TTTNE 470: Spam like it's 2007!

Buckwheat

1 hour ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

And the Sith baby is so exciting, even though I hope she may encounter other lifestyles than Sith :P But Buck will babysit so I have hope :P

I feel the need to inform you that my babysitting experience is very limited.

1 hour ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

@felice yeah I get it. We're stuck in a similarly fractured political landscape with similar issues. They've been working on forming a government for since march. Not that I mind much, since as long as there's no deal, no controversial decisions will be made. Curious to see what happens in your country. 

I think we might live in the same country :P

So I once again proved to be Terrible at art. But the class was still  fun and I might give it another go or try something similar like a pottery class or something. 

Speaking of painting, I still don't have anybody to paint the freaking walls and I also don't have a tenant for the old flat, so I kinda need to prioritize this now that the furniture situation is improving. 

And there's this musical I want to go to, and I still haven't had a proper autumn walk because it was either raining or it was 23C. 

Tomorrow I'm ordering the last bits of furniture and from then on the focus is on decorating, which is a lot more enjoyable process. 

15 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

And the Sith baby is so exciting, even though I hope she may encounter other lifestyles than Sith :P But Buck will babysit so I have hope :P

She will be raised correctly, everything that will transpire will do so according to my design :P.

Although do not forget, she is not only Sith, she will have a dragon egg to hatch too :P.

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

How long do I give Crazy Ex-Girlfriend before I quit? Watched two episodes, irritates me beyond reason. Should I at least give it 5 episodes?

What irritates you? I'll tell you whether it's worth continuing.

eta: I will say, especially with CW shows, inusually discount the Pilot episode in terms of how many episodes I watch before giving up. The actual show very often changes massively from the pilot 

((you know who I mean, xoxo, Lonely Boy))

Erm, erm, uh....I mean...

:leaving:

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

What irritates you? I'll tell you whether it's worth continuing.

eta: I will say, especially with CW shows, inusually discount the Pilot episode in terms of how many episodes I watch before giving up. The actual show very often changes massively from the pilot 

((you know who I mean, xoxo, Lonely Boy))

Erm, erm, uh....I mean...

:leaving:

Come now, we all have our guilty pleasures, I.....um..... watch The Originals :leaving:, although I’d like to add for the record that I’ve never watched it’s parent show on account of it being too awful, I’d rather have lunch with Yoda.

13 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

Come now, we all have our guilty pleasures, I.....um..... watch The Originals :leaving:, although I’d like to add for the record that I’ve never watched it’s parent show on account of it being too awful, I’d rather have lunch with Yoda.

Hey I was the target demographic for Gossip Girl I'll have you know, and was in a hospital ward with other girls my age with access to very little except a small TV with freeview for several months. I'm entitled to my guilty pleasure :P 

I've never watched the Originals or Vampire Diaries. Or True Blood or anything vampire-y like that. I like the concept of Vampires but much prefer the Gothic "Dracula" take on them than angsty teen drama. But I'll allow you your guilty pleasure too :P 

edit: the reason I brought up GG in the first place was because i think it was a CW show like Crazy Ex-Girlfriemd, and it also cropped up on my news feed because it's 10 years since it first aired or something

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Hey I was the target demographic for Gossip Girl I'll have you know, and was in a hospital ward with other girls my age with access to very little except a small TV with freeview for several months. I'm entitled to my guilty pleasure :P 

I've never watched the Originals or Vampire Diaries. Or True Blood or anything vampire-y like that. I like the concept of Vampires but much prefer the Gothic "Dracula" take on them than angsty teen drama. But I'll allow you your guilty pleasure too :P 

edit: the reason I brought up GG in the first place was because i think it was a CW show like Crazy Ex-Girlfriemd, and it also cropped up on my news feed because it's 10 years since it first aired or something

I liked Gossip Girl :mellow:, True Blood was actually good for the first 3 Series then it went rubbish, it’s not an angst teen show  more sex,violence and fangs,The Originals is definatley a guilty pleasure although it is rather violent for something aimed at teenagers, maybe I’m getting old!.

We all know about guilty pleasure, don't we? Come on, I watched Pretty Little Liars and Jane the Virgin (the latter actually has entertainment value and creativity and one or two good actors and shit). 

@HelenaExMachina everything. Rachel, her colleague, Josh's buddy, his girlfriend. The songs. The dialogues. I can't even which is worse, when they talk or when they sing. The fact that you only ever see Rachel stalking Josh or taking advantage of people to stalk Josh and somehow she's still successful at work. Like Spencer was always hunting A and sitting in asylums but somehow her worst grade was still a B. And after first twenty minutes of the first episode Rachel comes off as an absolutely awful person. At least the actor is good...... oh goddamn it, it's the other way around, the character is Rebecca and the actor is Rachel. Whatever, you know what I mean. 

40 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Jane the Virgin (the latter actually has entertainment value and creativity and one or two good actors and shit).

Hihi, I have been watching this one recently, but did not want to mention it here because it is just too silly. :P  It is really mindless entertainment. Okay, not enitrely mindless, but not as good as Crazy Ex. I think Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a much better show and I also enjoy watching it way more.

But then I am addicted to whatever is self-referential and self-aware as a medium and has a weird style - my literary catnip, as the supernatural entity has recently said.

Also with Crazy Ex, all the characters are awful people and broken in their own ways and shit, but there are none that I actively dislike watching (sometimes Paula is near that line), but I just really cannot stand Rogelio from Jane the Virgin.

@HelenaExMachina everything. Rachel, her colleague, 

Okay, I can see that. Paula annoys me too sometimes.

Josh's buddy,

You mean Greg? He is cute. :P

his girlfriend. The songs.

But but but those are the best!

The dialogues. I can't even which is worse, when they talk or when they sing. The fact that you only ever see Rachel stalking Josh or taking advantage of people to stalk Josh and somehow she's still successful at work.Like Spencer was always hunting A and sitting in asylums but somehow her worst grade was still a B.

Yeah ... I don't think the show is ever meant to be realistic in that way. The first thing I commented to @HelenaExMachina when I started watching that was "This is an over-the-top show." I meant it in the sense that everything is so crazy it is not even wholly believable. And I don't think this is even the goal. After all, this is the show that continuously tells us "this is a TV show" through the mouth of their charactes. I think it is really really good at showing psychical states of Rachel and other character and relationships between people, but the workplace success and stuff is just ... there.

Speaking of this topic, I was thinking about how Jane the Virgin manages to keep her job and the enrolment in her program, since she, you know ...

Spoiler
  • texted her former advisor that he was an asshole (or whatever the word was)
  • had a stripper dressed like Don Quijote appear and undress during her talk
  • had her office turned into a wedding dress warehouse
  • tried to kiss her advisor, then demanded a new advisor, then dated the old advisor
  • the new advisor hates both her personally, her lifestyle and goals; AND her work
  • ... just off the top of my head ;) I know that she continuously falls into weird and awkward situations and spends half the time at her job apologising to the dean and the advisor.

And after first twenty minutes of the first episode Rachel comes off as an absolutely awful person.

Oh come on, she is a good person (<- this is a song clip from one of the future episodes, but it does not spoil anything for you). :P

No really, it is pretty clear that she is awful and does awful things, you are right. But that makes her also interesting. She is so much more than just awful, she is also psychically not okay and I think the show shows us her character very well (yes, I already said that up there).

At least the actor is good...... oh goddamn it, it's the other way around, the character is Rebecca and the actor is Rachel. Whatever, you know what I mean. 

I mix the names up too. :lol: R. B. for both of them.

52 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Hihi, I have been watching this one recently, but did not want to mention it here because it is just too silly. :P  It is really mindless entertainment. Okay, not enitrely mindless, but not as good as Crazy Ex. I think Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a much better show and I also enjoy watching it way more.

But then I am addicted to whatever is self-referential and self-aware as a medium and has a weird style - my literary catnip, as the supernatural entity has recently said.

Also with Crazy Ex, all the characters are awful people and broken in their own ways and shit, but there are none that I actively dislike watching (sometimes Paula is near that line), but I just really cannot stand Rogelio from Jane the Virgin.

Okay, I can see that. Paula annoys me too sometimes.

You mean Greg? He is cute. :P

But but but those are the best!

Yeah ... I don't think the show is ever meant to be realistic in that way. The first thing I commented to @HelenaExMachina when I started watching that was "This is an over-the-top show." I meant it in the sense that everything is so crazy it is not even wholly believable. And I don't think this is even the goal. After all, this is the show that continuously tells us "this is a TV show" through the mouth of their charactes. I think it is really really good at showing psychical states of Rachel and other character and relationships between people, but the workplace success and stuff is just ... there.

Speaking of this topic, I was thinking about how Jane the Virgin manages to keep her job and the enrolment in her program, since she, you know ...

Reveal hidden contents
  • texted her former advisor that he was an asshole (or whatever the word was)
  • had a stripper dressed like Don Quijote appear and undress during her talk
  • had her office turned into a wedding dress warehouse
  • tried to kiss her advisor, then demanded a new advisor, then dated the old advisor
  • the new advisor hates both her personally, her lifestyle and goals; AND her work
  • ... just off the top of my head ;) I know that she continuously falls into weird and awkward situations and spends half the time at her job apologising to the dean and the advisor.

Oh come on, she is a good person (<- this is a song clip from one of the future episodes, but it does not spoil anything for you). :P

No really, it is pretty clear that she is awful and does awful things, you are right. But that makes her also interesting. She is so much more than just awful, she is also psychically not okay and I think the show shows us her character very well (yes, I already said that up there).

I mix the names up too. :lol: R. B. for both of them.

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhh.. I don't want to judge ex girlfriend too much because I only watched two episodes and I'm not saying Jane is a quality show. 

But I feel like Jane is much better at making fun of itself than ex-girlfriend. I think the narrator is a really creative idea and the funniest thing in the world. I sympathize with the characters more and I think Gina is great. I loved Jane the Virgin, it's so endearing and funny and very good at self irony. Yes it's as unrealistic as it gets too, but I think they play it well and make the audience aware that they are also aware of how ridiculous the plot is. Basically the difference is that what you said. I enjoy watching Jane the Virgin, it entertains me and makes me laugh, ex girlfriend just irritated me every way possible and I didn't enjoy it at all. But I'll give it two more episodes because I started off hating PLL and the 100 too. PLL didn't get better but got me hooked on the plot, the 100 got me hooked because the storytelling and the characters and the narrative just leveled up. 

Rogelio: he is kinda annoying but I got used to him as he is a genuinely nice person and kinda adorable in his naive, narcissistic stupidity. 

That awkward moment when you want to have tea but all the mugs are in the dishwasher.... #firstworldproblems I'll go wash my hair. 

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

We all know about guilty pleasure, don't we? Come on, I watched Pretty Little Liars and Jane the Virgin (the latter actually has entertainment value and creativity and one or two good actors and shit). 

@HelenaExMachina everything. Rachel, her colleague, Josh's buddy, his girlfriend. The songs. The dialogues. I can't even which is worse, when they talk or when they sing. The fact that you only ever see Rachel stalking Josh or taking advantage of people to stalk Josh and somehow she's still successful at work. Like Spencer was always hunting A and sitting in asylums but somehow her worst grade was still a B. And after first twenty minutes of the first episode Rachel comes off as an absolutely awful person. At least the actor is good...... oh goddamn it, it's the other way around, the character is Rebecca and the actor is Rachel. Whatever, you know what I mean. 

I also quite liked Don’t trust the bitch in Appartment 23, although I admit I saw a bit of myself with that one, it would be like me and Buck in an apprtment share.

27 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhh.. I don't want to judge ex girlfriend too much because I only watched two episodes and I'm not saying Jane is a quality show. 

But I feel like Jane is much better at making fun of itself than ex-girlfriend. I think the narrator is a really creative idea and the funniest thing in the world. I sympathize with the characters more and I think Gina is great. I loved Jane the Virgin, it's so endearing and funny and very good at self irony. Yes it's as unrealistic as it gets too, but I think they play it well and make the audience aware that they are also aware of how ridiculous the plot is. Basically the difference is that what you said. I enjoy watching Jane the Virgin, it entertains me and makes me laugh, ex girlfriend just irritated me every way possible and I didn't enjoy it at all. But I'll give it two more episodes because I started off hating PLL and the 100 too. PLL didn't get better but got me hooked on the plot, the 100 got me hooked because the storytelling and the characters and the narrative just leveled up. 

Rogelio: he is kinda annoying but I got used to him as he is a genuinely nice person and kinda adorable in his naive, narcissistic stupidity.

I very much disagree with Jane being better at making fun of itself, but I think you have not yet seen the most obvious examples in Crazy Ex. None of the shows take themselves very seriously, which is what I like about both.

Characters: I don't really sympathise with anybody on either show ... I guess it is easier to sympathise with Jane because she is an all around better person than Rebecca and the viewer wants to see themselves in her, whereas Rebecca is somebody you certainly don't want to be associated or compared with. I think the characters on Crazy Ex are just more convincing in the psychological sense, they have more depth.

Cast: I happen to like Rachel's acting way more than Gina's, but then that might be just me liking the character more. :dunno: I don't ever really judge acting as long as it is not obviously terrible. I know nothing about acting and really cannot judge it.

The plot on Jane is so ridiculous. :lol: I think it is fitting because it is basically a soap opera parody. With all the secret relatives jumping out of every bush. And I also adore the narrator, he is sometimes so into the plot and sometimes just so weirded out. :D

Rogelio: He might be trying to do good things for people, but I never see him as adorable. I don't tolerate narcissistic, in-love-with-themselves people all that well.

Here is Rachel Bloom dissing Game of Thrones at 6.30.

Archived