on my mind from yesterday, I have this wedding I really don't want to go to, I have a sore throat and Prince William is really sick too. We'll take him back to the vet on Monday... 

Nothing is wrong with baking.

Lots of fun at the wedding. Weddings are nice.

And good luck to Prince William.

10 hours ago, First of My Name said:

The animals... the animals... it's finally time to resolve that cliffhanger :drool: 

That's settled then, I definitely won't read them :P

Reveal hidden contents

Young Jack was alright, the reveal of why he was called 'Sparrow' was kind of forced though.

Spoiler

Yeah, I agree, that was a stretch. But I liked the captain part, the hat and his little accessories. 

You know that feeling when you are out of uni and unemployed and then you look through job ads and then you set the search according to your career goals and then then some job sites do not even have the category you want to work and in some, they have it, but then you always get the note "there are currently no openings for your profile"?

Yes, that. Grrrrr.

I am so annoyed and scared and useless and don't know what to do, spammers. :(

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

You know that feeling when you are out of uni and unemployed and then you look through job ads and then you set the search according to your career goals and then then some job sites do not even have the category you want to work and in some, they have it, but then you always get the note "there are currently no openings for your profile"?

Yes, that. Grrrrr.

Apply for jobs you don't want. It's depressing and soul crushing but at least they exist.

I'm not entirely joking but for a less cynical comment, PM me if you want to talk about that because I'm in a similar situation 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Apply for jobs you don't want. It's depressing and soul crushing but at least they exist.

For a few more years, anyway; automation is approaching the point where we should soon be living in a post-work utopia of unlimited free time, though without major changes to how the economy works it's likely to end up more towards the dystopian end of the scale.

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Yes, that. Grrrrr.

Just calm down. Stressing and panicking about this situation won't sort it out, it will only make you feel worse. 

Are you going to end up on the street if you don't get a job in a week or a month? My guess is not. So it's not the end of the world not to find a job right away. 

First off, the decision you have to make is what's more important, to find a job asap or find the right job?

If finding a job asap is your top priority, you should do what Helena said, in a less drastic way. You should start exploring opportunities that aren't strictly speaking what you want to do, but maybe related to it in subject. Or companies where you know you would have the chance to do what you want in case of a vacancy, and apply for different positions. You should try finding opportunities in areas that aren't related to your studies, but to a hobby or other skill you have, say, I know you (used to) tap dance, so see if tap dancing societies need help, or you like books, so check out book store vacancies (admin positions or junior communication or PR positions)

If finding the right job is the most important thing to do, stick this time out and make the most of it, go to every professional event there is, work shops, fairs, brunches, talk to people. Email your uni teachers and ask if they can recommend you positions/organizations/contacts, check those out. In your free time develop another skill (E.g. IT skills). 

And don't forget, we've all been there, in fact, some of us still are, and it's only temporary. 

Just my thoughts for your consideration to with as you please. (And you are probably already doing all of these, but just in case) 

13 hours ago, felice said:

For a few more years, anyway; automation is approaching the point where we should soon be living in a post-work utopia of unlimited free time, though without major changes to how the economy works it's likely to end up more towards the dystopian end of the scale.

By a few we mean at least 20-30? I mean I don't see that coming any sooner.

There. I went and sent an application for a job that is not in exactly what I want to do, but I might just as well do it. So adult. <_<

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Just calm down. Stressing and panicking about this situation won't sort it out, it will only make you feel worse.

I know. I stress way too much because I feel so insecure about all this shit.

Am going to answer to the rest in PM.

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

By a few we mean at least 20-30? I mean I don't see that coming any sooner.

Perhaps. I wouldn't care to put an exact timeframe on it, and it's a gradual change that's already in progress, not something that will happen overnight.

10 hours ago, felice said:

Perhaps. I wouldn't care to put an exact timeframe on it, and it's a gradual change that's already in progress, not something that will happen overnight.

Sure, there's no exact time frame, I just don't see that happening too soon, overnight or gradually.  But then even if it happens to the advanced part of the world, it'll be an extra 20 years for that to treacle down to us. So nope, I personally don't see that kind of luxury in my future. 

5 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Sure, there's no exact time frame, I just don't see that happening too soon, overnight or gradually.  But then even if it happens to the advanced part of the world, it'll be an extra 20 years for that to treacle down to us. So nope, I personally don't see that kind of luxury in my future. 

Automation's coming faster than you think. By 2019 three companies are going to start pilot automated trucks program. Trucking industry provides the maximum blue collar jobs in America. People thinking the mining situation is bad have no idea what's coming.

Also, I highly doubt automation is going to lead to some sort of utopia with better lives for everyone. The biggest flaw in this premise being the presumption that people will utilise this post-work time productively , for have any sort of productive contribution to make in the first place.

10 minutes ago, The King in Black said:

Automation's coming faster than you think. By 2019 three companies are going to start pilot automated trucks program. Trucking industry provides the maximum blue collar jobs in America. People thinking the mining situation is bad have no idea what's coming.

Also, I highly doubt automation is going to lead to some sort of utopia with better lives for everyone. The biggest flaw in this premise being the presumption that people will utilise this post-work time productively , for have any sort of productive contribution to make in the first place.

Long time ahead in a continent far far away. nah, automation is coming here too, just much slower I think. Also, at this point, there's an insane shortage of blue collar workers here. But who knows what's to come in two years or five. 

You know what I want to live to see? Pos terminals on buses. That's not such a huge thing, we could get that in the matter of years. That would be cool. 

Yeah, and who can tell what everybody is going to do with all that extra time...? 

8 hours ago, The King in Black said:

The whole point is that people won't have to be productive any more if they don't want to. The big problem is resource allocation; in theory, we should have a universal basic income that lets everyone live comfortably, but in practise we'll probably hang on to the current system for much too long and have unemployment and poverty levels that make the Great Depression look like a picnic. :commie:

2 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

I'm learning more about the job market here than I do at school.

Good, schooling should only be the base of your knowledge, you should pursue as much as you can outside of school to ensure you are fully informed in areas that are relevant or of interest to you. You should know basic stuff about the labour market from school, depending on what subjects you study. But there is really no substitute to keeping up to date with news articles and various other bits. Read the news every day, and not just the headlines. There's almost always stuff about jobs and the economy, but it's not flashy so it's not the big headline

Archived