TTTNE 470: Spam like it's 2007!

Buckwheat

8 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Oh my goodness that's a lot! 

What kind of flooring are you putting in? You have a three level house? That sounds very big! 

I haven't even started the garden either. But it's so hot right now I don't even want to. 

Yeh we got lucky in the insane housing market (long story, interest rates are artificially being kept on historic low) and bought a grown up people house. It's way cheaper than renting in our city, and it is kind of nice not to throw your money to a corporation but have something left of it at the end. 

We're doing wood laminate. Did that on the ground floor and first floor too. It's something we're both good at and it looks lovely. I'm not sure if it's a normal thing outside our country, but when you buy or rent a new home, it will be given to you in shell form. It will not have floors or paint and walls are either unfinished or you have to scrape decades old wallpaper off first and then finish the walls. So basically every single one of us becomes quite good at diy because we've been doing it since the day we started studying and all our friends did too XD

So you moving again as well? Or already moved? It's such a hassle. Hopefully you'll be happy with it once there's progress. Our summer is at it's end, but I take it yours is not? For the garden, meh, there's always next year. 

20 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Agreed :cheers: the only non expensive furniture we looked at were used pieces that I would have to completely refinish. I already have two tables and an antique vanity that I need to strip and paint. Trying to do all that to a China cabinet and entertainment center just didn't sound like a task I want to take on. Plus we don't have a truck to pick it all up with. 

And yes, all the new furniture we saw in stores was really pretty ugly. At our old house we bought a used Ektorp sofa that lasted us years and went through so much abuse - so we bought two new ones and I have to say I think they are very comfy. 

I've managed to assemble the China cabinet and the desk I bought for sewing. I still have so many boxes to put together. It's kind of like Legos for adults though :lol: with confusing instructions. 

In other news I have to start painting the new house... all 2000 sq ft of it. I don't even know where to begin. 

Happy weekend everyone :cheers: 

Yeah, god, transporting furniture is a pain, I usually try to get stuff delivered but the service is so damn unreliable here, it's unbelievable. I'm getting some custom made stuff too, haven't even got around to calling a carpenter yet, but at least I won't have to build that. 

I have a half made guest room bed, a coffee table I haven't even opened yet and a crap ton of other stuff I haven't even ordered yet. It will never end... 

as for painting, I've never painted anything on my own, we always had a professional doing the painting. I wouldn't even know how to do that. 

18 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

I hear you Lady O and RhaenysB.

We started on making the attic ready so we can start putting the floor in today. We did the stripping the walls, stucco, paint, a kitchen and floor on the bottom two floors before we moved (end of april). It's never finished. So much to do and I have barely even looked at the garden yet.

Good luck to the both of you. I understand.

Oh man that sounds like so much work. I can't even imagine having to do everything myself from bare walls. Good luck with all that work! 

I am envious of your problems, ladies. ;) It does not look like I will be moving anywhere any time soon ... *sigh* Stupid academic drive pushing me into applying for a PhD and part-time unreliable exploitative teaching jobs instead of settling for something less intellectually demanding and slightly more stable ... *not sure which emoticon to use here*

24 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

as for painting, I've never painted anything on my own, we always had a professional doing the painting. I wouldn't even know how to do that.

It is actually very easy, the stupid part is just putting plastic foil over everything and taping it down to prevent the paint from dropping everywhere, but the actual painting is just that, pushing the paintbrush/that wheel thingy over the wall. In my family, we did it ourselves.

Some of my most fun holiday memories are from when we painted the basement at my aunt's house in green and pink.

29 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I am envious of your problems, ladies. ;) It does not look like I will be moving anywhere any time soon ... *sigh* Stupid academic drive pushing me into applying for a PhD and part-time unreliable exploitative teaching jobs instead of settling for something less intellectually demanding and slightly more stable ... *not sure which emoticon to use here*

It is actually very easy, the stupid part is just putting plastic foil over everything and taping it down to prevent the paint from dropping everywhere, but the actual painting is just that, pushing the paintbrush/that wheel thingy over the wall. In my family, we did it ourselves.

Some of my most fun holiday memories are from when we painted the basement at my aunt's house in green and pink.

I'm sorry Buck. PhDs are tough, even when decently paid. Same goes for teaching. (And I am a teacher who loves her job. The benefits do suck though)

Hopefully something will come your way that suits you. Finding a job, I remember very well when straight out of college, was a nightmare. Took me 3 full years and over 1500 letters. I'm crossing my fingers for you to get a better deal. Maybe in publishing?

Oh, yes, about painting, Buck, you're absolutely right. The preparation is the terrible part. I hate sanding with a passion. Taping also sucks but less than sanding. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah, god, transporting furniture is a pain, I usually try to get stuff delivered but the service is so damn unreliable here, it's unbelievable. I'm getting some custom made stuff too, haven't even got around to calling a carpenter yet, but at least I won't have to build that. 

I have a half made guest room bed, a coffee table I haven't even opened yet and a crap ton of other stuff I haven't even ordered yet. It will never end... 

Oh man that sounds like so much work. I can't even imagine having to do everything myself from bare walls. Good luck with all that work! 

May the Old Gods or the New find a way to help you with the furniture. It does seem endless. I get that. What happened that you're knee-deep in ordering furniture, if I may ask?

6 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

But you are pursuing your dream and doing something stimulating that you enjoy. That's also pretty invaluable. But I'm not complaining for once, I'm kinda liking my current unstable, but flexible, free-lancing and family businessing job situation. Good luck with your phd. 

Lots of people do it themselves here too, but somehow that was never a thing in my family so I never got into it. Oh that really does sound fun :D 

5 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

May the Old Gods or the New find a way to help you with the furniture. It does seem endless. I get that. What happened that you're knee-deep in ordering furniture, if I may ask?

thank you :) may the old gods and the new help you with the floor as well :D nothing special happened, I moved house. (And I'm leaving my old furniture in my old flat because I'm renting that out. It was also a studio flat and now I have an actual bed room and living room and dining area and all that) 

5 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

I sympathise, moving is so stressful!, I'm going to be moving in the next couple of months myself, packing up our house will be a nightmare, I think I'm just going to leave it to the professionals.

Ugh, that's going to be extra fun for you with the baby Sith on the way. Good luck! Yeah, that's exactly what I should have done too. I don't know why I thought it wasn't worth a hundred euros to hire a truck and get my boxes moved by a company. 

6 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

I'm sorry Buck. PhDs are tough, even when decently paid. Same goes for teaching. (And I am a teacher who loves her job. The benefits do suck though)

Hopefully something will come your way that suits you. Finding a job, I remember very well when straight out of college, was a nightmare. Took me 3 full years and over 1500 letters. I'm crossing my fingers for you to get a better deal. Maybe in publishing?

I am just going to teach some courses at a language school - these are not real employment even, but just a sort of a one-task contract ... not sure how to explain it in English, the kind of thing where they don't actually employ you and you are paid per hours, without any stability or whatever. Same as I do with proofreading, just one task at a time whenever I get one, working from home.

Publishing is even worse. No publishing company employs people. With language schools, there is a big market. There is a demand for language courses, and therefore teachers, so as bad as the conditions are, there is worj at least. There is no demand for people working in publishing whatsoever. Neither translators, which would be high on my list of things I want to do with my life.

41 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

But you are pursuing your dream and doing something stimulating that you enjoy. That's also pretty invaluable. But I'm not complaining for once, I'm kinda liking my current unstable, but flexible, free-lancing and family businessing job situation. Good luck with your phd. 

Yeaaaah about that ... I have been wondering and doubting whether it is actually what I want and enjoy and whether I could just be happy doing other things ... if it is a good idea at all, for my personal life, my career and all ... if I can handle it, I mean, intellectually, PhD is hard, everybody can tell you that ... if this is the right decision at all.

Thanks though. I need to hear back from the application.

Good that you like your situation. I imagine you also like choosing new furniture? ;) It is nice that you can buy everything new just as it fits your place and not move your old furniture or get used pieces from all the relatives and acquaintances and stuff. (Supernatural entity's flat is like that.)

12 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am just going to teach some courses at a language school - these are not real employment even, but just a sort of a one-task contract ... not sure how to explain it in English, the kind of thing where they don't actually employ you and you are paid per hours, without any stability or whatever. Same as I do with proofreading, just one task at a time whenever I get one, working from home.

Publishing is even worse. No publishing company employs people. With language schools, there is a big market. There is a demand for language courses, and therefore teachers, so as bad as the conditions are, there is worj at least. There is no demand for people working in publishing whatsoever. Neither translators, which would be high on my list of things I want to do with my life.

Yeaaaah about that ... I have been wondering and doubting whether it is actually what I want and enjoy and whether I could just be happy doing other things ... if it is a good idea at all, for my personal life, my career and all ... if I can handle it, I mean, intellectually, PhD is hard, everybody can tell you that ... if this is the right decision at all.

Good that you like your situation. I imagine you also like choosing new furniture? ;) It is nice that you can buy everything new just as it fits your place and not move your old furniture or get used pieces from all the relatives and acquaintances and stuff. (Supernatural entity's flat is like that.)

It's so hard to figure out what you want in life and sometimes it's quite the opposite of what you thought you wanted. All I can say is that if something isn't working for you, quit. Be that a job or phd or anything. It's always good to try different things and it's never good to chain yourself to something you don't like just for the sake it. Good luck with your phd application and you are one of the smartest people I know, you'll be able to handle that intellectual challenge. 

Yeah, I also like that. The fact that I'm able to do that.I'm very grateful for that. (But I'll be an insufferable first world problems meme and add that furnishing a place isn't an easy ride. I am thankful that I have the chance to struggle with it though). And I almost got an old vanity from my aunt but redoing that would have cost more than buying the new one that was 50% off. And I can make adjustments to the new one to get the characteristics I loved about the old one. I'll replace the handles and I'm considering adding velvet lining to the drawers. But I shouldn't ramble about furniture, because it's probably pretty boring by now. 

This isn't. If there was anything good about season 7 it's the meme factory it became. This is for those of us who watched this disastrous show this year. 

20 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

I sympathise, moving is so stressful!, I'm going to be moving in the next couple of months myself, packing up our house will be a nightmare, I think I'm just going to leave it to the professionals.

Have you found your new place yet? I know you were hoping to move out of the city, have you managed to get somewhere?

*waves at Helena*

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Ah, I didn't know. I do understand tough markets to enter, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I'm living with a PhD candidate (I will never... not cut out for it) and it does have pros and cons like anything else. You do however have the intellectual capacity for it and you have the patience, puzzle solving skills and tolerance for frustration that you need. If it's where you want to go, you'll be good at it. You'll also lose sleep and probably want to throw things a couple of times ;-)

Also Dr. Buck has a nice ring to it. 

@RhaenysB that explains. Congratulations on the 'real' house. Funny that you rent out the old house furnished and all. That's not a jab or anything just something I'm not used to. prolly cultural difference.

9 minutes ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

*waves at Helena*

Ah, I didn't know. I do understand tough markets to enter, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I'm living with a PhD candidate (I will never... not cut out for it) and it does have pros and cons like anything else. You do however have the intellectual capacity for it and you have the patience, puzzle solving skills and tolerance for frustration that you need. If it's where you want to go, you'll be good at it. You'll also lose sleep and probably want to throw things a couple of times ;-)

@RhaenysB that explains. Congratulations on the 'real' house. Funny that you rent out the old house furnished and all. That's not a jab or anything just something I'm not used to. prolly cultural difference.

Dr Buck sounds pretty cool, I agree!!! 

My mom did her phd when I was little, it probably took her longer that way, but at least there was a thanks note to me in the acknowledgments for being a good girl and letting her write her phd. At the tender age of 7 I thought I was very cool for that. /random association anecdote 

Thanks :) yeah, probably, here it's customary to rent out flats with at least basic furnishing, because students/young people can't necessarily afford furnishing the place on top of the high rents, so 90% of flats for rent are furnished to some degree. 

Where are you moving? Beside a big house with no flooring :D New town or countryside or just a new place? 

36 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

My mom did her phd when I was little, it probably took her longer that way, but at least there was a thanks note to me in the acknowledgments for being a good girl and letting her write her phd. At the tender age of 7 I thought I was very cool for that. /random association anecdote 

Thanks :) yeah, probably, here it's customary to rent out flats with at least basic furnishing, because students/young people can't necessarily afford furnishing the place on top of the high rents, so 90% of flats for rent are furnished to some degree. 

Where are you moving? Beside a big house with no flooring :D New town or countryside or just a new place? 

Your mom must have been made of iron. that commands respect.

I moved in April, so we took a month while working full time to get the house ready for the move. tough couple of weeks, especially with my handicap. We left the attic unfinished and used it as a temporary stash. Now that everything is livable, we started on doing the attic. My paint stains salute @Lady Olenna s paint stains.

We lived apart and while that was nice for about a year and a half, then the things being in the wrong house and the constant commuting became too irritating. We bought a house in the city suitable for future kids. We were extremely lucky that we could (bureaucracy *sometimes* IS your friend).

ah yes in my country they just don't care if students can or can not afford anything. If you want to live here you'll deal with the consequences. It's a bit of a bleep you. Hopefully you'll find a good tenant.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Have you found your new place yet? I know you were hoping to move out of the city, have you managed to get somewhere?

Yes we've found somewhere and we're going ahead, I cannot wait to leave London, although we're going to be within very safe commuting distance to be fair.

Is everyone moving at once? I'm thinking of getting a room too.

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

This isn't. If there was anything good about season 7 it's the meme factory it became. This is for those of us who watched this disastrous show this year. 

I accidentally looked through all 100 of those until I remembered my urgent homework.

5 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

I accidentally looked through all 100 of those until I remembered my urgent homework.

I can't tell if this is the "oh no sorry horrible person i would love to stay and chat but I have urgent homework" or the ohno I forgot I actually have to hand something in tomorrow for a grade and now I have to do a caffeine fueled long nighter?

1 hour ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

I can't tell if this is the "oh no sorry horrible person i would love to stay and chat but I have urgent homework" or the ohno I forgot I actually have to hand something in tomorrow for a grade and now I have to do a caffeine fueled long nighter?

:lol: Neither. I decided to finish it tomorrow and come back online ;) 

10 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

It's so hard to figure out what you want in life and sometimes it's quite the opposite of what you thought you wanted. All I can say is that if something isn't working for you, quit. Be that a job or phd or anything. It's always good to try different things and it's never good to chain yourself to something you don't like just for the sake it. Good luck with your phd application and you are one of the smartest people I know, you'll be able to handle that intellectual challenge.

Yeah, I also like that. The fact that I'm able to do that.I'm very grateful for that. (But I'll be an insufferable first world problems meme and add that furnishing a place isn't an easy ride. I am thankful that I have the chance to struggle with it though). And I almost got an old vanity from my aunt but redoing that would have cost more than buying the new one that was 50% off. And I can make adjustments to the new one to get the characteristics I loved about the old one. I'll replace the handles and I'm considering adding velvet lining to the drawers. But I shouldn't ramble about furniture, because it's probably pretty boring by now.

My father recently said that one should not quit jobs too many times, since future potential employers will consider you flaky and untrustworthy when considering you for next jobs. Not sure if this still applies in today's market where they keep telling you to be flexible though ...

Thank you. :blushing:

I would probably try to repaint the old piece of furniture myself in that case. :P (The point that I would not want to have a vanity in the first place aside.) I would love to have a flat with a mixture of modern, new furniture and traditional old pieces, like a new sofa and then an old inherited book closet or such.

Velvet inside the drawers? That sounds impractical to clean.

9 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

:blushing::blushing::blushing: You all just have too much confidence in me. I am really just a lazy procrastinator that is afraid to make decisions.

It sounds like a character from a western to me honestly, some sort of a doctor. :P

Here most flats are rented to students, and those are almost always furnished. The ones rented to families by the state or the city governments are unfurnished, but there are way fewer of those. Most people want to own their own place, so renting is not even that common after graduating and finding a job (which can of course be tough today). I would say it is more common to live with your parents than to rent a flat in the time when you are looking for a permanent job/working part time/are not yet considering to start a family.

9 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Dr Buck sounds pretty cool, I agree!!!

:blushing: again.

My father did it when I was little too. There is a photo in our family album with a little Buck (about 1 year old I guess) sitting on his lap at a writing desk "helping him to write his PhD" by holding a pen in my hand that he is holding with his hand.

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

:leer:

45 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

:lol: Neither. I decided to finish it tomorrow and come back online ;) 

Mature adult decision making right here. Worthy of a decent college student.

3 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

:blushing::blushing::blushing: You all just have too much confidence in me. I am really just a lazy procrastinator that is afraid to make decisions.

hmmm. this is not a uncommon (mis)conception. I read it aloud to my partner and he said so am I two years in. 

What makes you great at science is laziness too. it cuts to the core of any issue since everything else is fluff. makes you ask the right questions. 

Archived