TTTNE 470: Spam like it's 2007!

Buckwheat

4 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Yes we've found somewhere and we're going ahead, I cannot wait to leave London, although we're going to be within very safe commuting distance to be fair.

Great news! I hope it all works out for you.

I liked the life I lived in London but not necessarily living there. I think my ideal would be to live at a nice commute distance, as you have chosen, to get the access to the lifestyle but have a better quality of home life. 

Of course for that's one needs to have a job :P:rolleyes:  (I may have found something on that front...watch this space...)

On 9/3/2017 at 3:03 AM, Ashara_Dayne said:

Yeh we got lucky in the insane housing market (long story, interest rates are artificially being kept on historic low) and bought a grown up people house. It's way cheaper than renting in our city, and it is kind of nice not to throw your money to a corporation but have something left of it at the end. 

We're doing wood laminate. Did that on the ground floor and first floor too. It's something we're both good at and it looks lovely. I'm not sure if it's a normal thing outside our country, but when you buy or rent a new home, it will be given to you in shell form. It will not have floors or paint and walls are either unfinished or you have to scrape decades old wallpaper off first and then finish the walls. So basically every single one of us becomes quite good at diy because we've been doing it since the day we started studying and all our friends did too XD

So you moving again as well? Or already moved? It's such a hassle. Hopefully you'll be happy with it once there's progress. Our summer is at it's end, but I take it yours is not? For the garden, meh, there's always next year. 

I've never heard of anything like that - stripping a home down before selling. That could be both good or bad depending on the state of the home prior, I would think. I wish I had the skill set to install my own flooring. That would have made a lot more houses much more appealing. We avoided buying many at a lower cost because they had carpet. I really do not like carpet. Not with kids, pets and asthma. Plus there is great satisfaction in doing something yourself the way you like. I take care of some diy things but not all. 

We moved last month to the Phoenix area. A great many Californians are moving here. But hubs had been working here since last November and the commute was just too much and it's so much cheaper here. Our home is twice as big and we made substantial equity in the sale of our old home (which btw - the plumbing backed up and burst and was a nightmare two weeks before closing the sale. It was insane). Lil O is in a good public school so no more private school tuition. Honestly, I don't miss CA at all but that may change the longer I am here, but hopefully not. 

On 9/3/2017 at 6:34 AM, Buckwheat said:

I am envious of your problems, ladies. ;) It does not look like I will be moving anywhere any time soon ... *sigh* Stupid academic drive pushing me into applying for a PhD and part-time unreliable exploitative teaching jobs instead of settling for something less intellectually demanding and slightly more stable ... *not sure which emoticon to use here*

It is actually very easy, the stupid part is just putting plastic foil over everything and taping it down to prevent the paint from dropping everywhere, but the actual painting is just that, pushing the paintbrush/that wheel thingy over the wall. In my family, we did it ourselves.

Some of my most fun holiday memories are from when we painted the basement at my aunt's house in green and pink.

I am envious of your drive to get the Ph.D - I wish you all the best success. Dr. Buck does have a satisfying ring to it!

On 9/3/2017 at 7:26 AM, Lord Sidious said:

I sympathise, moving is so stressful!, I'm going to be moving in the next couple of months myself, packing up our house will be a nightmare, I think I'm just going to leave it to the professionals.

For some reason I thought you lived in southern California. No idea why I thought that. 

On 9/3/2017 at 7:26 AM, Lord Sidious said:

I sympathise, moving is so stressful!, I'm going to be moving in the next couple of months myself, packing up our house will be a nightmare, I think I'm just going to leave it to the professionals.

So we had to move when I was 6 months pregnant with our spawn...to a second story apartment no less. Here I was all 4'10" of pregnant belly marching up and down the steps with furniture. 

Please, do not do what I did. Hire the pros. I'm still mad at my husband for not hiring them :lol:

5 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

I've never heard of anything like that - stripping a home down before selling. That could be both good or bad depending on the state of the home prior, I would think. I wish I had the skill set to install my own flooring. That would have made a lot more houses much more appealing. We avoided buying many at a lower cost because they had carpet. I really do not like carpet. Not with kids, pets and asthma. Plus there is great satisfaction in doing something yourself the way you like. I take care of some diy things but not all. 

We moved last month to the Phoenix area. A great many Californians are moving here. But hubs had been working here since last November and the commute was just too much and it's so much cheaper here. Our home is twice as big and we made substantial equity in the sale of our old home (which btw - the plumbing backed up and burst and was a nightmare two weeks before closing the sale. It was insane). Lil O is in a good public school so no more private school tuition. Honestly, I don't miss CA at all but that may change the longer I am here, but hopefully not. 

Glad to read Lil O is doing well. 

Had to grab a map (all the States are not entirely etched in my brain) so now I can see that's a long commute indeed. Hubby lived in Cali last year for a while, and the housing prices were a little over what we have here. Guess they're insane everywhere.

I never liked carpet either, but, this is not meant in a mean way, just the thought of not buying a house with carpet seems so alien to me. And yes, satisfaction happens AFTER it's done. It's less fun when you have 3 weeks to get it done in. I'm also not looking forward to sanding down the stairs to the attic because someone put carpet on it, it was removed and now I'm stuck with remnants of the glue. I know I have to, but sanding is just the most boring task there is. I guess sparing yourself that mess might even be worth it ;-)

Oh no, buying and selling is too stressful already. Can't imagine your house starting to puke on you when you leave. Not fair. 

For the move itself, hire people if you can, I second that, especially when pregnant.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I liked the life I lived in London but not necessarily living there. I think my ideal would be to live at a nice commute distance, as you have chosen, to get the access to the lifestyle but have a better quality of home life.

What counts as a nice commute distance in your opinion?

The lady at the unemployment office here told me that everything reachable in maximum 2 hours by public transportation is considered the possible area of commuting. (Which is, honestly, almost the whole country if you are in the centre.) I hate the thought. I think up to half an hour's or maybe 40 minutes tops commute is fine, I would hate everything that is more than that. I am going to hate going to some of my language classes, I know that for sure already, for this reason.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Of course for that's one needs to have a job :P:rolleyes:  (I may have found something on that front...watch this space...)

Excited for you ... *keeps fingers crossed (figuratively, cannot actually type with crossed fingers)*

5 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

I am envious of your drive to get the Ph.D - I wish you all the best success. Dr. Buck does have a satisfying ring to it!

:blushing: Thank you.

22 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

Your mom must have been made of iron. that commands respect.

I moved in April, so we took a month while working full time to get the house ready for the move. tough couple of weeks, especially with my handicap. We left the attic unfinished and used it as a temporary stash. Now that everything is livable, we started on doing the attic. My paint stains salute @Lady Olenna s paint stains.

We lived apart and while that was nice for about a year and a half, then the things being in the wrong house and the constant commuting became too irritating. We bought a house in the city suitable for future kids. We were extremely lucky that we could (bureaucracy *sometimes* IS your friend).

ah yes in my country they just don't care if students can or can not afford anything. If you want to live here you'll deal with the consequences. It's a bit of a bleep you. Hopefully you'll find a good tenant.

Oh, I See, for some reason I thought you were still in the preparing the house so you can move phase. But it's great to hear that you're ready, and the attic is the only remaining area that needs work. 

Yeah, I'm hoping to move out of the city when I'm closer to the having kids phase of life, but unfortunately that's still a good 5 years away. 

Well, it's not like I would use that furniture anyway, it's nice and in very good condition considering that I used those pieces for five and a half years. Even if they matched the style of this flat, I couldn't do much with one of each item. 

15 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Is everyone moving at once? I'm thinking of getting a room too.

I accidentally looked through all 100 of those until I remembered my urgent homework.

No homework is ever urgent enough to abandon even a single one of those 100 memes. 

14 hours ago, First of My Name said:

:lol: Neither. I decided to finish it tomorrow and come back online ;) 

:crying: I'm so proud of you. Welcome to the College Procrustination Club! :cheers: Not that I'm still at college or anything... 

13 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

My father recently said that one should not quit jobs too many times, since future potential employers will consider you flaky and untrustworthy when considering you for next jobs. Not sure if this still applies in today's market where they keep telling you to be flexible though ...

Thank you. :blushing:

I would probably try to repaint the old piece of furniture myself in that case. :P (The point that I would not want to have a vanity in the first place aside.) I would love to have a flat with a mixture of modern, new furniture and traditional old pieces, like a new sofa and then an old inherited book closet or such.

Velvet inside the drawers? That sounds impractical to clean.

/.../

Here most flats are rented to students, and those are almost always furnished. The ones rented to families by the state or the city governments are unfurnished, but there are way fewer of those. Most people want to own their own place, so renting is not even that common after graduating and finding a job (which can of course be tough today). I would say it is more common to live with your parents than to rent a flat in the time when you are looking for a permanent job/working part time/are not yet considering to start a family.

:blushing: again.

My father did it when I was little too. There is a photo in our family album with a little Buck (about 1 year old I guess) sitting on his lap at a writing desk "helping him to write his PhD" by holding a pen in my hand that he is holding with his hand.

My mom thinks that society has three layers. Beggars, A students who graduated college and got a proper 9 to 5 job and rich people. I doubt the world ever worked like that, to be honest. Define too many times. A prospective employer will only consider you unreliable if you switch jobs as often as every one-two years. But they do expect you to have tried various things, to be flexible and open minded and to change jobs every 3-4 years. (Unless your career path is vertical and you become a manager at your company). At least that's the situation here in the private sector. 

I could and would do that, if I loved it that much or it had sentimental value. But I kinda wanted something halfway between an Ikea vanity and this old vanity and I found one that was - with a couple minor adjustments (three- hour diy project) - just that. Oh I've wanted a vanity for... 10+ years. And now I'm getting one :commie: 

it probably is, but it's pretty. 

Pretty much the same here. Most people want to own a property as soon as they can, we see it as a form of security. And living with your parents until your mid-twenties is absolutely common and accepted, doesn't have a stigma as it does in the US. If young people rent, they do it with friends or a partner, otherwise it's impossible to afford it. And if the relationship with the partner is stable enough, they go for buying, rent is considered throwing money out of the window, monthly loan repayment is considered investment in ones future and is usually about the same amount of money as the rent would be. 

That sounds super cute! 

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Good luck with the job!!! 

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah, I'm hoping to move out of the city when I'm closer to the having kids phase of life, but unfortunately that's still a good 5 years away. 

I lived out of the city as a child, while going to school in the city. I hated it because I was so far away from all my schoolmates, I could not participate in walking to/from school together, my parents always had to take me, so I felt I missed on a lot of time together with friends, I could not just visit people in the next street (most of the other classmates in my school lived within a walking distance from school). Also my parents had to take me to all the extracurricular activities instead of me going by myself even when I was grown up enough to walk/take a bus by myself.

If I lived in such a situation, I would at least try to send my children into the nearest school, so they could still share the neighbourhood with their schoolmates. I did not know any other children from my neighbourhood. Sending me to the school under whose area we actually belonged was a much worse option because of the time-planning (that one sometimes had afternoon classes, which would make family time and all the extracurricular activities almost impossible).

So from an adult perspective, I guess it was the best decision, but for some time, I could not understand why we moved so far away from the city and not somewhere more central.

I am also weird in the way that I hate driving and owning a car ever is not a priority for me. So when I have a chance to move, I will want to go closer to the city centre for the closeness of everything and more frequent public transport. That is one of the things I love about Vienna, how good the public transport is compared to here.

Define too many times. A prospective employer will only consider you unreliable if you switch jobs as often as every one-two years. But they do expect you to have tried various things, to be flexible and open minded and to change jobs every 3-4 years. (Unless your career path is vertical and you become a manager at your company). At least that's the situation here in the private sector.

Uh, most of the employment ads i see here only offer jobs for 1 or 2 years. So changing that often is a necessity not because you quit but because your contract runs out.

I could and would do that, if I loved it that much or it had sentimental value. But I kinda wanted something halfway between an Ikea vanity and this old vanity and I found one that was - with a couple minor adjustments (three- hour diy project) - just that. Oh I've wanted a vanity for... 10+ years. And now I'm getting one :commie:

Yay for you! :)

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

What counts as a nice commute distance in your opinion?

The lady at the unemployment office here told me that everything reachable in maximum 2 hours by public transportation is considered the possible area of commuting. (Which is, honestly, almost the whole country if you are in the centre.) I hate the thought. I think up to half an hour's or maybe 40 minutes tops commute is fine, I would hate everything that is more than that. I am going to hate going to some of my language classes, I know that for sure already, for this reason.

Excited for you ... *keeps fingers crossed (figuratively, cannot actually type with crossed fingers)*

:blushing: Thank you.

40-45 minutes would be what i consider the best possible commute, in terms of the trade off between quality of life and access to city and housing quality etc. I think my absolute max would be an hour and a half and that might be pushing it a bit. A lot would depend on my job at the time (the pay, how much i enjoy it etc.) In comparison to the area i would be living in. I.e. is the long commute actually worth in for what i have.

Thanks for the well wishes! I shall update you when i know more. I dont want to get my hopes up too much but the signs thus far have been promising so...

I also agree Dr. Buck has a nice ring to it

1 hour ago, Lady Olenna said:

I love the smell of my percolator in the morning :)

Sometimes the thought of a fresh cup of coffee or an espresso is all that gets me out of bed on a morning

18 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

My father recently said that one should not quit jobs too many times, since future potential employers will consider you flaky and untrustworthy when considering you for next jobs. Not sure if this still applies in today's market where they keep telling you to be flexible though ...

My father did it when I was little too. There is a photo in our family album with a little Buck (about 1 year old I guess) sitting on his lap at a writing desk "helping him to write his PhD" by holding a pen in my hand that he is holding with his hand.

:leer:

Mature adult decision making right here. Worthy of a decent college student.

I doubt it's much of an issue in modern society, as long as you quit instead of got fired ;) 

This time your dirty thoughts actually did figure just the tiniest bit in my decision process :leer: Especially since I'm dating again.

5 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

No homework is ever urgent enough to abandon even a single one of those 100 memes. 

:crying: I'm so proud of you. Welcome to the College Procrustination Club! :cheers: Not that I'm still at college or anything... 

I was already an honorary member of the High School Procrastination Club, but it still feels great to be welcomed. I'll do you guys proud. (Actually, considering the amount of exams I just winged last year, I should have been included months ago :P

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I lived out of the city as a child, while going to school in the city. I hated it because I was so far away from all my schoolmates, I could not participate in walking to/from school together, my parents always had to take me, so I felt I missed on a lot of time together with friends, I could not just visit people in the next street (most of the other classmates in my school lived within a walking distance from school). Also my parents had to take me to all the extracurricular activities instead of me going by myself even when I was grown up enough to walk/take a bus by myself.

If I lived in such a situation, I would at least try to send my children into the nearest school, so they could still share the neighbourhood with their schoolmates. I did not know any other children from my neighbourhood. Sending me to the school under whose area we actually belonged was a much worse option because of the time-planning (that one sometimes had afternoon classes, which would make family time and all the extracurricular activities almost impossible).

So from an adult perspective, I guess it was the best decision, but for some time, I could not understand why we moved so far away from the city and not somewhere more central.

I am also weird in the way that I hate driving and owning a car ever is not a priority for me. So when I have a chance to move, I will want to go closer to the city centre for the closeness of everything and more frequent public transport. That is one of the things I love about Vienna, how good the public transport is compared to here.

Uh, most of the employment ads i see here only offer jobs for 1 or 2 years. So changing that often is a necessity not because you quit but because your contract runs out.

Yay for you! :)

It was the same for me from 4th grade on. I didn't mind too much because I was always too introverted to want to go out in the evenings and all, and I wouldn't have been allowed to even if I lived in the same town. 

I absolutely wouldn't raise my child in the city center. Maybe it's more liveable there, but here the city center is mostly disgusting. And the parts that aren't disgusting are impossible to afford and have zero greenery but infinite amount of tourists all year around. I can potentially imagine raising my child in the 12th/inner 2nd district, nice quiet and green areas, but then those villas are also impossible to afford. My preference is a larger city that's not the capital. In the western half of the country. You can get a 300sqm house for the price of an average flat in the capital and you'll have a garden and decent education and kid friendly possibilities for entertainment, movies, theatre, swimming pool, sports field, zoo, basic shopping. I am willing to handle the traffic in a town, and I'm content working part time from home or not at all if the financial situation agrees. /rhaenysfamilylifedaydreams

Wow, how interesting! Most jobs are for indefinite period of time here. That is, the contract doesn't ever expire, you just quit or get fired. I think it has a certain level of cool when you have a definite contract, makes you look forward to the end and stimulates change. 

I bought lamps, yay!!!! They are very pretty, in case anybody is interested. and they weren't too insanely expensive either. 

@First of My Name yeah, your admission is indeed a little late, but we do appreciate your efforts to procrastinate in the previous semesters too. :cheers: 

It was the same for me from 4th grade on. I didn't mind too much because I was always too introverted to want to go out in the evenings and all, and I wouldn't have been allowed to even if I lived in the same town. 

I absolutely wouldn't raise my child in the city center. Maybe it's more liveable there, but here the city center is mostly disgusting. And the parts that aren't disgusting are impossible to afford and have zero greenery but infinite amount of tourists all year around. I can potentially imagine raising my child in the 12th/inner 2nd district, nice quiet and green areas, but then those villas are also impossible to afford. My preference is a larger city that's not the capital. In the western half of the country. You can get a 300sqm house for the price of an average flat in the capital and you'll have a garden and decent education and kid friendly possibilities for entertainment, movies, theatre, swimming pool, sports field, zoo, basic shopping. I am willing to handle the traffic in a town, and I'm content working part time from home or not at all if the financial situation agrees. /rhaenysfamilylifedaydreams

Wow, how interesting! Most jobs are for indefinite period of time here. That is, the contract doesn't ever expire, you just quit or get fired. I think it has a certain level of cool when you have a definite contract, makes you look forward to the end and stimulates change. 

I bought lamps, yay!!!! They are very pretty, in case anybody is interested. and they weren't too insanely expensive either. 

@First of My Name yeah, your admission is indeed a little late, but we do appreciate your efforts to procrastinate in the previous semesters too. :cheers: 

We left California for exactly all of the reasons you listed. We got so tired of constant police/fire sirens, helicopters overhead and the oh so fun game every night of "was that a gunshot or fireworks". Not even exaggerating.

I worked part time for the last 4 years (well pretty much full time with the commute) and enjoyed it even though part of me felt like I was "wasting" my degree. But I was happy and I got to spend more time with my son. I honestly love homemaking but i seem to be in the minority these days. 

I guess I could have just as easily said I like your /familydaydreams. I can certainly relate. 

On 04/09/2017 at 7:07 PM, Ashara_Dayne said:

good luck! Hopefully you'll get the one you have your eye on

Thank you :).

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It's all looking good at the moment, plus, I will have room to make a proper music studio for when I need some me time :D.

15 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

For some reason I thought you lived in southern California. No idea why I thought that. 

I was born there and have family there, I'm planning to move over in the next couple of years but for the moment we just want to be out of London.

15 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

So we had to move when I was 6 months pregnant with our spawn...to a second story apartment no less. Here I was all 4'10" of pregnant belly marching up and down the steps with furniture. 

Please, do not do what I did. Hire the pros. I'm still mad at my husband for not hiring them :lol:

Trust me I'm not doing that!, my bump seems to be getting bigger by the week already!.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

40-45 minutes would be what i consider the best possible commute, in terms of the trade off between quality of life and access to city and housing quality etc. I think my absolute max would be an hour and a half and that might be pushing it a bit. A lot would depend on my job at the time (the pay, how much i enjoy it etc.) In comparison to the area i would be living in. I.e. is the long commute actually worth in for what i have.

I, like most of the people in a small country, probably seem spoiled in that regard. One and a half hour seems like an insane commute to me. To and from work, that is three hours a day! Obviously it depends a lot on other parts of your lifestyle, your work etc. And if you take the car or public transport, whatever you prefer.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thanks for the well wishes! I shall update you when i know more. I dont want to get my hopes up too much but the signs thus far have been promising so...

I also agree Dr. Buck has a nice ring to it

:thumbsup:

:blushing:

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:

I doubt it's much of an issue in modern society, as long as you quit instead of got fired ;)

Yeah, that is a difference. Maybe if you know you are going to quit because you want something else, you might start interviewing before you actually quit the previous job though. That way you will avoid the possibility of being unemployed for a long time.

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:

This time your dirty thoughts actually did figure just the tiniest bit in my decision process :leer: Especially since I'm dating again.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/28/2876a42cd241d909d5bb0c465539985f6b432b779af3f08df6de3949f31c1926.jpg

:P

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Oh, it was not a case of going out in the evenings at all. It was just walking to school in the mornings and walking back home in the afternoons that I felt I missed out on. I cannot say I felt horribly traumatised about it, I just didn't like it back then.

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Well, it depends what you consider to be the city center. I do not want to live in the nicey pricey touristy centre-centre either. But there are other neighbourhoods. I just like the capital here. :wub: I cannot decide which city I consider prettier, this or Vienna. There is like one other city in the country that I might consider living in. Everything else seems too small and provincial and shitty transportation and not enough cultural life etc. after Vienna.

I would be content working partly from home, obviously, since I am already doing it ... it has its own good and bad sides. Not working - as in a job, I also consider household work work, obviously - at all as a life decision is not an option for me, it just isn't done here. Is having just one person in a household doing a career common in your country?

Most jobs technically should be for an indefinite period of time here too, I suppose ... (I mean, the real employments, not the precarious situations many young people are stuck in.) But then I see many more ads with a one- or two-year contract offer than I do indefinite ones. The indefinite ones are more stable and therefore more desirable for most people. Most people would dread the end of a definite contract and would hope it gets extended into indefinite, I would guess, not look forward to it at all. In my generation, getting an indefinite contract is considered something of a lottery win. The pre-economic crisis people mostly have indefinite contracts.

4 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Of course, the saga of Rhae's room is starting to rival ASOIAF in length :P

Happy to serve.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Yeah, that is a difference. Maybe if you know you are going to quit because you want something else, you might start interviewing before you actually quit the previous job though. That way you will avoid the possibility of being unemployed for a long time.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/28/2876a42cd241d909d5bb0c465539985f6b432b779af3f08df6de3949f31c1926.jpg

:P

That seems like a smart move, yeah.

:P Since you asked, the short but NSFW version...

Spoiler

I met him on a dating app a while ago but first met up with him on Wednesday and had a great time. Then I went again on Friday, spent the night, and slept with him in the morning :blush: Which admittedly was probably moving too fast, but I'm pretty into him. He's really pretty, has a great smile, an interesting personality and shares a ton of hobbies with me. He lives pretty far away but I'm seeing him again next week. I'm not sure where it's going, but this is probably the most excited I've been about a guy I dated.

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

It's all looking good at the moment, plus, I will have room to make a proper music studio for when I need some me time :D.

Trust me I'm not doing that!, my bump seems to be getting bigger by the week already!.

Wow that sounds really cool! What instrument(s) do you play? 

Aww, you must be a cuter Sith Lord with every passing week. 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I, like most of the people in a small country, probably seem spoiled in that regard. One and a half hour seems like an insane commute to me. To and from work, that is three hours a day! Obviously it depends a lot on other parts of your lifestyle, your work etc. And if you take the car or public transport, whatever you prefer.

Oh, it was not a case of going out in the evenings at all. It was just walking to school in the mornings and walking back home in the afternoons that I felt I missed out on. I cannot say I felt horribly traumatised about it, I just didn't like it back then.

Well, it depends what you consider to be the city center. I do not want to live in the nicey pricey touristy centre-centre either. But there are other neighbourhoods. I just like the capital here. :wub: I cannot decide which city I consider prettier, this or Vienna. There is like one other city in the country that I might consider living in. Everything else seems too small and provincial and shitty transportation and not enough cultural life etc. after Vienna.

I would be content working partly from home, obviously, since I am already doing it ... it has its own good and bad sides. Not working - as in a job, I also consider household work work, obviously - at all as a life decision is not an option for me, it just isn't done here. Is having just one person in a household doing a career common in your country?

Most jobs technically should be for an indefinite period of time here too, I suppose ... (I mean, the real employments, not the precarious situations many young people are stuck in.) But then I see many more ads with a one- or two-year contract offer than I do indefinite ones. The indefinite ones are more stable and therefore more desirable for most people. Most people would dread the end of a definite contract and would hope it gets extended into indefinite, I would guess, not look forward to it at all. In my generation, getting an indefinite contract is considered something of a lottery win. The pre-economic crisis people mostly have indefinite contracts.

How does that depend on the size of the country? :o I mean it's totally customary to commute an hour to work. In fact you can't even not commute at least 30 minutes within the city. My friend commutes 1-1.5 hours to uni and she lives in the same city as I do and as her uni is. My mom also commutes 1.5 hours to work when she isn't working from home (which is 2-3 days a week). 

I like this city too, but the neighborhoods I would live in make up for maybe 15% of it. The non-city center here is either crappy or 1-1.5 hour commute from where you'd have a job/go to school. There are a couple nice areas in a half an hour distance from places one would frequent, but those are the impossible to afford category. I really miss my "old" neighborhood, it was truly dreamy. I guess I just need to get used to this one and when the furniture situation is better, I'll be able to fully enjoy this flat. 

Well, if you do it, it will be done there too :P seriously, it's not "the done thing" here either, partly because the economy sucks and families can't afford to rely on only one income and partly because it's a socialist and/or modern female role custom (dependent on which generation you ask). there are definitely examples, mostly in families with at least 3 kids and upper class (I know stay-at-home moms among friends and extended family as well) And during toddler years, it is the done thing to stay home with one's kids. Middle class Gen Y seems to be breaking that tradition though. 

Same here as far as feelings go, but we do have a generous amount of indefinite jobs on the market. 

3 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

We left California for exactly all of the reasons you listed. We got so tired of constant police/fire sirens, helicopters overhead and the oh so fun game every night of "was that a gunshot or fireworks". Not even exaggerating.

I worked part time for the last 4 years (well pretty much full time with the commute) and enjoyed it even though part of me felt like I was "wasting" my degree. But I was happy and I got to spend more time with my son. I honestly love homemaking but i seem to be in the minority these days. 

I guess I could have just as easily said I like your /familydaydreams. I can certainly relate. 

My god, I've never experienced anything like that here. I don't know if that's a thing in the outer city, I actually don't think so. but in the areas I've lived in, the worst thing is the general cleanliness of the streets, the people and the infrastructure and the noise. My previous neighborhood was A level in all those aspects, the current one is okay, it just passes with a C. Dumbass college students are loud (no offense, fomn) there's a piping construction so the cleanliness isn't the best at the moment, but the infrastructure is fine and the people aren't too bad. It's certainly within the I dare to walk home alone after 10pm line. 

I would absolutely love staying home and raising a family. Contrary to common belief home making IS work and a lot of it. Of course I might change my mind if I actually get to try it, but I don't see myself getting bored at all. I love staying home and creating a tidy living space and fussing around other people and I love family life. 

I'm glad to hear I'm not totally alone with this :D 

56 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Of course, the saga of Rhae's room is starting to rival ASOIAF in length :P

Happy to serve.

That seems like a smart move, yeah.

:P Since you asked, the short but NSFW version...

Hide contents

I met him on a dating app a while ago but first met up with him on Wednesday and had a great time. Then I went again on Friday, spent the night, and slept with him in the morning :blush: Which admittedly was probably moving too fast, but I'm pretty into him. He's really pretty, has a great smile, an interesting personality and shares a ton of hobbies with me. He lives pretty far away but I'm seeing him again next week. I'm not sure where it's going, but this is probably the most excited I've been about a guy I dated.

Beware Tindr my young paddawan, for the app is dark and full of creeps :P 

(I have made me share of I'll-advised decision on Tindr, mostly when I felt bad about myself for some reason or another already. Sue me, I'm only human)

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Wow that sounds really cool! What instrument(s) do you play? 

Aww, you must be a cuter Sith Lord with every passing week. 

Guitar mostly, I also can play the piano but am somewhat out of practice as I've not practiced it in ages.

I don't really seem to be getting any bigger anywhere except my bump at the moment, we're going shopping for some baby stuff this weekend :D.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Beware Tindr my young paddawan, for the app is dark and full of creeps :P 

(I have made me share of I'll-advised decision on Tindr, mostly when I felt bad about myself for some reason or another already. Sue me, I'm only human)

Please could you refrain from referring to my apprentice using Jedi terms :P.

Archived