Question for my Wife about Terry Pratchett

Ser Scot A Ellison

I agree with the suggestions of Small Gods, if being part of the larger Discworld series isn't a problem.  You don't have to have read any other Discworld books, and there's nothing like a direct sequel.  It's really the only truly 'one-shot' Discworld book I'd recommend, but happily it's also the best Discworld book.

Otherwise, you basically have to pick between Good Omens (which is a joint effort with Neil Gaiman) or Nation (which is Young Adult, if that's an issue), I think.  Well, I have a strange fondness for The Dark Side Of The Sun as well, but I've not read it since I was twelve and I suspect it's actually not very good...

"The Colour of Magic" and then read "The Light Fantastic". Both books are excellent, fantasy, funny and adventure reads. I loved reading those as a teenager. I really think anyone new to Terry Pratchett ought to start with those two fist Discworlds.

Small Gods is the best of the ones I read, regardless of series or not.

Pyramids seems to be often overlooked and it is quite good but nowhere as good as Small Gods.

18 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay, Laura is committed to reading a Terry Pratchett novel next year.  She doesn't want to get hooked into a series.  What is his best solo one shot novel.

Thanks

Wait, she DOESN'T want to get hooked on the series? So she wants to read Pratchett....and dislike it?

"Guards! Guards!" is an excellent starting point for someone who *wants* to like Pratchett. Otherwise I've got nothing. "Feet of Clay" was a bit boring so I guess if she wants to dislike it she could go for that one?

Wat. Like same level as "I need to do the laundry"?

Really. Once we leave high school nobody can make you read anything. (Which is the reason I think Balzac can go hang. No more of him.)

41 minutes ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Wat. Like same level as "I need to do the laundry"?

Really. Once we leave high school nobody can make you read anything. (Which is the reason I think Balzac can go hang. No more of him.)

Not quite.  It's an attempt to broaden her reading.  It's part of the "50 books a year" thing.  

Small gods best choice for Discworld but a bit more serious.

pyramids the most silly of the options, a very fun summer read

moving pictures is a delight, tremendously fun,especially if you like classic hollywood

wee free men is an awesome option

nation is non disc world and one of the best things he ever wrote

i vote nation

19 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Not quite.  It's an attempt to broaden her reading.  It's part of the "50 books a year" thing.  

Well, if I may ask, what other authors is she forcing herself to choke down? It just sounds so....unwilling, when you put it like that. :)

"I read this against my will, my better judgement and completely against my instincts" to badly paraphrase Mr Darcy.

2 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Well, if I may ask, what other authors is she forcing herself to choke down? It just sounds so....unwilling, when you put it like that. :)

"I read this against my will, my better judgement and completely against my instincts" to badly paraphrase Mr Darcy.

In the last two years she has choaked down War and Peace (She said the book could be summed up in an one phrase "Napoleon sucks but Alexander is brilliant") and The Brothers Karamazov (She said she hated every single character).  She is very well read but thinks she has some holes where she hasn't read everything she "should" have read.  She did enjoy Germinal so its not all torment

Archived