Advice to Stannis Baratheon

devilish

Lets say you’re HODK. What advice would you give to Stannis? Here is my list

1. Life is unfair. You consider your older brother as a lucky chap but he shouldn’t have lost his Lyanna and he certainly shouldn’t have ended up being cuckolded by Cersei and Jamie. Same can be said about Ned, an honourable man who ended up in jail for doing the right thing. Don’t expect things to be better for you. Its time you set aside your grievances against your brothers and focus on realistic goals. Your family depends upon it. Everyone plays with the hand dealt. That includes you.

2. Don’t expect people to change religion for you. The faith of the 7 will never accept a king who doesn’t believe in the faith of the 7 and the last thing you want is a crusade against you. Keep your religion inside your bed chamber.

3. Robert may have been a drunk and a fool but he ended up king of Westeros and that despite the fact that he was Lord of a land which fielded less troops to his cause than the Vale, the Riverlands or the North. Learn from him! Claim to the throne alone won’t cut it. You need to earn your crown same as Robert did and that can only be done by proving yourself on the battlefield.

4.  Forget the Stormlands for now. Fighting against Renly will be counterproductive either way. If you lose (which you probably will) then you’ll end up having to bend the knee to your brother or worse. If you win then you’ll probably have to commit kinslaying. Instead you should focus were your kingdom needs you the most. The wolf pup needs your guidance and you owe his father a great deal. Same can be said about the Tullys who fought for your brother’s claim to the crown and are being battered by these savages. 5k might not take you far but your discipline and experience in battle will help the Riverlands a great deal. Only the gods know how much the Tullys need someone with battle experience to guide them. Meanwhile your fleet can aid the young wolf to reach the Riverlands quickly. Commit to their cause and they will repay you with their loyalty.

5. Once you’ve got the Riverlands and the North in your hands everyone will take you seriously. However, the war isn’t over.  Focus on the details. Make it obvious to Walder that he won’t be allowed to sit out a second war without suffering repercussions. Same with Balon Greyjoy. Remind him of his vows to the crown + that his boy is just a stone throw away from him. If he commits his troops to his cause then his boys will be returned to him. If not, well, Roose Bolton is very very close to him.

6. You wont be able to crush all your enemies. So negotiate. Would Renly be willing to bend the knee if he’s offered the role of heir? He probably wont accept that which is fair enough. However you’re showing the world that you’re a king that you can negotiate with. Same with the Tyrells. Assure them that until they are backing the Baratheon cause they have nothing to fear on their regard. Regarding Jamie, resist the urge of executing him and instead exchange him for Sansa and Ned’s bones. The North will remember that and you’ll probably have a potential bride to offer to Willas in exchange of the Tyrells loyalty. Regarding blood magic…well as said, you are free to do whatever you want in your own chambers! Just pave the way to success first.

I'd advise him to run after Loras and the loyalists with the bulk of your force and get to Bitterbridge as soon as possible. Attack the Tyrells when they're at their most disoriented and collect the rest of your men. Even if it's a bloody fight it's still better than leaving the Tyrells to plot your demise.

11 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Your Grace, you're a southron fighting a winter campaign in the North. You don't know this land, its customs and traditions, but you'll do well observing them.

Therefore: do not eat yellow snow.

Har!

On 7.6.2017 at 3:44 PM, devilish said:

b. He doesn't expect people to convert. 

c. He is already an accomplished commander and didn't plan on anything other than meeting his enemies on the field. 

f. He actually did negotiate this deal with Renly and sent envoys to the Tyrells, who were killed. 

On 7.6.2017 at 4:03 PM, Drogonthedread said:

Give him a history lesson about someone who is called Aemon Targaryen who passed the throne to his brother because he didn't have any interest in it 

Don't forget that doing so brought the realm the heavily troubled reign of Aegon V. and eventually Aerys, with Aemon in charge the realm would have had decades more of peace, plenty and justice. 

My advice would be to ignore Penrose and use his second shadow baby on someone else. Of course, I'm not sure how this magic works, so maybe Penrose was his only feasible option. 

1) My king Robb Stark only seeks vengance and you know it. Send Davos Seaworth to negotiate an alliance as quickly as possible. Have him know of your intention to 

2) King Stannis try not to make it public that you are a follower of Rhollor and try to dispel that belief people have. Make it clear that you are a follower of the faith of the seven.

3) My king you must attack King's Landing immediately as soon as the Alliance with Robb Stark is made. The city watch is not a force to fear and have no comptent to lead them and the populace has no love for the Lannister i hear they hate them. If we strike quickly the Dragon and Iron gate at night with premade siege equipment we could take the city within hours.

4) Tywin would be trapped and destroyed by Robb Stark and yourself and by the time Renly arives to King's Landing, i hear Melissandre could dispose of him.

Stannis, give up your claim to the Iron Throne and bend your knee to Daenerys Targaryen.  She has the resources needed to fight the WW and she is the most worthy claimant.  Bend knee and swear fealty.  Serve as one of the queen's battle commanders beside Ser Barristan and you will be granted Storm's End for loyal service. 

On 6/7/2017 at 11:28 AM, LionoftheWest said:

"The best action would be to support your brother, Renly..." The headman's axe falls and my term in office is over.

I thought you were a Lannister not a Florent... I kid.

37 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

I thought you were a Lannister not a Florent... I kid.

I am, and to the last of my breaths I shall champion House Lannister. :D

But from House Baratheon's perspective, I think that Renly is the better option and that Stannis himself as much as the Lannisters broke the Baratheon hold on the throne.

Archived